Anyone else wish they didn't go this year?

Guest glastonbury2008

Hmmmmm, you know ... *IF* I were going to moan about any particular group/type/flavour of peeps winding me up at Glasto and attempting (but failing dismally) to 'spoil' my festival then it sure as h*ll wouldn't be the youngsters :)

Without a constant influx of shiny new young peeps each and every year Glasto would almost certainly die on it's feet in a fairly short space of time no matter how much some peeps would like to think otherwise. It would defo become distinctly boring and so-so anyway IMHO. Selfish, inconsiderate, noisy, too excited, too off their t*ts on something-or-other, unfriendly, well dressed (or otherwise), badly behaved or whatever peeps come in ALL shapes and sizes and in ALL ages and live in ALL parts of the Country. *IF* I were going to moan about anyone at all ... then it would actually be the significant number of peeps very much nearer to my own age (and I'm defo well into olde farte territory) who after at least a decade or 2 of experience, still apparently don't know how to have a bl**dy good time in whatever way they might choose to WITHOUT making what often appears to be a very significant effort to spoil someone else's good time ;)

I kinda understand what the OP is saying, esp so having had Ye Olde Tent virtually trashed by tw@ts this year :( and now finding meself having to spend somewhat more than a Glasto Ticket in getting it sorted so I actually have something to use for the rest of this summer ... but I do think you need to be *very* careful where you try to point the finger when making accusations and indeed for what you wish for as well. Sweeping generalisations are rarely a good thing at any time and esp not where Glasto is concerned.

I also think peeps responding ought to bear very much in mind that you can't choose your neighbours at Glasto either of course. There will always be an appropriate number of tw@ts various at Glasto. Just because you didn't see them or they weren't camped right next to you doesn't mean they weren't on site ... and camped next to some other poor b*gger.

Edited by mikeb

Well we had a great time, yes it was very busy at times but it was very sunny and people wern't in their tents as much. Young people didn't seem any worse than any previous years. They're there to have a good time as well and from what I could see most of them did just that without causing grief. Drugs at glasto god forbid eh, there was drugs at the first glasto and there will always be until the last one is over n done with.... Straightish people seem to forget that alcohol is a drug, legal it may be, that effects the same part of the central nervous system as heroin, is very addictive and causes internal organ damage and on occasion turns normally nice people into complete arseholes. :huh:

As for the tent you could have always pitched it back inside their marquee or moved it or realised that if there was room to move your tent slightly to allow others to camp then maybe your tent was taking up too much room in the first place. There are always fires at the campsites especially where there are larger groups camped together, this year I saw a lot of wood that had been collected and not burnt by monday when we were leaving. One of our group had his tent damaged which was unfortunate but he wasn't too bothered, he managed to get it upright although he might have had to dive in ours if it had been raining. People will trip over guy lines in the dark so it was probably an accident although we didn't see it happen so who knows?? You have to live and let live. Just because it don't float your boat doesn't mean it's wrong.

Seems to me you where more concerned with what other people thought about you, than you actually enjoying the festival. how can it be the festivals fault if some toss pots move your tent???

Start enjoying yourself more & f**k what anyone else thinks, its a festival not fookin fashion parade!!!

you seemed to let very trivial things ruin your festival..

plenty of things piss me off at festivals, things pissed me off at glastonbury aswell, when there's that many people in one place, people will be annoying.. but i still enjoy myself. glastonbury was the best 5 days of my life, i'm not going to let the rudeness of a few dafties ruin it for me.

I am a teeneger and see his points, maybe I am just cynical? I am not saying it ruined my weekend, but I can see how if you got a bit bad luck and encourted it to much it could ruin the festival for you. I know it certaitnyl happened to me after dizie (my fault for going to see dizie enjoying it and then thinking staying would be good idea for gorillaz)

Well my first one and I was overwhelmed by how f**king cool it was. Saw no trouble to speak of , just lots of people having agreat time and always ready to help .. Now I know what people mean whne they go all misty eyed about Glasto. Wish I had of gone years ago... Loved every second . even when I was moaning about the heat !!

Never seen any difference this year than before only problem I encountered was at Stevie where two teenage girls were talking constantly during show asked them to be quiet and they apologised and then carried on talking . Looked as if they were on some kind of stimulant so we just moved 5 yards away problem solved .

Moving a tent is not on, but then again we don't know the full story. On the face of it though, it's shit.

I am intrigued by the "looking down on me for t shirt and jeans" comment. How/what was said/gestured to make you feel you were being looked down upon?

Unless you can provide specifics, I am going to think you have overdone the weed and are on the paranoid bus.

I think people are being a bit hard on the OP here.

It occurs to me that the first 5 points could all be related to the people he had camping around him - points 1 and 4 certainly are. Sadly it's always been a lottery who you find camping around you, no matter where you camp, and if the OP was unlucky enough to find himself surrounded by twunts maybe he was just sensitised to the other twats that are always about at glasto.

As for the last point, he's far from alone in that opinion. I didn't find that myself, even when in the one way system around the late night areas, but maybe I was just lucky to not find myself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Edited by Pilton

As an old un of 61 I just want to say that I had a good time and had no problems with the younger element of the festival. In fact more of them spoke to me than other ages. So Grimmy please do not lump all of us oldies in together. In a crowd that size you are going to get tossers in all age groups. I would like to the arm chair brigade who plonk there chairs in the middle of the area and create a bottle neck, told to get up and take there chairs back to the tent. Thats only my opinion.

