Who was your.........

Guest Joe-

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been to SS for 5 of the last 7 years, I thought that musically this was the worst year by far but none the less I had a great weekend.

Normally I come away with 4-5 bands whose albums I buy purely from the strength of their set but there is none from this year which is a disappointment.

Highlights for me were - Roots Manuva, The Fall, Futureheads, Go! Team, Black Carrot, Erland & the Carnival.

Lowlights - Definately the Leicester Sound muppets - GET RID FOREVER!

I'm my opinion, most of the bill was nondescript and compared to previous years the majority of the line up proved uninsipring for me and the group of friends I was with but I admit folk music isn't my bag and that was an influence on a lot of the lineup on all stages.

Anyway, had a great weekend, ended up sitting in the real ale tent on Sunday after losing enthusiasm for the music and had a ball.

this year i completed 10 years of summer sundae service

highlights: the fall, steve mason and the leisure society

honorable mentions: the sunshine underground, the low anthem, tunng, the whip, jim smallman and the besnard lakes

biggest surprise: harper simon who opened with 'ever fallen in love with someone...'and the futureheads who cheered me up after watching the first part of the mumfords set - i just don't get it?!

major disappointment: 'the village' and in particular the absence of the real real ale tent with those nice people who served quality ale for the whole of the weekend. why change something that worked so well? the bars in general were expensive and of a generally low standard in comparison to previous years. also disappointed that the asian grub foundation was absent, cheap good quality indian food served in a great tent with good music!

the village vibe was not as good as in previous years........?

i missed: RH meandering around the camp site asking the punters how they were doin'

my favourite ss was probably 2006 or maybe 2005....

looking forward to: the end of the road festival

local commercial radio station in leicester. Damien St John and Naomi Kent are the current breakfast show presenters.

due to the more poptastic element to saturdays line up, they were brought in to present the outside stage acts.

They bigged up Tinchy before the Go! Team came on ... and people booed, quite a number! I'm not sure that I've ever heard a crowd boo a mention of the headliner before. I was quite shocked at that.

ss 2010 highlights: the fall, steve mason and the leisure society

honorable mentions: besnard lakes, the low anthem, the sunshine underground and tunng

biggest surprises: harper simon for opening with 'ever fallen in love....' and the futureheads for bringing me back up after watching the opening part of the mumfords set

lowlight: the village, where was the real real ale tent with the splendid people who serve good quality ale with a smile on their face, also missed the asian grub foundation with the great tent, gorgeous food and groovy music....

i missed: RH meandering around the site asking all if they were having a good time

favourite ss: 2006 or maybe 2005

I'm a bit late joining the debate, but here we go!

BEST BITS:

Meeting all you lovely efesters:

Andy Black, Ed Leaf, LLCoolPhil, Kaybee, Saintupnorth, Neil, Kerplunk, Leprekorn and Michala, the eternally lovely Niblets and anyone else I may have forgotten!

Our niece - her first festival and she loved it! Especially Diana Vickers and Tynchy! Thanks to Ian, Michala, Scott and Janine for spending time with her and making sure she enjoyed herself.

Niblet's Skittles Vodka and pre-mixed Godfather.

Music: The Go! Team, Turin Brakes, Teenage Fanclub, Mumfords, El Pussycat and Neville, By The River.

My big moans:

1) The missing pound! I forgot to ask for it when I picked my tickets up, and certainly wasn't offered it!

A friend told me that he had been informed by someone at ticket pickup that they had been instructed not to offer it unless someone specifically asked for it.

If that is true it's despicable and DMH should know better!

Can we expect that all the £1's they saved will be donated to charity?

2) Regents Camping. Very poor stewarding. When we arrived on Thursday we were denied the opportunity to drive down to the drop off point. We were told to go to Victoria and either carry our stuff down, or use the rickshaws!

Bearing in mind that people in family camping are liable to have more stuff, it was a ludicrous suggestion.

We had to park illegally and unload our gear, then move it from just inside the gates to our chosen pitch.

We weren't alone in this, we saw people with very young children also having to do the same as us.

Of course this coincided with the awful weather and we got soaked.

THEN we saw that they had started letting people drive onsite to unload!

This needs to be sorted out for next year.

Ken would have been pragmatic enough to orgaise things properly, not just stand there helplessly and let everything get out of hand!

We also didn't like the fact that the 'back door' entrance was closed this year. I was told this was due to a request by the Fire Brigade.

