you CAN break The Chain

Guest eFestivals

Anyone catch Florence & The Machine covering Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain"?

I had to stick my fingers in my ears, I don't think I've ever heard such awful out-of-tune squawking. It was dreadful.

I had to laugh later tho, when I over-heard someone going on about "the great new track that Florence played, called 'The Chain' or something".... closely followed by her friend who said "no, that was the Grand Prix theme. I wonder why she was playing that?".

The empress really does have no clothes. You might not agree now, but just give it a few years.

Edited by eFestivals

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to stick my fingers in my ears, I don't think I've ever heard such awful out-of-tune squawking. It was dreadful.

I had to laugh later tho, when I over-heard someone going on about "the great new track that Florence played, called 'The Chain' or something".... closely followed by her friend who said "no, that was the Grand Prix theme. I wonder why she was playing that?".

The empress really does have no clothes. You might not agree now, but just give it a few years.

I'm going to be controversial and say I loved it...I love Florence and really enjoyed that cover...was worried she was going to do a U2 cover at first but was so pleased it wasn't! (Not much else productive to say, just felt this thread needed someone who DID enjoy it!)

Florence seems to be a bit of a marmite artist, at least she certainly was in my group of friends!

Seemed to be the year of the Fleetwood...caught My Luminaries doing 'Go Your Own Way' on Thursday too, great big sing-along.

Saw it on TV, I'll be honest I was interested to hear it but wasn't thrilled with it - her voice is a pretty aquired taste I think.

On the flip side, I went up to the Park to watch Candi Staton, the comments after she did You Got the Love were a joy! Lots of "TAKE THAT Florence" and "now that's how to sing it Florence" and not one "I can't believe that old woman is singing Florence" comments. Brilliant

Having watched a bit of the BBC coverage of Florence I was wondering about the mixing of sound that was delivered to us

From where we were stood - far far right of the crowd she didn't sound that bad, got to say. Definitely better than she sounded on the BBC. Now maybe my ears were just chock full of dust by then :blink: but I wondered if we got more backing singers in the mix than the BBC did???? Or am I just a bit sun addled?

The crowd at the show enjoyed themselves immensely, which was the main thing. I had a great time jumping up and down at florence and the crowd around us were great, having fun and loving the experience. Whatever people may think of the music I always judge a gig by the crowd (compare that to gorrillaz ;))

She is absolutely f**king awfull and I would rather be forced to recreate one of those disgusting internet videos then be subjected to even 5 minutes of her "singing". Her singing is about as bad as it get's and she really is the worst of the worst. Truly truly awfull music designed especially for f**kwits who think that they are "Weird" or "Kooky" listening to Florence and the mashit.

And she looks like a tranny.

There's no doubt that Florence is being hyped to the heavens atm but personally I think she is a great performer and I love her voice. And I completely disagree that she is better on record - tbh I don't much bother listening to her albums but I think she's great live.

I've seen her at Union Chapel, Brixton and Hammersmith this year and although Brixton was a bit timid, the Hammersmith performance was one of the best I've ever seen in terms of energy, vocal power and personality. At Glasto I was Dance Village side of the stage, halfway back to the sound desk and thought her voice sounded as good as ever - in fact I'd go as far as to say it was my Glasto moment! Even more so than The National or Faithless' sets. I was then amazed to hear on the BBC recording of Drumming Song that she sounded pretty awful. Difficult to blame it on the mixing as her voice didn't even sound in tune.

I guess maybe she's just such and engrossing performer (for those of us who like her) that you tend to skate over any vocal inadequacies.

Edited by Mackem

She is absolutely f**king awfull and I would rather be forced to recreate one of those disgusting internet videos then be subjected to even 5 minutes of her "singing". Her singing is about as bad as it get's and she really is the worst of the worst. Truly truly awfull music designed especially for f**kwits who think that they are "Weird" or "Kooky" listening to Florence and the mashit.

And she looks like a tranny.

There were a lot of people watching Florence, surly you can't possibly be right?

numbers don't really prove a thing. For example, Westlife are very popular. ;)

It's certainly the case that Florence is one of the biggest acts around at the moment, but having subjected myself to her twice, I can't for the life of me understand why .... outside of the Westlife thing.

numbers don't really prove a thing. For example, Westlife are very popular. ;)

It's certainly the case that Florence is one of the biggest acts around at the moment, but having subjected myself to her twice, I can't for the life of me understand why .... outside of the Westlife thing.

A good point well made, "Other" seemed rammed for Kate Nash when I was passing through. I heard her do some rant about a lack of female composers/artists then launch into some hideous screeching "song". Horses for courses and all that, but at the moment it seems that to be a successful female artist you need to be a bit more quirky than talented. Which is a shame really as I actually think Flo is OK, but the likes of Radio 1 etc just seem to focus on here being kooky (whatever that means) and talk about here look/clothes etc.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime