• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• TheGayTent

• ampersand

A player who helped get Newcastle up at the 1st time of asking. A player who, lets be honest, could still do a very good job for a number of premiership sides and you're complaining......

I think you're very lucky to have him. He may not be a flair player but look where that has got you in the past!

according to what I've just read in the Times, WHU are also getting Ricardo ... if it Fuller or Gardiner? I forget - the left back that's at Bolton, anyway.

Seems like WHU is going to become the Big Sam Old Boys Club.

I think the signing of Nolan will put them as favourites for going up to be honest and Sam has experience of managing in the lower leagues. They may not play free flowing football but surely the priority is to get straight back up and I think they will do it.

yep, despite Sam's reputation for hoof-ball, I reckon WHU have picked up just about the best manager they could of the current crop for a swift return to the Prem.

It certainly looks a better deal than the rumours of McLiesh for Villa, and they don't even need promotion.

L'equipe (generally pretty reliable) and france football both reporting that Utd have bid €10.5m for Varane. I would've thought us going early for Jones would've killed that story. Only 18 so would be very much one for the future but unsure another CB is a priority? :unsure:

(google translate)

Raphael Varane and RC Lens can count: Lensois defender, who is currently the tray ES, could quickly cross the English Channel. Manchester United has made a written offer to the club Artesian amounting to 10.5 million euros, two years of operating costs of the training center, L'Equipe reported on Thursday. At the time of joining the League 2 and the restrictions that go with the RC Lens would not be against such a big check. Raphael Varane either. Linked to Blood and Gold until 2015 and author of a meteoric rise, the young defender of 18 years should see his salary be at least ten times!

And it's not over. For if Manchester United is the first to propose the concrete to Gervais Martel, others may follow. Varane is closely followed by Manchester City, Paris, Real Madrid, and others. What, may cause an "auction". In any case, wishes to retain Lensois Varane a year seem ready to fly away.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2011/20110616_083457_mu-propose-10-5-m-pour-varane.html

I just got back from working in NYC. I was out in a bar the other night when I noticed Robbie Keane was there. He looked like he was out being entertained by some business types.

Could be anything but I remember there being a rumour he was going to new york red bulls a few months ago. But that died down at the time

I wonder.......

I just got back from working in NYC. I was out in a bar the other night when I noticed Robbie Keane was there. He looked like he was out being entertained by some business types.

Could be anything but I remember there being a rumour he was going to new york red bulls a few months ago. But that died down at the time

I wonder.......

Nolan is an awful transfer because of the size of the fee, the weekly wage, and probably worst of all, the length of the contract. Five years? Little re-sale value...

The priority (for me) very definitely is not top flight status at any cost - which is exactly what we are doing.

I'd sooner play in the conference, sticking by our traditions, than play hoofball and utilise boring/cheating tactics to win the European Cup.

Nolan is an awful transfer because of the size of the fee, the weekly wage, and probably worst of all, the length of the contract. Five years? Little re-sale value...

I thought the fee was about £3M? That's not bad for a player of his calibre, surely, even if there's no resale vale in 5 years?

And while you might not think too much of him as a player, going by the piece in today's times there's plenty who think he's got some special qualities, even if they're not all related to what he might do with a ball on the pitch.

=================

I see the Carling Cup draw is out, and that WHU are getting a visit from Aldershot. While that's probably as good as bye for West Ham, am I right in thinking that last time Aldershot visited (or more correctly, Aldershot Town - the old club that went bust) they turned you over (it would have been about 1990 I think, and an FA Cup match I think)? If not, was it that they took you to a replay? My memory is failing me.

I thought the fee was about £3M? That's not bad for a player of his calibre, surely, even if there's no resale vale in 5 years?

And while you might not think too much of him as a player, going by the piece in today's times there's plenty who think he's got some special qualities, even if they're not all related to what he might do with a ball on the pitch.

=================

I see the Carling Cup draw is out, and that WHU are getting a visit from Aldershot. While that's probably as good as bye for West Ham, am I right in thinking that last time Aldershot visited (or more correctly, Aldershot Town - the old club that went bust) they turned you over (it would have been about 1990 I think, and an FA Cup match I think)? If not, was it that they took you to a replay? My memory is failing me.

My issue isn't with his quality. It's largely to do with the overall cost (not just the fee) and the type of player...

The Times says he was on £42k at Newc, but turned down a new contract at £50k - so I guess he'll be on something similar. Which I guess is a lot for the Champs. Mind you, with the likes of Parker and others off the books it'll be a saving of sorts.

But I guess with the likes of Parker going out you'll be needing some new midfielders. Will you get to keep Hitzelberger or will he be off too?