Guy in ticket queue in front of me, ejected

Guest brandycoke

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are on a child ticket, its not being a jobsworth, it clearly says that they have to have an adult with them. If they were on an adult ticket and they didn't look like their picture I would ask to see ID, if this ID (as I was given) was clearly an under-16 bus pass, then I would raise it. Not to be a jobsworth but my £185 I had to give to Oxfam so that I could work at Glastonbury would be at stake. To me that means more than some kid who couldn't wait two years.

It's this attitude that really surprised me about glastonbury, I was verbally abused pretty much non-stop when I asked to see ID (and yeah kicking off and making a fuss just points out its almost certainly not you on the ticket). When you have a hat and sunglasses on you can see someone's mouth thats about it, so yes I asked for them to be taken off and yes I got abuse for that too.

And we do all this not only because it serves the purpose of stopping touts it also helps reunited people with their tickets that had been stolen (yes I had a few of these).

So no I not a prick, I am literally doing my job, hoping to enjoy the festival when I am not on shift and hoping to get my £185 back when I am finished. If I don't follow the rules I risk being ejected there and then.

So where exactly were all these alleged jobsworths manning the gates ? I never saw one this year or indeed on any previous year either ! All I ever see is lots of happy smiley chatty peeps checking tix and putting on wristbands etc. OK, this year some were looking distinctly hot 'n' sweaty and perhaps not quite so happy as usual but how unsurprising is that cos I was practically melting as well :lol: Ditto with the Security guys as well I would suggest - never yet seen anything other than a bunch of decent looking and friendly peeps doing exactly what they're there for and all that. Big yaaaaay to all the Stewards and Security guys from me as per usual B) It's almost always well stressful getting to the fest but always so refreshing to get a good reception when you finally get there and are able to dump all that accumulated stress outside the gates as you wander straight through :)

As for bringing in dodgy stuff or trying your luck with dodgy tix or coming in unaccompanied etc ... don't bash those on the gates when you *KNOW* the risks and *KNOW* exactly what the end result could potentially be. I for one don't want peeps various risking the future of 'my' good time so if you try anything on AND get caught out then you really only have yourself to blame I'm afraid. Either you didn't put in sufficient effort or you were seriously taking the P!$$ I would suggest ;) I think it's pretty sad if Stewards were on the receiving end of any abuse :(

Edited by mikeb

Maybe because I was managing the stewards on Ped Gate C this year :P

I usually work vehicle gates but got assigned PGC this year. Part of the brief was that Mendip Council were conducting "mystery shopper" checks with tickets that didn't match the holder and also with loose wristbands. We had to be strict because anyone could be a mystery shopper.

I get the impression Mendip Council would be delighted to build a case against the festival for the next license application. Hopefully we've gone some way to enable the next application to be successful. I was quizzed by a very nice lady from the council asking about entry requirements and crowd plans. She took copious notes!

It seems unfair to people who have bought someone elses ticket but the terms and conditions state that the ticket is non-transferable. As I understand it this is somehow linked to the licence. If we can't keep to the terms of the licence there won't be a festival. Harsh, but it really is that stark.

To the people that were stopped at PGC that I had the unenjoyable task of referring to the offsite enquiry cabin, I'm sorry, but turning a blind eye does put the festival at risk.

Danny

Erm, no, YOU'RE wrong.

People who live in Pilton get Villager tickets, with a big letter V on them. They're also the only tickets which are transferable to another person.

Easy pass out is a single white wristband for people who need to get in and out of the gates without having to go through a complicated rigmarole of showing tickets and passouts - it goes to security, Oxfam stewards, Festival Medical Services and so on - those people also have their campsite just outside Pedestrian Gate B, which is probably why you've seen a lot of people using them at that gate. But they are valid at all gates.

These were the ones that were forged, as the forgers reckoned it would be the most straightforward way for gatecrashers to sneak in. However, the forgeries weren't very good, and as soon as they were noticed a description of how to spot the forgeries was circulated to the security and the Oxfam stewards, and very quickly we were catching lots of them.

Oxfam should have been given fabric wristbands like the other workers, I think they were to be black or purple but they were "misplaced" and Oxfam believed they'd been stolen. Thats why they ended up with the easy pass out ones instead of a nice one. The box of fabrics was found but by then it was a bit pointless to hand them out. Source; an Oxfam supervising steward.