He has a point with point one. It's none of his business what motivates people to take drugs and I'll guarantee that he didnt actually ask many - if any - people to reach the assumption he has. And use of the word 'new lot' should rule him out of any reasonable discussion. It's f^ck all like being at Reading. Fires around campsites - if he's a Glasto veteran how on earth can he be surprised by that? The festival provide big piles of 'kin firewood!! Unless he tells me exactly how he was looked down on and by who, it is safe to assume that 5 never even happened - who notices people in jeans and a t shirt, let alone makes the effort to look down on them? It is easy to predict where and when there are going to be lots of people all converging at the same time. Dont put yourself there at the same time. And if you want to sell 10's of 1000's fewer tickets, which bits of the festival do you want to take away to counter the funding shortfall or how expensive do you want to make the tickets?

Edited by musky

Teenagers are dickheads wherever you are, that is their role in life. I should know, I used to be one. Not sure what you can do really - just try your best to pretend they are not there. Actually, quite a few adults are dickheads too...but lets keep focused on teenagers. You would think the high ticket prices would keep them out, maybe that's why they mostly seem to be posh teenager dickheads.

I blame the parents.

Personally I didn't have a problem with them, but then I was camped up in the family camping field where any teenagers were on best behaviour.

Maybe they should have camping areas just for dickhead teenagers, give them loads of plastic to burn etc and let them get on with it.

What a load of absolute tripe.

You can't generalise ALL of the teenagers at Glastonbury who weren't in family camping, based on what little you are seeing of it. And as for the posh part, who gives a f**k about their social class? Nobody cares at Glasto and the ones that do obviously don't see what it's really about.

I'm a middle class teenager (hardly going to pretend I'm not, I'll admit to reading The Guardian and drinking filtered coffee!), but neither I or my friends caused any trouble whatsoever and we hardly went around judging other people. Glasto is the one place where you could wear a plastic bag and nobody would care, it's the one bloody place where I DON'T feel judged.

Yes there were twats setting plastic chairs on fire and I'm sure SOME people were being idiots generally, but it wasn't just the teenagers who were doing it (I witnessed some middle aged yobs setting things on fire on the Sunday). I'm going to controversial here and say that I think the football and good weather had something to do with the slight anti-social behaviour, as in the previous years I've been going I didn't see anything like that happening before.

And actually, you'd be more likely to get teenagers at festivals like Glasto as we have a disposable income unlike most adults, so we can afford to spend it on things like festival tickets.

Jeez some on here need to broaden their minds.

The diversity of people at Glasto is surely one of the attractions?

Surely the more opinions and different political standpoints the better?

It's very easy to surround yourself with people who think/act the same way as you. It is harder, yet ultimately more beneficial, to surround yourselves with people who don't.

What a load of absolute tripe.

You can't generalise ALL of the teenagers at Glastonbury who weren't in family camping, based on what little you are seeing of it. And as for the posh part, who gives a f**k about their social class? Nobody cares at Glasto and the ones that do obviously don't see what it's really about.

I'm a middle class teenager (hardly going to pretend I'm not, I'll admit to reading The Guardian and drinking filtered coffee!), but neither I or my friends caused any trouble whatsoever and we hardly went around judging other people. Glasto is the one place where you could wear a plastic bag and nobody would care, it's the one bloody place where I DON'T feel judged.

Yes there were twats setting plastic chairs on fire and I'm sure SOME people were being idiots generally, but it wasn't just the teenagers who were doing it (I witnessed some middle aged yobs setting things on fire on the Sunday). I'm going to controversial here and say that I think the football and good weather had something to do with the slight anti-social behaviour, as in the previous years I've been going I didn't see anything like that happening before.

And actually, you'd be more likely to get teenagers at festivals like Glasto as we have a disposable income unlike most adults, so we can afford to spend it on things like festival tickets.

It occurs to me that the first 5 points could all be related to the people he had camping around him - points 1 and 4 certainly are. Sadly it's always been a lottery who you find camping around you, no matter where you camp, and if the OP was unlucky enough to find himself surrounded by twunts maybe he was just sensitised to the other twats that are always about at glasto.

never come back if thats the way you feel! 'terrible experience'...i dont consider much of that terrible....although i dont condone burning plastic, and that moving of the tent was pretty shitty of whoever did it...but liven up for goodness sake...

terrible would be breaking your leg and spending the weekend on a hospital bed...you clearly spend too much time looking down on people yourself...people who take drugs and 'posh/cool kids' for instance.. you clearly over analyse negative aspects of the festival and let it get you down.

i really dont think festies are made for you if those things ruined your weekend....much worse happened to people i know and all of them still had the best weekend of their lives....like me.

i feel sorry for you if this is the way you feel but you clearly need to change your attitude if you want to try and enjoy glasto again.

Although I did witness some obvious newbie behaviour on the wednesday

(one girl carrying 3 real pillows, and 18 pack of toilet rolls in tow)

Any immature behaviour didn't bother me. Besides I avoided the obvious haunts of the posh/cool kids mostly - no dance/other/JP stage this year. So plenty of room for everyone I think