planned forum upgrade

Guest eFestivals

The forums are planned to be upgraded to the latest version of the forums software around the dates of Friday 11th (evening/night), Saturday 12th, or Sunday 13th June.

I've yet to decide when exactly the upgrade will take place over that weekend, because of the various issues around the upgrade (some of which take a long while to run, and will need the forums to be offline), and the fact that it's the start of the festie season. I'll post a firm date here when I have one.

There's many new features in the upgrade, one of which will be a 'mobile skin' so that people who access the forums from their phone will have a lightweight way of accessing the forums, which will speed up their use of it.

The upgrade will happen on the evening of Friday 11th June.

The forums will be offline from around 10pm that evening, for around two hours while the upgrade takes place.

The 'My Festivals Groups' feature won't be available after the upgrade, as there's no upgrade path for this add-on. People who are already members of any group forums will be able to continue to use those forums until the end of 2010, but it won't be possible for new people to join those groups.

There might be some issues with (some or all) posts/blogs/galleries not displaying properly for the first 24 hours or so after the upgrade, while some post-upgrade routines are run to make these compatible with the upgraded forums.

Any other issues I become aware of will be posted here when I know of them.

for a number of reasons, this might not now happen this evening - but I'm still hoping that it will.

Things are dependant on how much time I get today to resolve the outstanding issues so that everything is in place for the upgrade to happen.

I'll make a further post later today, when things are clearer.

Well, things ain't clearer. :lol:

There's one particular issue that's stopping things going ahead as things stand right now, but it's possible that I'll have the info I need before 10pm tonight, which is when I hope to start the upgrade.

Alternatively, there is a possible workaround, so I might choose to go with that as there's not many opportunities in the near future for me to do it.

The initial part of the upgrade has now been completed.

There's some post-upgrade routines that need to be run over the next 24 hours, and until they've been run there might be some issues with things not displaying as they should do.

There's various bits and pieces that need to be setup within the new forums, and it's going to probably take me a week or two to get those bits done - please do bear with me.

Not sure if this is of any real relevance or not ... but it seems like when the forums were upgraded, it is possible that all users were set as "logged in" regardless of their actual status immediately prior to the upgrade or something a bit odd happened anyway.

One of the side-effects appears to be a shedload of "topic reply" emails sent to an old and pretty much unused efests login of mine over night ! Normally, when you're logged out then you only get the 1 email for the first new post no matter how many replies are subsequently posted, as indeed I have on this efests login. However, on the old login that hasn't been used for ages, I received 1 email for every post on a particular thread between around midnight and 0800 this morning.

Not a problem for me needless to say but could perhaps be creating unnecessary stress for your mail server and costing bandwidth etc. if this is a general issue and/or users aren't being automatically "logged out" after a sensible period of inactivity and/or whatever is/was going on hasn't already been spotted and fixed.

Edited by mikeb

This is much better as the forums and the block are now formatted for my uber wide screen which makes life so so so much easier for me to see.

Only a couple of whinges

First is the type face in the reply box is still very small for me and I have to control + to be able to see what I am typing... However I can live with that

Second is the Symbian mobile issue

I know you have turned off the mobile skin, however I am unable to brows the site now as its not formatted for my phone.... however I will wait and see what developments come our in the future...

Otherwise a win from me... :):):)

I will be a pain in the arse and keep posting stuff in here.. sorry

When using the Facebook link from a thread there is no thumb nail for Efestivals available..

So it come up with IP boards Logo...

could that be changed? would be good to see the efest logo when posting

I'll get used to it, like all other upgrades. May have to go play with my avatar's colours again... :D

Have just been trying to search a forum though, and can;t find the search button any more. Is that just me, or is it waiting to be added back on at some stage?

Edit: Just me - found it above my mush, right hand side. :rolleyes:

Edited by timespeedsup