Just back from Big Session

Guest Bartholomew Banks

Hello all,

Spent an enjoyable Saturday at the Big Session which is the sister festival to the Summer Sundae here in Leicester but have been talking to various people in the know and I'm really concerned that the new organisers of Summer Sundae are changing things for the worse. Got a half price ticket from the Council.

It's shocking but people from the real ale tent have been telling me that they're not coming back to this years Summer Sundae. The organisers have decided to make more money by plumping for a yuppie bar from Henley who have never served a pint of real ale before. It'll mean that each pint of ale will cost us at least £4. Clearly a disgusting travesty.

I was with somebody who tried to give a CD of their music to both Rob Challis (the new organiser) and Andy Black (fringe organiser). Both were rude were to her and keener on talking to their London types whilst drinking copious amounts of Old Rosie cider. She said that their attitude was disgusting and compared it the old organiser Richard Haswell who always had a warm and welcoming word for her.

Apparently, there's all sorts of other differences as well. They won't be the Phrased and Confused tent this year. The promoters of this tent are really big friends with Richard Haswell and refused to do it. Rob Challis didn't mind because he's not at all interested in the things outside of music. That might explain why the poetry hour at the Big Session was on at 11.30 in the morning rather than its usual afternoon slot.

There's all sorts of other changes as well apparently. Different MC's apparently really bland commercial radio DJ's because Richard isn't going to be there, different DJ's (because they're friends with Richard and didn't want to work it if he wasn't) and different staff. Ken isn't working because he's too closely aligned with Richard.

Hoping this all isn't true because I love Summer Sundae and the friendly vibe that it has. I can see that change is a good thing but all of these changes seem to suggest that Summer Sundae is being run by committee by London types and their acolytes rather than the people who know.

Barty

Edited by Rob ic

Who are you Barthy?

Clearly a first time post on this site being a complete hatchet job based on, hearsay and they say, on this year''s festival is questionable. A little bit of honesty/transparency goes a long way with this kind of post. PM me if you like.

I would say that any artist trying to push their stuff on a festival that announced it's bill two months ago isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. If I were in Rob's shoes I'd have teased them about this. Rob was running BS so I guess his priorities lay elsewhere.

Ed.

Edited by Ed Leaf

Hello all,

Spent an enjoyable Saturday at the Big Session which is the sister festival to the Summer Sundae here in Leicester but have been talking to various people in the know and I'm really concerned that the new organisers of Summer Sundae are changing things for the worse. Got a half price ticket from the Council.

It's shocking but people from the real ale tent have been telling me that they're not coming back to this years Summer Sundae. The organisers have decided to make more money by plumping for a yuppie bar from Henley who have never served a pint of real ale before. It'll mean that each pint of ale will cost us at least £4. Clearly a disgusting travesty.

I was with somebody who tried to give a CD of their music to both Rob Challis (the new organiser) and Andy Black (fringe organiser). Both were rude were to her and keener on talking to their London types whilst drinking copious amounts of Old Rosie cider. She said that their attitude was disgusting and compared it the old organiser Richard Haswell who always had a warm and welcoming word for her.

Apparently, there's all sorts of other differences as well. They won't be the Phrased and Confused tent this year. The promoters of this tent are really big friends with Richard Haswell and refused to do it. Rob Challis didn't mind because he's not at all interested in the things outside of music. That might explain why the poetry hour at the Big Session was on at 11.30 in the morning rather than its usual afternoon slot.

There's all sorts of other changes as well apparently. Different MC's apparently really bland commercial radio DJ's because Richard isn't going to be there, different DJ's (because they're friends with Richard and didn't want to work it if he wasn't) and different staff. Ken isn't working because he's too closely aligned with Richard.

Hoping this all isn't true because I love Summer Sundae and the friendly vibe that it has. I can see that change is a good thing but all of these changes seem to suggest that Summer Sundae is being run by committee by London types and their acolytes rather than the people who know.

Barty

Hello all,

Barty

Edited by andyblack

That's a helluva first post Barty!

Most people ease themselves onto the forums, not dive straight in with such a severe tone.

It does look like you have an axe to grind somewhere.....

You seem to know an awful lot of background information.

Are you going to post anything further to prove you are a genuine e-fester, or is it (hatchet) job done for you?

