Regrets

Guest Richk109

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been feeling pangs of regret and slight disbelief, almost as if it never really happened, ever since I got back. So reading this thread has made me feel a lot better.

Every year I vow to do things better next time, and I wouldn't exactly call it regret this year, just a wish that I could have taken more in.

The heat certainly played a big part. It was very difficult to drink as much as we'd normally do, so things were slightly less crazed in our group, and the heat certainly made everyone tire earlier in the evenings than normal.

We made the effort to get to Shangri La and the other late night areas more, and the extra space certainly seemed to help with the previous over-crowding, although like most years, it again felt like a place we went to look admiringly at the sideshow, take some pictures and wander on by, without really interacting with much of it. To be fair it seems that way to most people.

We found the rabbit hole and sat in the front area. Weren't really sure what's through the little trapdoor bit at the back and were too sun-beaten and tired at the time to queue up to have a look.

Wish I'd seen Thom Yorke.

Wish we hadn't broken off from all the fun things we were doing on Sunday night to go on a wild goose chase to a very quiet and Chemical brothers-less tent in the Park.

Wish I'd made more effort to meet up with old friends.

Wish they hadn't opened up new parking the other side of the A361 - insanely long walk with all our stuff.

Overall, just wish it hadn't flown by so quickly though. It all already feels like a hazy, distant dream. Sigh.

I regret watching the footie instead of the temper trap and slash but then hindsight is great isn't it?!

I also regret not staying out much beyond 4am which was only in the rabbit hole and Silent disco but then the heat takes it out of you and good as shangri la is, I'd still rather miss that than the bands. After all you'll struggle to have a lie-in much past 10 in a 90 degree F tent which ours was even with foil space blankets.

But then having seen Thom and Jonny I could have left happy on Friday night! :lol:

Edited by Craigston

I regret wearing shorts on Wednesday....burnt :(

I regret getting v v drunk on Thursday (to numb the sunburn pain - this understandably became a pattern)

I regret not going to the stone circle on Friday night.

I regret nothing at all about Saturday (well maybe taking the suntan lotion out of my bag to make room for one more tin of cider, not worth it (cheers jen!) )

I regret leaving the stone circle on Sunday afternoon and letting the fear come.....should have fought the fear!!

All in fantastic festival, best yet, found the rabbit hole, found strummerville, went to see the dragon, fell in love with arcadia and loved everyone i met :)

Happiness :D

Regret not taking a larger water bottle, and drinking more before bed (not before 5.30am Sat-Mon). Waking up dehydrated in an oven at midday delayed my beer drinking by a couple of hours.

Regret not properly seeing a Friday headliner. Transglobal underground in Avalon finished 10.30. We walked past Flaming Lips to get to The Orb, decided they could be better, strolled to Gorillaz, and quickly concluded it had no atmosphere, and headed back the way we'd come to go to Shangri-La. About an hours round trip. Beat the queue mind.

Otherwise no regrets, what a vintage Glastonbury.

disappointed in my decisions to going "out dancing" way to early to way out west (good but similar to all the other times), hybrid (shite) and quivver (no one there) missing Snoop, Vampire and Dizee.

after staying up all night then crashing out about 8pm missing nick warren and jamie t.

not hotfooting it over to keane when the footie was dead and buried and not seeing mgmt even though they were a bit crap apparently.

not going up to stone circle for sunrise when still up

best decisions - seeing fat boy (wasnt fussed about him before), kissysellout at arcardia (amazing and I thought he'd be shit), bothering to stay after the Wurzels to see Avett Brothers (even though I hadnt been to sleep for 29 hours). going up to Shangri La's shananagins on monday morning

Edited by rgalbraith

I wish I'd stayed out on Thursday and Saturday night, on Thurs my mates headed off for stone circle action after I'd left them, then on Saturday I followed some other friends back to the tent instead of hanging around Shangri La and surrounding areas and finding out what was really going on. I wish I could have slept in past 8am so I wasn't worn out by midnight, but with the heat it was impossible. I tried having a nap in the afternoon to stave off the tiredness but it didn't work.

I wish I'd seen Flaming Lips

I wish I'd explored the Rabbit Hole a bit more, but I wasn't sure what I was looking for, didn't find the trapdoor

Totally missed any stone circle action due to my desperate need for shade during the day, and tiredness at night

I didn't have another fortnight to get myself around the festival and see everything!

My only regret was a bad shroom trip on the Friday night just after the fire show in Arcadia, partly my own fault as I was operating a "high risk" strategy:

Wednesday 3 hours sleep

Thursday 2 hours sleep

Friday I was shattered and I was considering a little day time nap up at flagtopia, stummerville, the acoustic tent or dance lounge, but instead I kept myself "in the game" with some pepsi all day, so although I felt fine it was to much. After dropping the shrooms at The Orb I not so much came up, but I was dragged up. At about 01.00am I needed to be out of Arcadia too many people, I was confused and paranoid, everybody was looking at me so I thought, although to be fair I was wearing glow necklaces on my head as well as round my neck and wearing flashing glasses. In any case my mate choose to let me go back to the tent by myself, great friend eh, by 02.30 I was fine and considered coming back out , but I thought it best to get some sleep.

I missed quite a bit that had planned to do as was just plain knackered- did too much walking on the Friday so took it bit easier on the Saturday and Sunday

Think was combination of the heat, 6am start for litter picking and the inability to have a kip in the afternoon due to oven like tent

Regret not going to see Craig Charles and the Fantasy Funk Band on Saturday night, but I was shattered, had only managed one hour's kip in the shade during the day, after being out all Friday night at Shangri La.

I regret not finding Strummerville, but that can wait until next year.

I regret not arriving earlier on the Wednesday, or taking a short cut to Glastonbury town via Wells, instead consigning myself to the 6 hour traffic jam, meaning I couldn't camp at the Triangle.

I regret spraining my ankle slipping on the dewy grass in the park around 2am Sunday morning looking for the rabbit hole (probably in totally the wrong place). I'm still limping now. And it got infected, my whole leg swelled up and I needed a course of anti-bionics to shift that.

Also, being too old to stay up past 3, missing the sunrise, and not being lively enough to really get into bands.

Slash was great though, even though I was hobbling in pain and couldn't jump up and down.

Other than that, my first Glasto was a blast. I've dreamt about it every night since!

My big regret from this year is the opposite to the most common regret above. I wish I hadn't gone to "see" Thom Yorke playing very stripped down versions of his solo album followed by a couple of Radiohead songs. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Radiohead and enjoyed The Eraser for a few months a couple of years ago. HOWEVER...

I missed Hot Chip, apart from one song, which was EXCELLENT. My plan was always to go and see Hot Chip, but memories of missing the 'head back in 1997 made me buckle and go up to The Park when I should have been somewhere else. My other regret is not splitting from my dawdling mates and meeting up with them later. At least I would have caught most of the set rather than just one song.

Is there a lesson here? I'm not sure but it seems to be if you're faced with watching a band you've been into for ages vs a band you're into NOW, go and see the NOW band. Expect to hear from me in 3 years time when I go and see some new band I'm into instead of Paul Simon and it's the biggest regret of my life.

In hindsight scrambling to the top of the hill in front of radio 1's look out post to watch Stevie with a large reefer and not taking into account the descent on wet grass wasn't a great idea blink:

Besides this no regrets whatsoever, as a recovering alcoholic it was great to get through the festival 'dry' but Red Bull has a lot to answer for!