Guy in ticket queue in front of me, ejected

Guest brandycoke

It was fairly tongue in cheek.

HOWEVER, no matter who your employer is, I couldn't care less if it is a charity, it cannot give its workers what appears to be a very unfair road to dismisal. There should be warnings and procedures (I imagine that there are though) before dismisal.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all my life i have never heard so many narrow minded people. :rolleyes: I mean come on. Who made all of you god! :rolleyes:

Jesus christ you're saying things like "if i let a 15 y/o in and he did drugs and died then it's my fault" WRONG. Its the fault of the person who takes the drug. You as a steward at the gate are not GOD... :rolleyes:

I have never said I am god... but if no one takes responsibility then what happens to glastonbury, if no one followed the rules then glastonbury would lose it's license. I think you need to read before launching into an argument when I have said nothing of the sort. If someone stole your ticket and got let in would you be so happy? But you know, we have to have empathy with them, maybe they just really wanted to go but couldn't get a ticket via the legal routes, that's what you want right?

We live in a society that loves a bit of no win no fee court, you really think if a 15 year old got into glastonbury on their own, took drugs/drink ended up in a coma or worse that their parents wouldn't try and seek some kind of compensation from glastonbury? It's a breach of license for them to be there unsupervised, it doesn't fall to the kid, it falls to the festival.

I have never said I am god... but if no one takes responsibility then what happens to glastonbury, if no one followed the rules then glastonbury would lose it's license. I think you need to read before launching into an argument when I have said nothing of the sort. If someone stole your ticket and got let in would you be so happy? But you know, we have to have empathy with them, maybe they just really wanted to go but couldn't get a ticket via the legal routes, that's what you want right?

We live in a society that loves a bit of no win no fee court, you really think if a 15 year old got into glastonbury on their own, took drugs/drink ended up in a coma or worse that their parents wouldn't try and seek some kind of compensation from glastonbury? It's a breach of license for them to be there unsupervised, it doesn't fall to the kid, it falls to the festival.

Edited by redwinegirl

In all my life i have never heard so many narrow minded people. :rolleyes: I mean come on. Who made all of you god! :rolleyes:

Jesus christ you're saying things like "if i let a 15 y/o in and he did drugs and died then it's my fault" WRONG. Its the fault of the person who takes the drug. You as a steward at the gate are not GOD... :rolleyes:

What i highlighted ^^^ proves what i was saying! You're employed to do a job, yet you're taking it so personal. Do you not see the irony?

Believe it or not, my post ^^^ really wasn't a dig at you, i was trying to give an example. BUT, I'm not going to apologise for it as i truly believe you're taking far far too much responsibility on your shoulders. For instance... some people are parents (and bloody good ones too) at 15, would you stop/check a 15 y/o girl who walked through your gates with a young baby and tell her she could not come in as she wasn't an adult (but she is a mother whom is responible for another persons life)? Do you see that life throws up shit, and we all deal with it, but what we can't do is label...

If i get banned for this post then i have to say it was totally worth it. :rolleyes:

Seriously, am i the only person who has read this thread and thought :lol: . OMG how many horrible people go to glasto these days? Do none of you have any empathy? *shakes head* I have laughed so many times though this thread, sometimes people need to chill a wee bit, so much anger! :rolleyes:

Does it really make you angry to see one person bunk in? If so then i suggest you need some help. :rolleyes:

I cannot believe how many people lick NEILS arse when he is so rude and ROLLS his eyes incessantly if he doesn't agree with what you say.

Can i just do this :rolleyes:

If i get banned for this post then i have to say it was totally worth it. :rolleyes:

Seriously, am i the only person who has read this thread and thought :lol: . OMG how many horrible people go to glasto these days? Do none of you have any empathy? *shakes head* I have laughed so many times though this thread, sometimes people need to chill a wee bit, so much anger! :rolleyes:

Does it really make you angry to see one person bunk in? If so then i suggest you need some help. :rolleyes:

I cannot believe how many people lick NEILS arse when he is so rude and ROLLS his eyes incessantly if he doesn't agree with what you say.

Can i just do this :rolleyes:

For instance... some people are parents (and bloody good ones too) at 15, would you stop/check a 15 y/o girl who walked through your gates with a young baby and tell her she could not come in as she wasn't an adult (but she is a mother whom is responible for another persons life)? Do you see that life throws up shit, and we all deal with it, but what we can't do is label...

You have not responded to my post and are blowing this way out of proportion for what it is..... If a steward has to make a decision they are not happy with there are supervisors to do it for them...

And as highlighted in your post, she may be responsible for another life and there is nothing wrong with that (well there's another debate) but she is still a minor in the eyes of the law and will be until she turns 16. The festival has a duty of care. Full Stop and the first line of that is with the steward who makes the call the next is with the supervisor.

Please dont apologies for your post, but please put it into context with the real world.

Just to emphasis and agree with what other people have said here, refusing entry to Glasto because they're an unaccompanied minor is NOT being a jobsworth. It's simply complying with the licence for the festival. As FestivalDan says, GFL have to justify themselves to Mendip Council and show they're complying with the licence, and believe me the council ARE checking on them to make sure they do, to the extent of sending plain-clothes spotters and mystery shoppers through the gates to monitor that the stewards are checking the tickets correctly.

What I'm saying is, if you think under-18s should be allowed to come to Glasto unaccompanied, go and take it up with Mendip Council, don't call the stewards jobsworths.

Regarding the point about whether Oxfam stewards should get union membership, I think that debate might have spun a little bit out of hand. I've stewarded for Oxfam for the past five years at Glasto, Reading and Bestival - including two stints as a steward supervisor - and always found them to be run by very nice, reasonable people. An Oxfam steward wouldn't get kicked off for failing to check something on a ticket, though they may well get a supervisor come over and show them what they should be doing. Oxfam stewards only get kicked out and their deposit forfeit if they turn up on shift drunk, or repeatedly fail to do their job despite several warnings, or something like that. The Oxfam stewards aren't managed by Stalins, but they are expected to do a professional job.

Just to give a real-life example. At Glasto a steward didn't check the hologram on a ticket, and the ticketholder suddenly said to her, "You know what, I've often wondered what the hologram looks like on these tickets. Can you have a peek at it in the UV box and let me know please?" Well, either this guy had a weird, anally-retentive interest in holograms, or he was a mystery shopper who was dropping a hint to her.

I was supervising at the time. I certainly didn't radio in for her to be ejected, and wouldn't have been expected to. I simply walked over, explained the need to check the holograms and showed her how to use the lightbox. That was the only consequence, nothing more.

Well if I'm back in the UK next year there's a very good chance I'll be stewarding so which union do you recommend I join to protect my interests for these few days of volunteering. If I apply to work at other festivals over the summer will I be able to suspend my membership between them or would I have to join all over again?