2nd Glastonbury World Cup

Guest hogga

For tops I was thinking England shirts and ROW picking a team top to wear. That way passers by can pick a team and get involved in the banter easier. I don't think many people knew it was an England v ROW game.

Thanks for putting the pictures on people :D

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remembered a small world coincidence thing. I came with my mate Cath who isn't an e fester. Apart from me and the other bloke who came with us, she only knew one other person who was going. Being a Glasto virgin she hadn't been able to arrange to meet him anywhere. Comes up to watch me playing football and turns out the one other person she knows at glastonbury is playing number 3 for RoW - disaster i think it was. Small world

Thanks for that report mate, excellent :D

I'm still not sure what will happen next year mate. We'll probably discuss it the next time me and Chaz meet up. I know we both have a few reservations about doing it again because of the effect it had on our festival as a whole.

A lot of the drain on our time (before and at the festival) was due to the fact we were trying to raise a greater amount for WaterAid than last year and to smash Michael Eavis's target. If it did go ahead again I would have serious doubts about the fundraising part being a major part of it again.

I think if it was a smaller local charity whereby the players chipped in a tenner each this would be appreciated more than the amount people on this forum raised for WaterAid. Also Michael didn't turn up after we beat his target so why stress over trying again.

I think the only way to do it where it doesn't take up too much time but is still a good laugh is to take it back to basics. We get two teams organised, meet up, Hobo Jones play then have a quick 30mins each way game of football. Then go for a few drinks at the cider bus afterwards like last year.

You really don't get *unexpected* royal visits. It doesn't work like that

I got to be honest, a low key, relaxed kickabout would be far more preferable for me. It seemed to get a bit big and serious and that this year, frightened me off somewhat.

Thanks for that report mate, excellent :D

I'm still not sure what will happen next year mate. We'll probably discuss it the next time me and Chaz meet up. I know we both have a few reservations about doing it again because of the effect it had on our festival as a whole.

A lot of the drain on our time (before and at the festival) was due to the fact we were trying to raise a greater amount for WaterAid than last year and to smash Michael Eavis's target. If it did go ahead again I would have serious doubts about the fundraising part being a major part of it again.

I think if it was a smaller local charity whereby the players chipped in a tenner each this would be appreciated more than the amount people on this forum raised for WaterAid. Also Michael didn't turn up after we beat his target so why stress over trying again.

I think the only way to do it where it doesn't take up too much time but is still a good laugh is to take it back to basics. We get two teams organised, meet up, Hobo Jones play then have a quick 30mins each way game of football. Then go for a few drinks at the cider bus afterwards like last year.

I was under the impression he didn't appear because Prince Charles had made the unexpected visit at around the same time so was showing him around etc? Have you got any response from him since making the target?

I appreciate that mate but my disappointment was for all the people (many of which had donated online or on the day to break Michaels target) who stopped back waiting to see Michael and the trophy presentation. To not have someone come along or even someone from WaterAid come over and say something just left a bitter taste really.

On a positive - all the photos are excellent, thank you to everyone who has put them on :D

nice to know our efforts were appreciated <_<

a thank you would be nice, but the money will do a lot of good to people who really need it and that's the most important thing.

i agree with keeping it a bit more relaxed next year. since we have already donated to water aid, we could raise the money for a different charity next year, just form people's suggestions on here, if people are up for that?

i'll help whatever way i can, even if cheerleaders are not needed. :)

Edited by _rachelbon

Some information on the community channel documentary - Glastonbury: Sun, Sweat and Charity - 19th July 8pm

Hopefully it will have a small bit on the footie as they filmed the whole thing and on their Facebook gallery there is a picture of the match.

• 3 weeks later...

The post-festival WaterAid review has recently appeared on The Official Glasto Site ... and all you fine peeps who were involved in some way or other with the Glasto World Cup get a shout :D Well done chaps B) Nice result and all that ... well, apart from the RoW getting a royal stuffing (again) bit anyway ! Why couldn't all you Eng-Er-Landers have been complete cr@p like you were in the inferior looky-likey World Cup game on Sunday :P

... Glasto 2010 will also be remembered as the year Glasto went football crazy – until England got knocked out of the World Cup on Sunday afternoon. WaterAid got into the football spirit too, thanks to a charity football match organised by our friends at E-Festivals which raised over £6000. Nice work, fellas!

Clicky For Linky to news item on the Official Glasto Site.

Edited by mikeb