Questions from a n00b

Guest Oddone

Went to Glasto this year. Twas my first ever fesitval. Since then I have caught the bug. I booked my Beautiful Days ticket as it has a few peeps I missed at Glasto and more.

But I have a quick few questions for you:

I read you can bring your own food n drink if you want. This correct?

Can you walk around drinking like Glasto?

Can you also have small camp fires like at Glasto?

What are the traders and prices like?

Are the police and security as relaxed and friendly?

Do you get the Guardian camping chair sods?

Annoying flags?

I won't be going this year, but have been to the past 5

I read you can bring your own food n drink if you want. This correct?

Yes, there is a nominal "arena area" but it is a bit like walking into the Park (at Glastonbury, in fact the arena area is about the same size)) through the arch, it is more there for safety (to stop people drunkenly going up a steep and often slippery hill from the main area to the camping). There have however been no checks of bags but I was once asked to show my wrist band there after there was a majore fence jumping issue one year. That was only once in 5 years.

There are a few places in the camping (usually little big top/dance tent, Bimble Inn and tiny tea tent and a small sance tent next to that). All shut around 2 in the morning.

So if you are in the main camping, but want an early night, don't pitch in sight of these and pack some ear plugs.

Can you walk around drinking like Glasto?

Yes, again considered rude to do so in a bar ;)

Can you also have small camp fires like at Glasto?

NO. There are some dedicated fire pits, but general camp fires are banned.

- This is an area of natural beauty and a park rather than a working farm so there is no oppotunity to plough over the feilds after the festival clean up.

- This might not seem improtant or relevent untill you realise that that fires on the ground sterilise the ground, they kill the bugs and the nutrients that the grass feeds on (so killing the grass, and so soil errosion can follow very quickly). In no time at all the field will be pockmarked with little pits. Glastonbury they will turn the ground over with a plough and spread fertilizer to over come this. Here it is not an option. So no camp fires. Controlled fires in 'off the ground' BBQs have been permitted in the past but there was some ambiguity last year. No wood on site so bring yoru own. You may want to consider a hibatchi or some other raised small BBQ on legs for night time fire and/or cooking

What are the traders and prices like?

Many of the better food traders that were at glastonbury are also here and so simmilar/same prices.

Joe Bananas is the only "camping" shop onsite, a lot of your usual "ethnic goods" traders are in force and not much in the way of vintage clothes shops.

Are the police and security as relaxed and friendly?

In the main yes. But the local traffic cops have a 'reputaion' so if you are driving, have a care <_<

Do you get the Guardian camping chair sods?

Annoying flags?

A few, nowhere near as much as other festivals.

Other "you should know" things...

I see it is not on this year but this is like the warm up gig in Exeter the night before teh festival opens

http://www.thenightbefore.org.uk/

Weather comming by car or public transport, it may be worth a visit. there is a backpacker hostels and many hotels in Exeter, as it is not far from the festival site you will be well placed for an early start. There is a special bus service from the Exeter St Davids rail station to the site.

Cash machine onsite

Also "Local shop" with papers, milk, ciggies and other sundries

Water taps are pelntiful.

The bars are mainly run by the local brewery (Otter), the beer is good, the Cider however is not so good (and some may say I am being charitable with that description).

Enjoy it, it is a good little festival.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are on a budget like me always, the Farm Shop sells really yummy Devon cider in plastic bottles for around £3-4 for 1.5 litres. This obviously works out cheaper than the £3+ a pint you would be paying at the Hope Tavern.

You can also buy really yummy bread and cheese and chutneys from there too and there is a cafe at the shop as well.

BD is really laid back.

Fingers crossed the same pasta stall will be back this year. They were selling the most incredible lasagne WITH garlic bread for only a fiver last year. Bargainous and very tasty too. Expect food prices to be roughly the same as other festies at the moment around £5-7 for a decent meal.

Who are you planning on camping with Mr Luke?

If you are on a budget like me always, the Farm Shop sells really yummy Devon cider in plastic bottles for around £3-4 for 1.5 litres. This obviously works out cheaper than the £3+ a pint you would be paying at the Hope Tavern.

You can also buy really yummy bread and cheese and chutneys from there too and there is a cafe at the shop as well.

BD is really laid back.

Fingers crossed the same pasta stall will be back this year. They were selling the most incredible lasagne WITH garlic bread for only a fiver last year. Bargainous and very tasty too. Expect food prices to be roughly the same as other festies at the moment around £5-7 for a decent meal.

Who are you planning on camping with Mr Luke?

I'm hoping there'll be an eFests camp, which you'll be more than welcome to camp at Luke. Lucy is normally able to grab a flag of some description to advertise the camp.

The Strudders camp was near the bottom of the camping field (just behind the tall trees on the left as you come into the camping field on the far side of the arena) last year. There was another Efests camp further up the hill near the Tea Tent and market stalls I think but where we were was very good for easy access to the main area, the dance tent and onto the Bimble Inn.

I wouldnt doubt that Chez Strudders will have the Merry Christmas and Free Range Humans flags just like last week at Guilfest.

Its not exactly a huge site but I wouldnt be surprised if the Efests camp is somewhere in the past the main area campsite, probably near the bottom because of access issues. All will be welcome wherever we are. :D