And to Super Girl - I don't think you deserve any of the shit you've been given at the festival or on here. You're very right not to allow entry to someone under age without an adult for the point you made that if they ended up dead, high, drunk and found the festival and Oxfam would be in big trouble. Anyone who turns up without a legitimate ticket knows the score, so they can hardly complain :ph34r:

I was working for a charity, to raise them money, the £185 is to make sure I turn up, do my work and don't break the rules. It's a pretty fair trade off considering its not hard to check someone looks like their photo, and if they don't look like their photo there are many other checks that go on in the background to prove the ticket is legitimate and you are the person on the ticket. If it really is you then you are getting in. But if it isn't the ticket gets checked again when you get a wristband and when collecting pass outs to leave and it can all come back to the first steward who let you in.

And yes if I thought a kid was under age I would question it, I would 'ruin' their weekend because yes they know the risk that they may well be turned away. It only takes one 15 year old on an adult ticket to go into the festival, get their hands on some drugs and end up dead for the festival to be at risk. I expect their public liability insurance demands they have adult supervision because the blame if anything happens lies with them not the festival.

I didn't deserve the abuse I got and I don't agree with this idea that it's ok to go off on one at a steward just because YOU are breaking the rules of entry. At the end of the day its like going to buy a drink when you are 17, there's not a lot of difference between a 17 year old and an 18 year old but the law says you can't buy a drink when you are 17. I didn't make the rule but just like everyone who buys a ticket I have to follow it, not because I have some weird power trip, I did it because I wanted to go to glastonbury but couldn't afford it and I wasn't going to risk getting ejected from site or loosing my deposit for some loud mouth 15 year old who thinks that screaming and shouting about how unfair it is that I wanted to see some ID is going to make me turn a blind eye.

I was working for a charity, to raise them money, the £185 is to make sure I turn up, do my work and don't break the rules. It's a pretty fair trade off considering its not hard to check someone looks like their photo, and if they don't look like their photo there are many other checks that go on in the background to prove the ticket is legitimate and you are the person on the ticket. If it really is you then you are getting in. But if it isn't the ticket gets checked again when you get a wristband and when collecting pass outs to leave and it can all come back to the first steward who let you in.

And yes if I thought a kid was under age I would question it, I would 'ruin' their weekend because yes they know the risk that they may well be turned away. It only takes one 15 year old on an adult ticket to go into the festival, get their hands on some drugs and end up dead for the festival to be at risk. I expect their public liability insurance demands they have adult supervision because the blame if anything happens lies with them not the festival.

I didn't deserve the abuse I got and I don't agree with this idea that it's ok to go off on one at a steward just because YOU are breaking the rules of entry. At the end of the day its like going to buy a drink when you are 17, there's not a lot of difference between a 17 year old and an 18 year old but the law says you can't buy a drink when you are 17. I didn't make the rule but just like everyone who buys a ticket I have to follow it, not because I have some weird power trip, I did it because I wanted to go to glastonbury but couldn't afford it and I wasn't going to risk getting ejected from site or loosing my deposit for some loud mouth 15 year old who thinks that screaming and shouting about how unfair it is that I wanted to see some ID is going to make me turn a blind eye.

To the gate stewards who have posted: Good job folks. I was really impressed with you all slaving away in the heat and particularly the girl who made me feel 10 years younger checking my ticket and giving me a big happy smile, she was very diligent in checking my daughter's ticket ahead of me and was clearly happy in her work.

I agree that EVERY ebay ticket came with statements like "just wear sunnies and a hat, they never check" and that was just begging to be proven wrong.

I'd also like to say, as someone who earns next to jack sh1t, I wholly approve of the ticketing system, it means that people aren't just booking 20 tickets on their creditcard and then touting them all so that people like me can't afford to come (which was the case for many years).

Keep doing the job well folks, don't listen to critics and remember that you doing what you are doing is appreciated by the VAST majority of us punters, and as I say, by me in particular as glastonbury was put beyond me for years by people who considered that making money for themselves was the right thing to do.

I feel it's all getting a bit heated and I don't mean for it to be, so sorry if it comes accross that way.

