Surround Sound Areas at Glasto

Guest godders1966

Does anyone know any information about those 2 stages at Glasto that produced that fantastic surround sound?

If you chose your position right the sound created was immense. I'm not a massive dance music fan but you could not fail to be impressed with the quality of the whole sonic experience.

Does anyone know who is responsible for creating those stages? How is the surround sound created by live DJ's? Is it commercially available to buy in 5.1 DTS or Dolby? Were there any other surround sound areas apart from those two? Is this type of set-up found at any other clubs or festivals in the UK?

Any more info gratefully received.

Thanks.

if your referring to the open air set up behind glade, by the side of the hill approaching shangri-la, etc...then that wud be tony andrews funktion 1 rig...hes the creator of funktion 1 and very nice chap...he let me and the other audio farm boys do a dj set there on saturday...really good sound!

there was also a van that belonged to jade jagger and her husband that had a funktion 1 rig fitted into it that was playing at 1 point.

i was generally impressed with most of the sound systems at glasto...a lot of funktion 1 all over the site :)

if your referring to the open air set up behind glade, by the side of the hill approaching shangri-la, etc...then that wud be tony andrews funktion 1 rig...hes the creator of funktion 1 and very nice chap...he let me and the other audio farm boys do a dj set there on saturday...really good sound!

there was also a van that belonged to jade jagger and her husband that had a funktion 1 rig fitted into it that was playing at 1 point.

i was generally impressed with most of the sound systems at glasto...a lot of funktion 1 all over the site :)

Didn't they stick funktion one speakers on the pyramid stage a few years back and they sucked?

I agree though sound at the stages with 'the pointy speakers' is always the best, particularly the glade.

I love walking through the dance village at about sunset when the sound fades in from one stage to the other, same as the arcadia/unfair ground areas.

Think they did in 2007 have funkction 1 on the pyramid.

apparently now it consists of

"London’s RG Jones Sound Engineering provided a full Synco package for the Pyramid stage. The main stage PA included a Synco by Martin Audio W8L Longbow main PA and Martin Audio delays, a Synco cardioid sub-bass array and a complete Synco stage monitoring and drum fill system. The PA is described as an advanced version of 08’s Pyramid PA, which was a collaboration between RG Jones and Martin Audio’s Jason Baird and Jim Cousins, both of whom joined the system design team again this year with Chris Ekers." (copyed and pasted from the internetz)

I wish I knew more about this type of thing as I think the effort and production that goes into the sound etc is really interesting and made a big difference to my enjoyment of the bands.

Think they did in 2007 have funkction 1 on the pyramid.

apparently now it consists of

"London’s RG Jones Sound Engineering provided a full Synco package for the Pyramid stage. The main stage PA included a Synco by Martin Audio W8L Longbow main PA and Martin Audio delays, a Synco cardioid sub-bass array and a complete Synco stage monitoring and drum fill system. The PA is described as an advanced version of 08’s Pyramid PA, which was a collaboration between RG Jones and Martin Audio’s Jason Baird and Jim Cousins, both of whom joined the system design team again this year with Chris Ekers." (copyed and pasted from the internetz)

I wish I knew more about this type of thing as I think the effort and production that goes into the sound etc is really interesting and made a big difference to my enjoyment of the bands.

the canopies across from the stage act as sound reflectors returning the sound, noticed it at arcadia last year where the sound was coming back from the canopy over the bar,

Thunder ridge speakers used to be the speakers of choice for most venues but dont know if they are still used? its not too difficult getting a proper sound if you have little constraints.... ie: money. any sound engineer worth his salt can set up a system.

curious... lostriot ? what is your pretty excellent by home standards cardboard hifi?

Edited by port

Yes that's the set up we found, by the Glade. Mighty impressive sound. As a matter of interest how does the DJ generate the surround sound? Does he control the different channels himself or is it just done automatically by clever electronics.

I also agree with your last comment about the high quality of the sound systems across the whole site. Every stage and area I visited had a very impressive sound. It really makes a huge difference to my enjoyment when the sound quality is so high.

The sound on the pyramid this year was amazing, the best I remember it, at the sound test on Thursday (I think) they played bullets by tunng and I love that song so I listened to it again the other day, and it sounds crap. The awesomeness of the pyramid stage has reduced my really pretty excellent by home standards hi fi to sounding like cardboard.

The test on Thursday was great - but for Faithless (forinstance) the bass died off badly for anyone behind the sound desk, it would be nice for them to add another bass array for those further back. But I couldn't fault the rest of the sound no more nasty dip outs and straining to hear anyone all weekend (low winds helped I guess) - the set up was terrific this year, as good as the Roger Waters rig in 2002.

its not really the dj producing any surround sound effect...im no expert but i think the set up had all the of the speakers perfectly, acoustically positioned which gave spot on sound wherever you were within the circle-ish shape...if i remember they were some new speakers he was working on so should be the best out there, funktion 1 wise right now.

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know any information about those 2 stages at Glasto that produced that fantastic surround sound?

If you chose your position right the sound created was immense. I'm not a massive dance music fan but you could not fail to be impressed with the quality of the whole sonic experience.

Does anyone know who is responsible for creating those stages? How is the surround sound created by live DJ's? Is it commercially available to buy in 5.1 DTS or Dolby? Were there any other surround sound areas apart from those two? Is this type of set-up found at any other clubs or festivals in the UK?

Any more info gratefully received.

Thanks.

Dunno about dance music, but here's a couple of highly recommended 5.1 DVD recommendations:

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World

Full 5.1 mix of the album, with animated videos provided by various people. As an alternative angle, you can watch a spectograph of the location of the sound on a 2D plot.

Cornelius - Five Point One

A 5.1 mix of the wonderful album "Point", with the videos that formed the backdrop to the live show. I could only find a US import, so make sure you know about DVD region locks.

I'm sure there's loads more, especially footage of live shows -- but these are two that I can recommend, which are studio recordings mixed in surround at a time when it was a newish gimmick as a mainstream home option, which means there's lots of fun gimmicks in the way they've mixed it; voices rotating around you and so forth.

I was working for F1 on the stage next to glade. The sound field is created using ambisonic encoders which take the stereo mix from the DJ's and allow you to make changes to the sound (such as filtering specific frequencies) and panning as well as many more. This altered ambisonic mix is then specifically decoded to accommodate the type of speaker layout being used. This processing, along with the crystal clear sound reproduction of F1's speakers, is what gives that sonic experience. You would need quite a few bits of kit to make the system yourself. Hope this helps, message me for more info.

Cheers

Mx

Dunno about dance music, but here's a couple of highly recommended 5.1 DVD recommendations:

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World

Full 5.1 mix of the album, with animated videos provided by various people. As an alternative angle, you can watch a spectograph of the location of the sound on a 2D plot.

Cornelius - Five Point One

A 5.1 mix of the wonderful album "Point", with the videos that formed the backdrop to the live show. I could only find a US import, so make sure you know about DVD region locks.

I'm sure there's loads more, especially footage of live shows -- but these are two that I can recommend, which are studio recordings mixed in surround at a time when it was a newish gimmick as a mainstream home option, which means there's lots of fun gimmicks in the way they've mixed it; voices rotating around you and so forth.