Michael Eavis has confirmed 2011 headline acts

Guest garethslee

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine, whom I trust not to make stuff up, and who does some work involved with Glasto is pretty adament that its U2, Kylie and Radiohead.

That said, certainly not sticking my neck on the line with it, because I don't really know why he would end up being told (by anyone who truely knows anyway) even though he does some work with the festival, and even though I don't believe for a second he would be bothered to make it up, or be taken in by some BS rumours.

But yeah, who knows, just throwing it out there.

A friend of mine, whom I trust not to make stuff up, and who does some work involved with Glasto is pretty adament that its U2, Kylie and Radiohead.

That said, certainly not sticking my neck on the line with it, because I don't really know why he would end up being told (by anyone who truely knows anyway) even though he does some work with the festival, and even though I don't believe for a second he would be bothered to make it up, or be taken in by some BS rumours.

But yeah, who knows, just throwing it out there.

I'm not sure about Prince not playing to be honest. I think Prince headlining and kylie second from top. I understand the thing about him wanting money, but when he did those dates at O2, he kept tickets prices lower than usual ( for those sorts of gigs) so he can feasibly play for less money. And if he is doing Hyde park and IOW, say, around the same time, he could enough money for that to compensate.

Madonna seems unlikely, just because i can' t believe eavis has been trying for years to get her.

I'm not sure about Prince not playing to be honest. I think Prince headlining and kylie second from top. I understand the thing about him wanting money, but when he did those dates at O2, he kept tickets prices lower than usual ( for those sorts of gigs) so he can feasibly play for less money. And if he is doing Hyde park and IOW, say, around the same time, he could enough money for that to compensate.

Madonna seems unlikely, just because i can' t believe eavis has been trying for years to get her.

Aye probably. I notice he's not on the rumours list anymore. Madonna still is, which I s'pose would be the same reasons I'd think Prince would do it (i.e. a metaphorical "hey everyone, remember me?")

Kanye is attempting a similar rehabilitation after vanishing up his own rectum (or, at least seeming to notice that he'd done so) and the Eavii have asked him before albeit to headline the Other Stage in 2009 (link- http://www.monstersandcritics.com/music/news/article_1435289.php/Kanye_West_to_play_at_next_year_s_Glastonbury)

It's JLS people ;)

I have a 10yr old sister who informs me that it does not stand for Jump Little Squirrels, Jeff's Lesbian Secretary or Jesus' Lycra Swimsuit but infact JACK the Lad Swing...

Being serious though if the American artist is someone Eavis has wanted for ages who has never played before Prince is the obvious but if it wasn't him could it be David Byrne? Is he well known enough these days? (I lose track of these things) he can't be old enough to play the legends slot yet but I think lots of his stuff (especially the classic Talking Heads songs) would go down really well at Glasto.

Being serious though if the American artist is someone Eavis has wanted for ages who has never played before Prince is the obvious but if it wasn't him could it be David Byrne? Is he well known enough these days? (I lose track of these things) he can't be old enough to play the legends slot yet but I think lots of his stuff (especially the classic Talking Heads songs) would go down really well at Glasto.

I'd absolutely love David Byrne to headline, but he's far too small an act for that.

If Talking Heads reformed (not that it will ever happen) I'm not even sure they'd be big enough to headline, cos despite being the best band in the world ever (can you tell I'm a fan? :P) they were never really that big in as mainstream sense. Then again, they're now supposedly the most-wanted reform of any band, so in that sense I guess they would be suitable to headline.

When Byrne was touring the "songs from Byrne & Eno" show last year - which had a set stuffed full of the best Talking Heads songs (plus a few of the best of Byrne solo) and was utterly brilliant (I saw him 3 times) - Michael Eavis suggested to me that he'd enquired about booking him for last year, but that wasn't going to happen (at least, not at the time Michael told me) as Byrne had dates already advertised for the USA over Glasto weekend.

well, it appears that I'm probably definitely wrong with the one of the possibilities I'd been thinking might have been one of the booked headliners, but I wasn't very sure of that one anyway.

The other one, which I had a reasonable bit of confidence in is still up in the air. It might still be right, tho there's something (which I can't yet take with any certainty) that's saying it's wrong.

:D ..

are you sure about that Neil?

That's the thing - I'm very much unsure.

Someone has told us something which in theory should be definitive and 100% correct. Yet some of what was said was immediately contradicted by someone else who knows what's what.

So one of them was playing with us. The problem is working out which one it was, and what of what they said can be trusted and what can't.

Edited by eFestivals

Nice to see the news story saying about having the three biggest bands in the world, can't wait to see who it is.

In my head the three biggest bands in the world (that are still together and about) are some combination of I dunno...

U2

The Stones

Radiohead?

Possibly the Foo's

I think your clear bias is clouding your judgement there, Neil, as far as I understand it and I think Ladbrokes confirm it with odds, the most wanted reform of any band is The Jam, they're still incredibly popular some twenty eight years after going their separate ways. I guess though, this should be a topic worthy of its own thread as I'm sure a lively debate would ensue!

Nope, there's nothing clouding my judgement - they were named as that by a poll that 6music did a while back.

But I know it's never going to happen, not in a million years. There's too much gone on between the band members for those things to ever be put aside and forgotten.

Nope, there's nothing clouding my judgement - they were named as that by a poll that 6music did a while back.

But I know it's never going to happen, not in a million years. There's too much gone on between the band members for those things to ever be put aside and forgotten.