Disposable BBQ's

Guest wow400

Right, last time I used some of these poxy disposable BBQ's, they took forever to light, only got decently hot in about 1/3 of the cooking area & then went out before we'd finished :blink:

Well, they were from Poundland!

Anyone got any good advice (apart from don't bother!) about where to buy decent ones etc?

Ta

Yeah never really had a problem with them.

For a little tip though, tilt all the coals up one end (and one corner) before you light. That way all the coal is piled up together and the heat is intesified. Once the flames go out and coals turn white, shake it up to spread the coal out evenly. You may even want to leave one end without coal so you have a cooler part for bits that are nearly done.

Jobs a goodun. Hope that helps.

Yeah never really had a problem with them.

For a little tip though, tilt all the coals up one end (and one corner) before you light. That way all the coal is piled up together and the heat is intesified. Once the flames go out and coals turn white, shake it up to spread the coal out evenly. You may even want to leave one end without coal so you have a cooler part for bits that are nearly done.

Jobs a goodun. Hope that helps.

I hate them. I mean I really hate them. I have lost count of the amount of visits to the beach I have had disturbed by people using these poxy things. They stink for everyone else within a hundred yard radius for bloody hours (worse than burning plastic imo) and are one of the worst examples I can think of of our use it once and throw it away culture. I would lump people who use these things in with those other ambience wrecking no empathy for others I'm alright Jack flag carriers. They don't even do the job of cooking very well. As well as tainting everything with the aroma of firelighters (ie petrol), it's like trying to cook a sausage with a candle.

FFS buy a camping stove or just build a fire.

Disposable barbeque? Yeah, that's just another definition of "campfire" isn't it?

End rant.

I'd agree with MrZigster to an extent. I see lots of these strewn and discarded everywhere. Half used with usually burnt dog-burgers attached them. And yes the stink as it seems no-one knows how to get them goign and siomply put shiteloads of firelighters/paraffin blocks on them.

Get a camping stove, build a proper fire and take some charcoal or even get one of these portable gas powered BBQs:

image16734.jpg

http://www.socal.co.uk/Portable_Barbecue/C...que_)/137/16734

I hate them. I mean I really hate them. I have lost count of the amount of visits to the beach I have had disturbed by people using these poxy things. They stink for everyone else within a hundred yard radius for bloody hours (worse than burning plastic imo) and are one of the worst examples I can think of of our use it once and throw it away culture. I would lump people who use these things in with those other ambience wrecking no empathy for others I'm alright Jack flag carriers. They don't even do the job of cooking very well. As well as tainting everything with the aroma of firelighters (ie petrol), it's like trying to cook a sausage with a candle.

Disposable barbeque? Yeah, that's just another definition of "campfire" isn't it?

End rant.

Me too, so much cheap decent food on site - by the time you've factored in all the costs - buying the bbq, getting the meat (throwing half away cos you are too full and don't want to keep for the next day) bringing bread rolls and ketchup... may as well just pop to on of the stalls!

That and this year i am planning on going as lighjt as possible and saving the cash i would of spent on pre-festival tat and food on in festival food and beer!

We tried to use one of these BBQ's last year....for it only to be trampled on by people cutting through all the tents :blink:

This year I dont think we will both :unsure:

We normally take a some for the first few days breakfast. I'm sure we got a pack of 5 (with a useful carry handle) from Argos for £10 a couple of years back. My main tip is to freeze all your perishables before you leave, they'll stay colder and fresher for longer.

Would be interested to find out if they sell these on site too!

Does anyone know.

Are you able to buy Disposable BBQ's from any of the stalls on site, or do you have to take them with you. Just thinking about the amount of stuff to carry from the car! :)

End rant.

Have a mooch around and try and get hold of a barbeque in a bucket

They are around a tenner, they look like a 10 inch dia can, with 2 grilles with them. Coal goes on the first grill, you cook on the top one.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Barbecues/Por...ue/invt/0284640

£7.98 plus coal and lighters!

Bargain!

I've heard a few gripes about disposables before and they had got me thinking, it's persuading hubby that's the tricky thing! So after a couple of years of never getting round to buying a proper one, we got a £15 BBQ and some of those bags of carcoal (where you light the bag). The man is converted! I think TJ Hughes do smaller bags of charcoal that would be perfect for a bit of breakfast BBQing and I reckon he's happy to go for either the bucket (also in Sainsburys) or a travel BBQ (flatter and with bigger surface area) for about £12.

Sorted :D

have a fire most nights and a cooker for tins and things but always take one of these for lunch on wednesday. after i finished with it i use the metal tray to contain my fires in the evening.