You cut the bit out where I stated you didn't deserve the abuse. I've already agreed with that, so I don't know why you've posted it again telling me you don't. What I post here however when I say things like "jobsworth" is to a made up situation, something which hasn't happened, and I have never singled one person out with name calling, my words have been in general, it's not abuse to any individual. If you feel I have been trying to name call or make abusive comments to you (I don't know if you do, I just got a hint from your post), then I'm sorry if it seemed that way, but I didn't mean for it.

However, I feel your post stereotypes people of certain ages. Quite frankly, all of the circumstances you mentioned could happen to anyone at any age, whether they enetered the gate legaly or ilegaly. You see what I'm getting at?

Did you drink when you were 17? Did any crazy bad things happen?

Anyway, I already told the guy to get someone else to pretend their the guardian, the same way I used to get folk to buy my parental advisery CD's when I was 14.

It's just best that everyone gets a good festival and it would be more of a shame for a 15 year old to have to travel back home (if hes from Glasgow or Aberdeen or somewhere that's a fair bit) than be in a decent festival for such a minor bit of detail.

Given that parents have been prosecuted and/or had their children taken into local authority care for leaving kids aged 14/15 home alone for extended periods, I dread to think how the police and social services would react to parents who allowed similar aged children (and they are just that - children) attend a festival alone.

Where do you draw the line?

Do you decide by some sort of coolness test?

How old a minor looks?

What street knowledge they have?

There is always debate regarding the fine line between minor and adult... But these rules are in place for the protection of the minority.

There has to be a line drawn in the sand and as the law states under 16 is a minor then that is the line the festival and the staff have to use.

It would be unjust to expect staff to vet 14 and 15 year old based on anything other than age.

Soi if that means pissing off a teen at the gate and sending them home then that's what they will have to do. They get in (as I did) all the time but if found out then there is a duty of care by the festival not to allow them access for the very reasons you stated about the cider bus meet.

Whilst I let my 14 year old daughter bimble on her own and my 15 year old son I would not allow them to go to the festival without me. Not because I did not trust them... But I care about the festival to much to break one of the most important rules they have which is duty of care to minors.

I doubt there'd be much incidents realy though, I think most underagers would be smart enough to get someone to be their "adult" before getting to the gates. There's a difference between 12 and 15 too. I was 16 at my first festival, I remember proper shiting myself when I walked past the police with a can of strongbow, thinking in my head it would be like if I was down the park rather than at a festival. Those officers must have known I was underage. Do you think they'd realy care? Well they must not have.

If i get banned for this post then i have to say it was totally worth it. :rolleyes:

In all my life i have never heard so many narrow minded people. :rolleyes: I mean come on. Who made all of you god! :rolleyes:

Jesus christ you're saying things like "if i let a 15 y/o in and he did drugs and died then it's my fault" WRONG. Its the fault of the person who takes the drug. You as a steward at the gate are not GOD... :rolleyes:

Seriously, am i the only person who has read this thread and thought :lol: . OMG how many horrible people go to glasto these days? Do none of you have any empathy? *shakes head* I have laughed so many times though this thread, sometimes people need to chill a wee bit, so much anger! :rolleyes:

Does it really make you angry to see one person bunk in? If so then i suggest you need some help. :rolleyes:

I cannot believe how many people lick NEILS arse when he is so rude and ROLLS his eyes incessantly if he doesn't agree with what you say.

Can i just do this :rolleyes:

If i get banned for this post then i have to say it was totally worth it. :rolleyes:

In all my life i have never heard so many narrow minded people. :rolleyes: I mean come on. Who made all of you god! :rolleyes:

Jesus christ you're saying things like "if i let a 15 y/o in and he did drugs and died then it's my fault" WRONG. Its the fault of the person who takes the drug. You as a steward at the gate are not GOD... :rolleyes:

Seriously, am i the only person who has read this thread and thought :lol: . OMG how many horrible people go to glasto these days? Do none of you have any empathy? *shakes head* I have laughed so many times though this thread, sometimes people need to chill a wee bit, so much anger! :rolleyes:

Does it really make you angry to see one person bunk in? If so then i suggest you need some help. :rolleyes:

I cannot believe how many people lick NEILS arse when he is so rude and ROLLS his eyes incessantly if he doesn't agree with what you say.