ABUSE IN THE CROWD

Guest Vogue

I was really shocked by the idiots at V this year. I managed to get the front row for Stereophonics, and then Kings of Leon, but in the 30 mins before KOL a large group of overweight drunk men started to attempt to force my hands off the barrier and grab my waist to pull me backwards. I was with 2 friends, all relatively small girls, and two other girls, and as a massive KOL fan the abuse I receieved really put a downer on the performance.

The group of men then all got together to lean forward on top of us at the same time, with the intention of crushing us so much that we would ask to be lifted out. Several of them then peed down our legs, and even grabbed a clump of my hair and continuously pulled my head backwards and forwards for several minutes. On top of that, the things they were screaming in our ears was disgusting. I found the whole experience incredibly frightening, and although I seriously considered asking to be lifted out, I had been looking forward to the performance all weekend and so stayed put.

I was expecting to get a bit battered and bruised on the barrier, but I have never experience anything like that before. Is this really normal behaviour? The type of people at V seems to be getting worse every year- I don't think I'll be returning in a hurry.

Saw two young ish girls, one of them pushed her friend into another group of girls, when the other girls moved away or looked the girl who had pushed then pushed the bigger group of girls, obviously trying to casue trouble, I saw them do it again later and a women turned on them and head butted the girl, ha ha result.

I did see some bits and bats of trouble but overall there was a good atmosphere and now where near as bad as the piss throwing Oasis fans last year.

Saw two young ish girls, one of them pushed her friend into another group of girls, when the other girls moved away or looked the girl who had pushed then pushed the bigger group of girls, obviously trying to casue trouble, I saw them do it again later and a women turned on them and head butted the girl, ha ha result.

I did see some bits and bats of trouble but overall there was a good atmosphere and now where near as bad as the piss throwing Oasis fans last year.

Glad you noticed, I can totally realte this. We were talking about this around the campsite. So many idiots seemed to be there with a total lack of respect. Our experiences were obviosly not any where near as bad as yours but there were just so many people that wuld barge into you and not say excuse me. Totally out of order.

Ive been going to V for several years too. Theyre were exceptional amount of idiots there this year. It reminded me of leeds!!!!!! And also hurts when you get glow stick liquid in your eye ( from a nob who thought it was clever to chew the ends off them and shower everybody in it)

I can't remember seeing as much scummers as I did this year. 4 years and this is by far the worst year. When we went to pitch our tents we had some girls bitching about where it was as they couldnt get all their chairs out, but they didnt ask US to move, they just bitched REALLY loudly to the people next door. Some other girls then started moaning because my bag was in the way of their (empty) tent and had a go at me,until I state to them that if they ASKED my to move my bag I would, and next time not to be so f*in rude, then after that they were fine. In stereophonics I was next to a group of complete assholes who thought it would be fun to throw one of their group (a reasonably large man) into the crowd in front (me and my partner and a couple in their late 40's), so most of the phonics was ruined whilst I tried not to get crushed, then when he was about to crush me I pulled him down as hard as I could, hurt him and he walked off, score! But honestly, there was sooo many rude people there who didnt care about any one else this year, I'm debating trying a new festival now even though I love V :(

Our friends little sister came, it was her first festival, 2 x girls 19 year olds, they camped on Orange but further away from us. When they pitched up another group of older 30's and 40's people came and pitched around them and told them they were in tehir way, even though they were first, the girls just ignroed them but they could tell the older group were pissing on their tent, when they came back on Saturday they older group had un pitched their tent and chucked it over the fence, it was them, when they turned up they were all laughing and saying, is it moving day??

We just got their stuff and moved them onto our camp, they wont be going to another festival. We were tempted to kick off but when we went over for the clothes they crapped themselves enough realising the girls were with another 20 odd people that we did not need to.

I remember festival when I was younger though and the trouble was allot worse than what it is now, piss throuwing at donnington was imense and, old school raves/gigs have the reputation of everyone being loved up but there was nothing but fighting and trouble as far as I can remember

I had a brilliant time this year, probably better than last year. However, I certainly agree with your comment on some undesireables in the crowd. We, as a group, mentioned that there was more piss throwing and certainly more drug smoking this year. Then it clicked. What do you expect when suddenly there's more dance/DJ acts in the line up. It attracts a certain type of crowd I'm afraid and V needs to be very careful not to turn this gig into a rave weekend. There's other venues on the summer list for that sort of thing.

To the event organisers, please think about that for future events as people won't bother coming.

Edited by taxislag

I think Indie's thread about people with fake wristbands goes some way, I know there were undercover police in the camp as was talking to a bloke in blue waiting for a coffee, who then proceeded to have a good chat with his uniformed colleagues.

The p*ss chucking / beer chucking was best summed up by Weller - down right c**tish but its what you get and not as bad as Leeds / Donnington of old.

I was lucky in blue there wasn't anything kicking off but we had the regular kn*bjockeys shouting things at 3 / 4 am each night and doing bird impressions, but in the arena on Friday I saw a guy walking up and down push people to see if they'd react.

I don't think it was the line-up that caused the behaviour I just think this year we had a lot of tools with more free time as they hadn't booked their annual visit to Spain / Greece to trash that instead.

Anyways I had a great time and that's all I wanted

this was my first and last V. Me and my wife (both 38) went to Weston Park because the line up was amazing and we had always fancied doing a festival. However, there were just sooo many chavs and just basic f**king morons there it was unbelievable. Why pay all that money just to get pissed up and not even pay attention to the bands that are playing? I just dont get it. f**king idiots throwing piss about like primates. I saw this happen so many times until I got completely f**ked off with it and saw a lad who was behind me, about 20, pissing in his cup and his little divvy mates laughing talking about where to throw it. As soon as he finished and lifted the cup up, I just rammed my fist into the bottom of it and he got covered in it. He tried to get mouthy until I grabbed him by the throat and his little mates soon piped down! So sorry if this spoilt anybody else's enjoyment of the Stereophonics, but I'd just had enough.

The other thing that I found shocking was the amount of litter. So many lazy bastards just couldnt be arsed using the many, many bins around and just dumped there shit all over the place, it was f**king horrendous.

I have been told by many friends that V Fest is just a complete chav fest and that Glasto is totally different so I will be going there next year.

this was my first and last V. Me and my wife (both 38) went to Weston Park because the line up was amazing and we had always fancied doing a festival. However, there were just sooo many chavs and just basic f**king morons there it was unbelievable. Why pay all that money just to get pissed up and not even pay attention to the bands that are playing? I just dont get it. f**king idiots throwing piss about like primates. I saw this happen so many times until I got completely f**ked off with it and saw a lad who was behind me, about 20, pissing in his cup and his little divvy mates laughing talking about where to throw it. As soon as he finished and lifted the cup up, I just rammed my fist into the bottom of it and he got covered in it. He tried to get mouthy until I grabbed him by the throat and his little mates soon piped down! So sorry if this spoilt anybody else's enjoyment of the Stereophonics, but I'd just had enough.

The other thing that I found shocking was the amount of litter. So many lazy bastards just couldnt be arsed using the many, many bins around and just dumped there shit all over the place, it was f**king horrendous.

I have been told by many friends that V Fest is just a complete chav fest and that Glasto is totally different so I will be going there next year.

The piss throwing thing is a Manc thing really thats caught on with most people now. Did you see the piss throwing at Courteeners? It was unreal, put at the end of the day, your not going to piss on the person infront of you, and your certainly not going to go the loo while your fav band are on, so people throw it down the front.

Horrible I know, but ive come to grit my teeth and laugh it off now, its a festival norm.

Edited by paulbrock