Sunday night! Fires

Guest Hayles

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fed up of repeatedly telling you the inconvinience outweighs the minor safety factor, if you actually learned to read you might have gotten some of that through your thick skull.

Now, I'm gonna put it in a simple equation.

-1 Fire = 2000 inconvienince + 1 safety

If you take negative fire and it equals 2 inconvienience, the inconvieniece wildly outweighs the minor safety aspect you get from banning fires.

It's another stupid rule bought in by FR just because they can.

Oh and you're damn right I'm gonna try and have our usual kneeheight fire on sunday this year, last year we didn't, we had a small barbecue going but seeing as security were c**ts I'll have a fire instead, I'm paying £220 to go I'll light a small fire for my group if I want to.

Edited by mrtourette

my last reading which was a bout 2004 time(changed to leeds since then)I had a gan cannister explode on my tent, luckily no one was in the tent at the time as we were chatting 2 or 3 metres away.

yes 999 will be fine with fires etc etc, but it only take one dick head to cause carnage.

That's a bit selfish, what about the people who pay £220 and expect to be able to come back to their tent and belongings on a Sunday night? Or do they have no right to expect this an instead should accept that it's a risk they're running? No wonder the festival is struggling to sell tickets. Over the last few years there have been several incidents that have been well out of order, ranging from massive fires that risk lives to morons running round on a Sunday night dragging other people's tent and belongings onto fires becuse they think that's what's supposed to happen on a Sunday night (presumably getting the idea from someone like you).

Yes it's harsh that the many get punished for the crimes of the few, but it happens everywhere and that's life. Grow up and accept it. Assuming you agree that setting other people's things on fire is out of line, not to mention setting portaloos and telegraph poles alight when the perpetrators have no intent or means of controlling it and therefore seriously endangering others and dragging security staff from all areas just to deal with a single incident, how would you deal with it? The campsite isn't some lawless zone that looks after itself and security are now sticking their noses in, is a place for customers to camp and in exchange for paying for their ticket and I don't think that's unreasonable for them to expect some kind of protection. Being naive when camping or coming to the festival is one thing but saying they shouldn't be surprised when that sort of stuff happens is ridiculous.

Also you blaming security and thinking it's a rule made up just for the hell of it shows how little you can see of the bigger picture. The fires in the campsites were pretty big stories and no matter how you view them were dangerous incidents that involved laws being broken - do you really think that Reading and Leeds councils would agree to renew the licenses for the festivals knowing what was going on? Do you really think they'd be happy signing off on the health and safety aspects of the festival without ensuring the safety of the public? As license holders FR aare responsible for the health and well-being of all attendees and would have been given a serious bollocking over that and would have had to make some pretty heavy assurances that they would control the risk of it happening again to continue to get a license, hence the sweeping control measures. I doubt the local councils would have been happy with an explanation of "well it's part of the experience, people should expect dangerous fires on the last night". No control, no festival. If you don't like it then your issues are with those above security and FR, try picketing your local council office or writing to your MP.

Also your maths is retarded.

Edited by Mega Ross

If you leave shit back at your tent you can't afford to lose then it's your own fault, you're leaving your stuff completely unattended, it comes with a risk of it getting knackered. I feel I should be able to come back to my tent and light a sensible fire or a barbecue to keep warm and cook food on.

When did I say I supported the riots, you're a f**king idiot for assuming so. And I think you should eat shit and f**king die for such slander, throwing me in with those idiots.

I've said sensible knee height fires or at least barbecues should be allowed, if security can't keep on top of the few idiots who can't control their fire then they should be sacked because they aren't doing their job properly. I aint got a problem with security, when they are being reasonable, but a lot of them seem to make their own rules up. I bet the people in white camp didn't have to put their barbecues out.

You don't seem to have a clue do you? Small controlled fires and destructive fires are completely different things.

Realistically if they couldn't control the destruction before, what difference is putting out the fires of innocent bystanders.

I'm not being funny, but it stands to reason, if you camp in between thousands of drunk people bad things can happen. If you can't deal with that go stay in a hotel.

I think it is a poor way to combat the end of festival idiocy and it is a rule invented just for superficial reasons, it doesn't work because it was always a control issue, nothing to do with the actual fires. It penalises genuine festival goers, the decrease in idiocy last year was due to the increase in police being on site and nothing more.

Now I would be happy with a compromise. Barbecues and solid fuel stoves on the sunday night fine but no fires, I could deal with that fine.

My maths is fine, you just don't seem to realise how little it actually brings to the safety aspect in comparison to the inconvinience.

If you leave shit back at your tent you can't afford to lose then it's your own fault, you're leaving your stuff completely unattended, it comes with a risk of it getting knackered. I feel I should be able to come back to my tent and light a sensible fire or a barbecue to keep warm and cook food on.

