Does Glasto attract a certain type of crowd?

Guest Dirty_Dave

Having recently received a few comments why people prefer other Festivals over Glasto, one reason that seems to pop up is because people perceive that the type of people that go to Glasto are c**ts, arseholes, middle class twats etc etc etc.

What what i saw this year, the crowd couldn't have been more diverse from old (my parents) to young (friends 2 year old daughter), Chavvy to Posh (Prince Charles), hippies to ravers!!

Thats what i love about it though, there seems to be something there for everyone!

If i had to sum up the type of person Glasto attracts, i think it would have to be laid back Open-Minded fun seekers. :D

Part of the reason why people perceive Glasto goers as C**ts etc is because of our love of Glastobaiting. When we incessantly bang on about what we can consider the best festival in the world, it can put people's backs up. Yet we can't help it, it is more than a festival, it is a major part of our lives. We can also dismiss their favourite festivals with comments such as "Yeah, but, it's not Glastonbury" which can come across as condescending.

Part of the reason why people perceive Glasto goers as C**ts etc is because of our love of Glastobaiting. When we incessantly bang on about what we can consider the best festival in the world, it can put people's backs up. Yet we can't help it, it is more than a festival, it is a major part of our lives. We can also dismiss their favourite festivals with comments such as "Yeah, but, it's not Glastonbury" which can come across as condescending.

I think the difference between Glasto and other festivals is that, at Glasto, there is no demographic. There are people from all walks of life, from the poorest to the richest, from every class, race, religion, age group, etc. You can't pin down a 'typical Glastonbury punter' because they don't exist. There is entertainment to suit every age and taste, barring perhaps heavy metal.

The only thing we all have in common is a love of Glastonbury festival and that's what makes it unique and special :)

i think Glasto is so superb due to it's wide range of people. It's brilliant. I loved singing along to Stevie with my girlfriend (both of us 19) with theseyounger people in front of us, and another couple in their (i think) 40's. It's just nice to mingle with different people of different ages and backgrounds.

98% of people the are really nice though thats why I love it so much, I was at the front for muse(I'm 16) and was talking to this 35 year old, he was really cool think he was drunk though, he gave me some alcohol and kept going on that from my parents perspective it might look like he was "grooming" me haha. What a legend. Everyone there is really chatty, even the chavs which is a bit odd.

The beauty of Glastonbury is in its diversity. I've also yet to meet a person who has visited Glasto and hasn't had their perspective on life changed in some way. It really is so much more than a music festival...

First went 2004, at the grand old age of 31.....and that Glastonbury LITERALLY changed my life

i would reckon a good percentage of the under 25 crowd at glasto are exactly the same people that go to reading etc. yet they behave differently at glasto.

and this is why i now believe in leylines. :D

Edited by fowls

I have been to Glastonbury twice and never seen a single fight. There are 185,000 people pissed for 5 nights and not one fight. Compare that to a night out in your average town centre 10,000 say people and you'll see fights galore. And I bet if you put a lot of the well behaved teens at Leeds they would be causing bother.

I agree with other posters that one of the joys is the complete mix of ages and backgrounds and the general spirit of sharing.

But I sensed a bit more of an East - West split this year with the younger ones mainly over to the West at the John Peel/Dance areas and the older ones more towards the Acoustic Stage with the occasional coming together at the Pyramid.

I also noticed a few more non-white faces than in previous years. Last year I only counted 10 non-white faces all weekend so I hope Glasto is broadening its appeal beyond white, middle class.

I find it's a varied crowd from the two I've been to, and there's a definate change in atmosphere from area to area. Think my favourite area is around Avalon and Greenfields way, was having a great chat about birdwatching with some bloke up there before the Lightning Seeds as both my mates headed off to see Muse.

I think Glastonbury attracts everyone - by it's nature you're more likely to see certain types of people in certain areas but with the diversity of the acts playing there's bound to be a mix throughout each 'territory' as well.

I'd also say that the behaviour at Glasto is probably down to how there feels as if there's less rules than at other major festivals and friendlier policing and that - people are more likely to self regulate their behaviour as a result. It's a nice feeling :)

I have been to Glastonbury twice and never seen a single fight. There are 185,000 people pissed for 5 nights and not one fight. Compare that to a night out in your average town centre 10,000 say people and you'll see fights galore. And I bet if you put a lot of the well behaved teens at Leeds they would be causing bother.

Most people think they're better than those who make different choices to them. Glastonbury goers think Glastonbury is best... some at other festivals think we're c**ts, some people at Glastonbury think some at other festivals are c**ts.

Most people are really nice... it's best not to even bother thinking about it. Make your own choices and have the best life you can... it's really not worth worrying about how you're being perceived by strangers.

Most people think they're better than those who make different choices to them. Glastonbury goers think Glastonbury is best... some at other festivals think we're c**ts, some people at Glastonbury think some at other festivals are c**ts.

Most people are really nice... it's best not to even bother thinking about it. Make your own choices and have the best life you can... it's really not worth worrying about how you're being perceived by strangers.

and to be honest , Glasto surely isnt about analysing everything and everyone that you experienced over the time. Its about stepping out of the norm , the routine and doing spontanious celebration of being alive in whatever form. You can slate types of people at a festival but then again we can be justly slated for going on the internet and moaning about little things when we should be cherishing the good memories we have and perhaps taking a leaf out of the glasto vibe and accepting people rather than stereotypes