Xtreme cool box?

Guest pegpuss

Has anyone got / used one of the Igloo or Coleman Xtreme cool boxes please, and if so do they work???

I want to know if they're as good as they claim to be (i.e keep icey for 5 days) before I spend lots of money on one.

I don't want soggy sausages by the second day and as it's going to be hot this year (non-negotiable) I thought I might invest wisely!

This is the sort of thing I was looking at

Linky

Has anyone got / used one of the Igloo or Coleman Xtreme cool boxes please, and if so do they work???

I want to know if they're as good as they claim to be (i.e keep icey for 5 days) before I spend lots of money on one.

I don't want soggy sausages by the second day and as it's going to be hot this year (non-negotiable) I thought I might invest wisely!

Linky

The handle on the one you linked to is flimsy indeed. We tried it in the shop, there is no way that'd do going over a field. We bought a Coleman for £59.99 from Charlies. It's in the shed so I can't remember name but there is a substantial handle at the end of the box. Here's to ice :lol:

Been using igloo coolers for years. secret is to get the biggest block of ice you can manage. usually 1-2 4ltr ice cream tubs do the trick.

dont drain the water below the drain plug,, its the cold water that stops the ice from melting and also draws the condensation from items in the cooler.

put 1-2 bags of supermarket size ice cubes in the cooler for 2 days to cool it before you add the block of ice and your food /drink

I usually pack the cooler on the tuesday afternoon and there is always ice left on the following monday.. milk is colder than it is out of a fridge.

another tip is to buy a vacuum sealer (£25- £30 ) and seal your food...that way water from the bottom of the fridge wont penetrate it as well as preserving it for much longer.

if you know anyone with a costco card ...igloo coolers are very reasonably priced.

Thanks again guys!

Misseatalot....I've looked at that model too, it was a toss up, but I think the handle issue might have swayed me now!

Port...that sounds like great advice, I wouldn't have thought about vacuum sealing things!

I usually make a batch of chilli / bolognaise / curry / whatever to freeze and use as ice packs in a standard cool box then have as "real" dinners in the first day or two. I plan to go with doing that again this year.

We're heading down on Tuesday this year, so I needed things to keep an extra day if possible...it now sounds like it will be :D

Linky

Edited by Ponyegg

I have the 70 Litre Igloo without wheels, however we are in the caravan! I follow the one or 2 huge blocks of ice theory, cool everything before it goes in, scatter loose ice on top to fill the gaps and we still had ice when we left the site last year. Its my best ever caravan/camping purchase, use it in summer to keep things cool and in winter to keep our essential supplies all in one place as the fridge is quite tiny! :)

I've just bought the 50qt Coleman. Thanks for all the advice on here. I will take in as much as I can. All I want is sausage and bacon for breakfast each day and my Boddies kept cool until Sunday.
Edited by StoneCircle