Is this true, or just an excuse to use less stewards by blocking off an entrance / exit?

Anyway, grumbling over, all in all, we had a marvellous time, and hope it's back on next year!

Pics of Diana and Tynchy are on Flickr http://www.flickr.co...tupnorth/page2/.

Thanks Mike, I'll go have a crafty peep!

Andy Black was going to look into getting DMH to donating the 'unclaimed' £1's to Loros. Given has workload maybe we should drop DHM a line.

yeah, sorry i've done nothing about that, specifically due to workload. clearly im a big fan of anyone giving money to LOROS. and to clairfy DMH paid for the fringe festival wristbands as a clear gesture of goodwill and support both to the fringe and LOROS (which is very much appreciated), so it's not as though they have'nt done nothing. but as always, the more the better i guess, but it's not really something to do with me.

Edited by andyblack

ss 2010 highlights: the fall, steve mason and the leisure society

honorable mentions: besnard lakes, the low anthem, the sunshine underground and tunng

biggest surprises: harper simon for opening with 'ever fallen in love....' and the futureheads for bringing me back up after watching the opening part of the mumfords set

lowlight: the village, where was the real real ale tent with the splendid people who serve good quality ale with a smile on their face, also missed the asian grub foundation with the great tent, gorgeous food and groovy music....

i missed: RH meandering around the site asking all if they were having a good time

favourite ss: 2006 or maybe 2005

Tenth year for me and another good one.

Friday was terrific, Megaphonic Thrift , Erland and the Carnival, Lissie. The Sunshine Underground took the award for energy, sound and kick starting the festival.

Let down by Teenage fanclub, their jangling guitars and harmonies did not cut through the gloom as effectively as Turin Brakes did the following day, during the downpours.

I really wanted to get into Roots Manuva but thought he was pants and jumpd ship to watch Seasick Steve (again) but still entertaining.

Saturday, not the best day in Summer sundae history but Black Carrot, Turin Brakes, THe Leisure Society, Goldheart Assembly, Caribou and THe Fall were enough to keep me happy.

STornaway a bit dull. The Go Team, what a mash up, don´t get it. (but I got BLack Carrot!)

Sunday, the young leicester soulsters in the musician tent were great, Megafaun, Besnard Lakes, Johnny Flynn, Frightened Rabbit and THe Futureheads (yep left Mumford to it after 15 enjoybale minutes to be pleasantly surprised by The Futureheads)

As much as I love acoustic , americana folky sounds, THE Sunshine Underground and THe Futureheads gave the whole weekend a much needed kick up the arse.

People who stand on the walkways needed a keep up the arse too, get out of the way , let the festival people flow. The only other minor gripe , to an otherwise perfectly set up site, the path to the rising stage was too narrow,too many stalls and punters clogging the way.

Oh and MILTON JONES in the comedy tent, outstanding !

Roll on 2011

2) Regents Camping. Very poor stewarding. When we arrived on Thursday we were denied the opportunity to drive down to the drop off point. We were told to go to Victoria and either carry our stuff down, or use the rickshaws!

Bearing in mind that people in family camping are liable to have more stuff, it was a ludicrous suggestion.

We had to park illegally and unload our gear, then move it from just inside the gates to our chosen pitch.

We weren't alone in this, we saw people with very young children also having to do the same as us.

Of course this coincided with the awful weather and we got soaked.

THEN we saw that they had started letting people drive onsite to unload!

This needs to be sorted out for next year.

Ken would have been pragmatic enough to orgaise things properly, not just stand there helplessly and let everything get out of hand!

My big moans:

1) The missing pound! I forgot to ask for it when I picked my tickets up, and certainly wasn't offered it!

A friend told me that he had been informed by someone at ticket pickup that they had been instructed not to offer it unless someone specifically asked for it.

If that is true it's despicable and DMH should know better!

Can we expect that all the £1's they saved will be donated to charity?

I notice from what else you said that you arrived on the Thursday.

I got a call on the Thursday at around lunchtime from an efests regular, bringing my attention to the fact that the pound wasn't being given unless requested despite one of the DMH staff having posted on here that it would be refunded. I brought this issue to the attention of Rob and others at DMH, and this issue should have been addressed and corrected at some point before 3pm on the Thursday (I was told it was, tho don't know for sure that it was).

So hopefully, the number of people this affected was fairly small.