When did I say I supported the riots, you're a f**king idiot for assuming so. And I think you should eat shit and f**king die for such slander, throwing me in with those idiots.

I've said sensible knee height fires or at least barbecues should be allowed, if security can't keep on top of the few idiots who can't control their fire then they should be sacked because they aren't doing their job properly. I aint got a problem with security, when they are being reasonable, but a lot of them seem to make their own rules up. I bet the people in white camp didn't have to put their barbecues out.

You don't seem to have a clue do you? Small controlled fires and destructive fires are completely different things.

Realistically if they couldn't control the destruction before, what difference is putting out the fires of innocent bystanders.

I'm not being funny, but it stands to reason, if you camp in between thousands of drunk people bad things can happen. If you can't deal with that go stay in a hotel.

I think it is a poor way to combat the end of festival idiocy and it is a rule invented just for superficial reasons, it doesn't work because it was always a control issue, nothing to do with the actual fires. It penalises genuine festival goers, the decrease in idiocy last year was due to the increase in police being on site and nothing more.

Now I would be happy with a compromise. Barbecues and solid fuel stoves on the sunday night fine but no fires, I could deal with that fine.

My maths is fine, you just don't seem to realise how little it actually brings to the safety aspect in comparison to the inconvinience.

See this is the problem, it's not FR deciding to stop everyone having fun on the last night, it's the council deciding that's thye rules they want so the festival can continue. This is probably why there are different rules at Leeds.

So it all boils down to two things, do what the council asks and continue to have a Reading and Leeds or ignore the rules, continue having fires and have the licence revoked therefore no more Reading and Leeds.

Don't forget that Glastonbury nearly went down the tubes because they wouldn't follow the rules. Who helped sort it out so it didn't get banned? Melvin Benn, he know's what he's doin.

Security do a very good job at Leeds (since 2006 :rolleyes: ) and I'd imagine it's the same at Reading. People may seem to think that security is there enemy but they're not. They're there to protect everyone and for the most part are also there to ensure everyone has a good time.

All I can say is don't act like a c**t and you'll avoid the watching eye of security and have a decent, uneventful weekend.:)

Edited by rexclark

First: 'CAMPFIRES

Small clean, campfires only are allowed in the campsites - below knee height and less than one pace wide. They will be monitored and extinguished if otherwise. Last year we introduced a new policy which we will be continuing for 2011 – all campfires will be extinguished after 8pm on Sunday. There will be a firewood trader onsite to buy clean wood for your small campfires - clean firewood will be on sale until 6pm Sunday evening.'

It is not the rule to put out barbeques, so you can have one on sunday night. its unlucky that they put yours out!

Second: The problem I have with your argument is the ridiculous idea that peoples things deserve to be burnt/taken etc when they are away. This is the attitude that allows the shit on sunday to continue. Say something about it. All the people doing it are total wimps.

Third: stop insulting people, makes you sound like a dick. would much rather have a reasonable debate.

Whatever random equation you desire to invent, it is obviously a safety issue. Security can extinguish small fires before they are big enough to pose a threat to themselves or customers. Simples...

You're coming across as someone who has an axe to grind. You won't listen to others who have gave very valid reasons on why you can't have fires on the Sunday night. Fair enough you were perhaps treated harshly by security. They aren't all perfect are they? You were sadly just unlucky. Getting a BBQ put out is hardly the end of the world is it? I've seen security do awful things in the past, thankfully those days are gone.

I think a bit of perspective is really needed here.

I don't see them as valid reasons. I see them as the "valid reasons" FR has put accross to you with no proof to back them up, it's like say banning elderly people from walking, making them all use electric wheelchairs, ok they aren't gonna risk falling and breaking a hip, but it's gonna be a shit time for them.

When you've got 10-15 people in your camp who've run out of money and want to make something to eat after a 12 hour day in the arena, I think it is a pretty big deal that security put our barbecue out. Why not take the water taps too? And the longdrops? Apparently we don't need basic amenities on sunday night.

Not to mention when everyones freezing their balls off, I got in 6am the shower the next day. 3 of my toes had turned white and the nails had gone black, that is how cold it got on the sunday.

Edited by Mega Ross

Oh and you're damn right I'm gonna try and have our usual kneeheight fire on sunday this year, last year we didn't, we had a small barbecue going but seeing as security were c**ts I'll have a fire instead, I'm paying £220 to go I'll light a small fire for my group if I want to.

You've got to admire how well organised security are at Leeds. They do keep a lid on things, and in doing so keep the festival going btw. But step out of line and they don't take any prisoners. It's zero tolerance all the way.

No, I go to Reading and we had a knee high fire last year after 8. We were just sat around chatting and the security came over after 10 mins, went completely OTT shouting 'put it out, put it out'. They put it out and then just walked off.