Guest oafc0000

Who should lead Labour  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who should lead Labour

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I didn't realise you were that kind of Liberal...

That's the same old tired argument that has been proven wrong so many times before. It was used against the NMW, against the £150,000 tax, etc etc etc!

Let's not forget that it was Labour who were the only ones in favour of the NMW and what happened in 1997? The country gave them the authority to have it introduced. People care more about equality in wage than you think.

And let's not forget that after 13 years of Labour government, Ed Milliband reckons you left people earning poverty wages. And the earnings gap grew. People might care about wage equality, but there is f*ck all point voting labour to achieve it. We have the ludicrous situation that companies such as Tesco make billions in profit paying poor wages knowing the state will subsidise their wage bill.

I've gone over this a billion times before about how progressive change has to be shaped on a steady pace. The living wage is the next stop from the National Minimum Wage. The High Pay Commission will be the continuin part of the Low Pay Commisions legacy.

You're also exagerating shite there.

But please, until your ready to get up and do something, don't stand around criticising me for getting off my arse and trying to promote change.

Firstly, we have gone over this a billion times, you're right. However, your flaw in this argument, as I have repeatedly pointed out is that there is no point having progressive change at a steady pace if you aren't in government to implement change. That is, Labour were in government for 13 years. They are never going to be in government longer than that. What is the point of having change that takes 20 years if you only have 13 years to implement it? Are the coalition about to introduce a high pay commission? Because the problem with labour introducing it is that they aren't in a position to do so and when they were in a position to do so, they didn't do it.

Whilst not strictly a question about the current leadership vote, I thought that people here might be able to tell me why Tony Blair, who is the Middle East peace envoy for the United Nations, European Union, United States, and Russia is currently on a book signing tour whilst a peace conference is taking place in Washington between Palestine and Israel?

I realise that Blair was a Bush recruit to the role, and the current administration will want to be seen to be fixing the Middle East, but does the job mean so little that he actually isn't needed. Did he have anything to do with making this happen, or is it just that he is being paid no matter what he actually does?