Sunday 'American' headliner

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wowww.

I hope there is someone good on one of the other stages come Sunday night...from the suggestions of who it could be so far, it's not going to be to my liking.

It's been mentioned a few times about the fact that the Sunday nighter usually targets the wider audience therefore Madonna probably fits the bill. Definitely worthwhile catching the last 20 mins - to say that you've seen her - other than that I'm hoping there are plenty of alternatives to my taste.

I will add however, I got a sneaking suspicion REM may have been someone Michaeld may have been after for a few years...

He may have also forgotten he is Canadian.

I think it rules out GAGA which is nice.

I think Prince would be the most appropiate headliner, for the worlds biggest festival have one the worlds biggest artists.

Madonna, does seem likely, although I will not be in the same area as her if she does play.

Dave Matthews Band would be nice

just googled american female solo artists and got this

01. STREISAND, BARBRA 71.5 Million.

02. MADONNA 64 Million.

03. CAREY, MARIAH 63 Million.

04. HOUSTON, WHITNEY 55 Million.

05. DION, CELINE 50 Million.

06. TWAIN, SHANIA 48 Million.

07. REBA, MCENTIRE 41 Million.

08. SPEARS, BRITNEY 32 Million.

09. RONSTADT, LINDA 30 Million.

10. JACKSON, JANET 26 Million.

11. HILL, FAITH 25.5 Million.

12. SADE 23.5 Million.

13. MORISSETTE, ALANIS 20.5 Million.

14. BRAXTON, TONI 19.5 Million.

15. MC LACHLAN, SARAH 18.5 Million.

16. JEWEL 18.5 Million.

17. BLIGE, MARY J. 18 Million.

18. JONES, NORAH 17 Million.

19. GRANT, AMY 17 Million.

20. RIMES, LEANN 16.5 Million.

21. CROW, SHERYL 16 Million.

22. JOPLIN, JANIS 15.5 Million.

23. ESTEFAN, GLORIA 15.5 Million.

24. KEYS, ALICIA 15 Million.

25. AGUILERA, CHRISTINA 14.5 Million.

Edited by ampersand

so, have we clarified if Eavis did indeed say that this American is a female? or am i foolishly hoping that the ambiguity means that Prince (whom he said he had for 2003 and then 2004) is really "in" this time, since I can think of no one else who fits so well the "been after for years and yonks" bit? I do think that given his Roskilde booking this year, that GFL must have made an effort to get him for 2011, and maybe it did work out. the other male that has been rumoured on and off since 2002 is Enimen, whom some tabloid speculated recently was on the shortlist for '11 headliners???

Otherwise...yes, indeed, it has to be Madonna. Tina Turner doesn't cut it for anything but an mid-afternoon legends slot (Dame Shirley Bassey slot), and surely he hasn't been trying to book Beyonce any further in the past than the Jay Z booking. But you never know with Eavis who excels at misspeaking.

If Take That and Madonna are two of the 'confirmeds' i might be taking the year off, since I am already having to pull out all the tricks just to get permission to go next yr as it is.

Whitney Houston headlining with Amy Winehouse sub-headliner. Bolivia announce national holiday.

Can't see it being anyone but Mags if it's a female, though ol' Michael can come out with contraditory statements sometimes, it's either his age, that somerset cider or he just likes to play around with people.

Could get tempted to see that old skank, she does have a lot of hits.

so, have we clarified if Eavis did indeed say that this American is a female? or am i foolishly hoping that the ambiguity means that Prince (whom he said he had for 2003 and then 2004) is really "in" this time, since I can think of no one else who fits so well the "been after for years and yonks" bit? I do think that given his Roskilde booking this year, that GFL must have made an effort to get him for 2011, and maybe it did work out. the other male that has been rumoured on and off since 2002 is Enimen, whom some tabloid speculated recently was on the shortlist for '11 headliners???

Otherwise...yes, indeed, it has to be Madonna. Tina Turner doesn't cut it for anything but an mid-afternoon legends slot (Dame Shirley Bassey slot), and surely he hasn't been trying to book Beyonce any further in the past than the Jay Z booking. But you never know with Eavis who excels at misspeaking.

If Take That and Madonna are two of the 'confirmeds' i might be taking the year off, since I am already having to pull out all the tricks just to get permission to go next yr as it is.

if it's Prince then that's another headliner who'd be headlining for the much needed credibility boost that Glasto would give.

isn't it Eminem?

Loads of rumours about him. Unless of course it definitely IS a female...

I know there's loads of rumours, but I'm taking them to be bollox for no particular reason.

It's certainly the case that he doesn't fit the "been after them for years and years" bit - there was certainly a time when he'd have been immediately discounted by Glasto as someone who might play.