Guy in ticket queue in front of me, ejected

Guest brandycoke

So you've worked in this role before, but never once thought of informing that super-girls analysis of life working as an oxfam steward was incorrect?

However, given the image painted by her to, what it seems, point score; do you think union representation wouldn't be needed in a role where you are threatened with loosing £185 for such a minor mistake, with no warning system? Do you see how the image she presented to me may have made me feel that she would need protection against what she painted as an unfair employer?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She wasn't lying, as that could happen if somebody was ignoring repeating warnings to do their job properly. It just wouldn't happen immediately unless they committed a serious misconduct (e.g. deliberately helping someone to sneak in, or being drunk on shift).

Edited by -pogo-

Relax, Pogo, our working rights are fine. To be honest, I think you've interpreted rather more than she actually said. I don't think she ever stated there was no warning system for stewards who aren't doing their job properly.

I'm sure there's other, more oppressed populations than Oxfam stewards for whom your revolutionary zeal might be better placed. Maybe there's a panda somewhere you can shout for the rights of?

I'm really pleased to know that the stewards take their job seriously! I'd be relieved if I got a phonecall asking me to come and collect our nearly 15 year old as it would mean he was there without us bloody well knowing!!

Seriously, we have one of THE most sensible kids ever - but he doesn't have a hope in hell's chance of going to Glastonbury without us! Its not him I don't trust - its other people and I know of very few 14/15 year olds who would be able to cope if something catastrophic happened. Next year him and his 2 mates are coming with us (if ticket sales go our way) and i'm fine with them going off alone and even camping seperately from us but there is no chance of them being on site alone!

God this is an utter argument about nothing, at the end of the day the stewards have to do the job they are given regardless of what anyone thinks is the moral thing to do. They do a bang up job and I certainty wouldn't want to be working 24 hours of my festival in the boiling heat having it in ear from people who can't accept some times rules are in a place for a reason, whether we agree with them or not!

Relax, Pogo, our working rights are fine. To be honest, I think you've interpreted rather more than she actually said. I don't think she ever stated there was no warning system for stewards who aren't doing their job properly.

I'm sure there's other, more oppressed populations than Oxfam stewards for whom your revolutionary zeal might be better placed. Maybe there's a panda somewhere you can shout for the rights of?

My job (one I'm actualy being made redundant from) is the type of nature that you can't realy get into confrontation with customers. I'm sure you are talking about areas outside of the workplace though and getting confused.

No, I'm talking about in the workplace, with customers. Part of my job is to check fishing tickets on a lake. If you let someone fish without a ticket, they come back again and again, with their mates, who also have no tickets. It can get proper heated, but by avoiding the confronation you are giving in and opening up to have the piss taken out of you. Same with Glasto tickets, in a way, if you let some 15yr old in as you want to avoid spoiling their fun/arguing with them/looking like a jobsworth then they go and get themselves into bother at Glasto, then it kind of falls back on you (although I have read about the unlikelyhood of the legal burden of it resting on the shoulders of the individual steward).

my 2p anyway.

:)

Well then, if they've paid £200 then they've bought a legitimate ticket, and they'll have no problem.

Unless of course, they paid that money to an eBay tout, and these rules are in place precisely to stop these kinds of touts as they shaft festival-goers by pushing festival prices through the roof - just see how much a Reading Festival ticket will cost you on eBay. It's a damn sight more than £200.

Chill RWG Neil has to tow the company line so he has a forum n shit

I'm not following any company line. :rolleyes:

I'm following the only line which ensures there's a Glastonbury Festival for us all to enjoy next year and in years after that.

If the line which RWG is suggesting was followed there'd be no more festivals.

Yes, it really is that simple. If you don't get it, then you're more simple than that.