I simply refuse to believe that Andy Black was rude to anyone, he has never ever been anything but friendly and charming as far as I know, even during last year's fringe when he was extremely stressed!

Yes,Andy, how were Stornoway?

Thank God i hate real Ale! :D

seriously, strikes me that there was more to that post than meets the eye and i for one have taken it with a pinch a salt. An axe to grind somewhere maybe?

It does throw up the thought though that the festival will probably have to change slightly and become a little more commercially aware if it wants to survive and if it means we can still get 3 days of great music in Leicester with a lovely chilled out vibe then i for one will accept a little more sponsorship around the place.

however answer the important questions:

1. how were stornoway

2. How was Miles Hunt?

I didn't see Miles Hunt or Stornoway, if that's any help.

Wowser first post OP - I'm not going to dignify it with much of a response other to to say that I don't think your sources are up to much - of the bits I do know about, you're way off the mark. And the 5th para gave me the biggest laugh I've had in ages.

Oh and a half price ticket from the Council - how does that work exactly? I'm intrigued....

Mind you, poetry hour moved to 11.30 in the morning? This is a bad thing? Oh strike me down with your big rhyming wordy words you underfed liberal dilettantes. If it was down to me it would be poetry half hour with no change over time and a good scrap at the end whilst I stick a tenner on the winner. Just like it was a Big Session 2007.:D

Hi Bartholomew,

Glad you had a good time at Big Session.

Just to clarify, you are stating that you obtained a "half price ticket" from the Council to attend Saturday at Big Session and then joined the messageboards at 8.15am on Sunday; subsequently posting hatchet job on the festivals to show your appreciation?

Your email contains a whole number of untruths, which I am not going to reply in full to, but I will reply to some points:

- I've returned to Herts (not London) with a handful of CDs. Would be good to know what act is claiming that they tried to give me a cd. Why don't they or you send a link?

- I don't remember seeing many/any "London types" at Big Session.

- The two festivals have a working group of individuals who have worked on the festivals over many years. Not a committee of "London types".

Whatever you are inferring does not sound very complimentary.

As for all the other information re djs, mcs, bars etc. I don't know where you are getting your information from, but it's full of a number of inaccuracies.

So you know, I also know the people who run Phrased and Confused. I've known them for over 10 years. Needless to say I am upset by your comment. You may or may not know but I've worked on Summer Sundae for 10 years and Big Session for 6 years. As one of the founders of both festivals I don't think your assertion that I care only about the music holds water. So you know, Phrased and Confused received funding to present their stage at Summer Sundae in 2008 and 2009; that funding was not available this year. That's the sole reason they are not here.

If you personally care so much about the festivals perhaps you should reveal why you have such an axe to grind at this moment? We've just produced a great weekend and you are intent on spreading a negative message.

all the best

Rob

Hi Bartholomew,

Glad you had a good time at Big Session.

Just to clarify, you are stating that you obtained a "half price ticket" from the Council to attend Saturday at Big Session and then joined the messageboards at 8.15am on Sunday; subsequently posting hatchet job on the festivals to show your appreciation?

Your email contains a whole number of untruths, which I am not going to reply in full to, but I will reply to some points:

- I've returned to Herts (not London) with a handful of CDs. Would be good to know what act is claiming that they tried to give me a cd. Why don't they or you send a link?

- I don't remember seeing many/any "London types" at Big Session.

- The two festivals have a working group of individuals who have worked on the festivals over many years. Not a committee of "London types".

Whatever you are inferring does not sound very complimentary.

As for all the other information re djs, mcs, bars etc. I don't know where you are getting your information from, but it's full of a number of inaccuracies.

So you know, I also know the people who run Phrased and Confused. I've known them for over 10 years. Needless to say I am upset by your comment. You may or may not know but I've worked on Summer Sundae for 10 years and Big Session for 6 years. As one of the founders of both festivals I don't think your assertion that I care only about the music holds water. So you know, Phrased and Confused received funding to present their stage at Summer Sundae in 2008 and 2009; that funding was not available this year. That's the sole reason they are not here.

If you personally care so much about the festivals perhaps you should reveal why you have such an axe to grind at this moment? We've just produced a great weekend and you are intent on spreading a negative message.

all the best

Rob