Best band? Thoughts of the weekend

Guest lighty2

I loved the Lightning Seeds and The South. I usually love The Levellers but thought they were trying a bit hard to 'out-punk' the crowd (or maybe I've seen them as Drunk-in-Public too many times where they are softer?).

Toumani Diabaté was lovely and soothing ... sent my whole family to sleep! So chilled there in the sun.

Ate about 4 times from GadoGado - delicious noodles, and the oan Fish curry was divine too.

Lots in the introducing tent was really good. Better than most things in the big top.

Happy Mondays were very poor.

Ade Edmondson and the bad shepherds played the same set they did last year at Cropredy (disappointing).

lightning seeds, The South, Kila, Goldheart Assembly and Seth Lakeman all really really good.

But I will forever be a Dreadzone girl and one of the bouncing crew at the front :)

I wondered whether it was lack of didgeredoo but considering it was a festival where lots of people won't be fans I was surprised at some of the tracks they played. That said I'm an 'early 90s' girl and therefore love a bit of Weapon Called the Word/Levellers/Zeitgeist and stretch to Green Day rising so put it down to the set list.

I suspect that i may be in the minority then as i really enjoyed the Happy Mondays! i thought that Saturday was a cracking day - Mr B, Piney Gir, Goldheart Assembly, the mighty Pauline Black etc!! Also loved The Travelling Band on Friday and Rook and the Ravens on Sunday! I did leap about to the Levellers, but would not regard myself as a fan....it's all about opinions isn't it!

Great weekend all around - tickets fro next year purchased on the way out.

I suspect that i may be in the minority then as i really enjoyed the Happy Mondays! i thought that Saturday was a cracking day - Mr B, Piney Gir, Goldheart Assembly, the mighty Pauline Black etc!! Also loved The Travelling Band on Friday and Rook and the Ravens on Sunday! I did leap about to the Levellers, but would not regard myself as a fan....it's all about opinions isn't it!

Great weekend all around - tickets fro next year purchased on the way out.

I only lasted as far as Kinky Afro before abandoning the Mondays. Can't really get excited by the Seeds or the South, although nostalgic to hear some of the old hits.

For us Toumani was great, though we would have liked more solo kora in the set.

Seth Lakeman was brilliant. I think he's getting even better on stage.

Baraka were really great in the marquee.

Otway was phenomenal, I have never laughed so much, and my kids have never seen anyone quite so daft on stage before.

Some good new bands on the BBC stage.

Not sure who was my favourite act of the weekend. It was a little strange in that there were plenty of bands who were good, but none that made me want to rush out and instantly buy their music or tickets to their next tour.

Of the bands I hadn't heard before, the first band we heard at the festival: Arcadian Kicks were pretty good. Also really enjoyed Toumani Diabaté, Pauline Black, Jali Fily Cissokho and Kila sounded good, although I only caught the last few minutes of their set.

There were a number of bands that I have seen before who were as good as they always are. Seth Lakeman, The Lightning Seeds, Levellers, Dreadzone were all great. Oh and I almost forgot Justin Currie who I thought was brilliant. Oh and Mr B who had the big top chuckling on Saturday afternoon.

The only real disappointment was the Happy Mondays. I gave them 3 tracks before deciding enough was enough and heading off to the big top. That and the fact I managed to miss John Ottway. That'll teach me to volunteer to nip out to Sainsbury's to get food :-(

• 4 weeks later...

Best band of the weekend? By some distance ... Rusty Shackle, first band on in the Big Top on Friday ... absolutely blew the roof(?) off the thing.

Recommend you check them out if you like The Levellers, Mumford and Sons etc ... they do an awesome version of Bonkers by Dizzie Rascal ... seriously!!!

Look for them on Myspace ... think they have their own site too.

Hoping they'll be back at Wychwood in 2011 ... maybe higher up the bill ... fingers crossed.