food and drink

Guest monalee

looking at the rules it says you can't take your own food or alcohol? does anyone remember from previous years how much alcohol and a meal cost roughly? i'm trying to work out how much money to take with me

Eh? I never really look at the rules with a toothcomb... but are you saying you cannot take yer own bait in??? Never.

Drink , i can easily accept--that just goes without saying... but you are syaing you cant take a picnic in --or baby food? Bollocks.

The food inside at Wychwood... probably one of the best ranges of food available at a fest of this size i`ve came across. Loads of choice... but---its expensive--esp if you are having to buy every mouthful.

I remember paying 7quid i think for a "platter" of lebonese bait. PLatter me arse... couple of mouthfuls and that was it.

afaic--- cook at your site--fill yersell up--and then snack on some "treats" inside when yer pissed etc.

Beer, once again typical festy prices.... about 3-4 quid.

Are you sure about the food? Tell yer --if i was going,and was walking in with my kids, and a steward tried to take an apple or summat off the bairn... there would be f**kin trouble--- never mind the previous threads.

That is ridiculous. What other reason than--captive audience--lets screw em into the ground?

I would seriously consider not going.

High Voltage festival in London have announced exactly that.. nio drink, no food and once yer in--you can`t get out and re-enter.

Its getting like Ryanair on the ground!!

den

the FAQ says:

Q. What is the policy regarding food and drink at the festival?

You can’t bring your own food and alcohol into the festival village. There are plenty of food stalls that cater for all tastes at reasonable prices and the bars stock a range of drinks.

This policy does not apply to the campsite. You can eat and drink your own supplies on the campsite. We do appreciate that people with allergies and/or children may find that they need to bring some food and soft drinks/water with them into the Festival Village, but please restrict this to what is reasonable.

Please DO NOT bring any glass into the Festival Village; it and its contents will be confiscated!

WOW--- look--last year...I left the arena..went back to the caravan, cooked a huge f**k-off stir fry and walked all the way back with it---in the wok and shared it out (inc to someone on this very forum who is going to be a steward).

Maybe that could be regarded now as a H&S issue.... but i am truly shocked that yer not allowed to take bait in--esp if you are a family of 5 --and what with the prices. Its not right.

yeah, i can understand them not wanting us to bring our own alcohol but not allowing us to take our own food is a bit steep.

oh well, i've got a free vip ticket anyway, it'll be an experience.

nope sorry, can you not buy them anymore?

The food thing is a bit of a bugger - I guess it's because they can charge more for the foodie trader pitches if they promise to cut down on picnics. I suppose the festival has to try and make what it can to keep ticket prices down - i doubt it makes much profit anyway - but it is harsh on families in particular.

Personally I've always had a huge breakfast before going in and take a break and pop back to the tent for nosh (and a few swifties) at some point.....but that's because I can't be bothered carrying stuff around.

The alcohol thing is a bit different - only those festivals with a spotless record (and a decent local council) are allowed to let people take alcohol into the arenas nowadays. And spotless doesn't just mean arrests. All festivals are monitored - and a few people staggering around drunk will be enough to affect the licence conditions.

No licence, no festival.

The food thing is a bit of a bugger - I guess it's because they can charge more for the foodie trader pitches if they promise to cut down on picnics. I suppose the festival has to try and make what it can to keep ticket prices down - i doubt it makes much profit anyway - but it is harsh on families in particular.

Personally I've always had a huge breakfast before going in and take a break and pop back to the tent for nosh (and a few swifties) at some point.....but that's because I can't be bothered carrying stuff around.

The alcohol thing is a bit different - only those festivals with a spotless record (and a decent local council) are allowed to let people take alcohol into the arenas nowadays. And spotless doesn't just mean arrests. All festivals are monitored - and a few people staggering around drunk will be enough to affect the licence conditions.

No licence, no festival.

to be fair it does say:

"We do appreciate that people with allergies and/or children may find that they need to bring some food and soft drinks/water with them into the Festival Village, but please restrict this to what is reasonable."

So if somebody does try to take an apple or crisps off your kid there'll be at least one steward on your side.

This is clearly just to stop people bringing in huge cool-boxes/picnic baskets - which, when camped in front of the main stage, are a total pain anyway.

Have to agree with my Northern Chum - the drink thing yes, but the food ban is just crap. Glad I won't be enforcin' that rule - no, you can't bring in a picnic, or even a mars bar. Who would have guessed, from his kagooled avatar, that my new Steward Friend Geofelgie likes a fried breakfast ?

a few sarnies or sommat with the line "my littlun' is so fussy and sometimes needs to eat immediately" would seem to fall in line with what they say in the faq.

Yes---alcohol is just a no no. Simple as that. But food...nah. The tickets prices never come down (what does) --but this sort of ruling ,if enforced will get peoples backs up at the gate...I mean---how many punters actually read the rules with a magnifying glass...and i repeat... if i were at the gate...and one of the bairns had crisps or apple or something..and you or marooned made em throw it away,or not let em in, and i`d had ale... well, sorry like---its a recipe for disaster and would onlt see the reduction in families attending.

The bait is at least £5 a head, so for us to eat inside... its something like £15-£25 each time..and with the portions not very big...that could easily be £100 a day.... and I`m not exagerating here really.

Yeah... back to the tent etc etc...but once again... with kids in tow..its a right arse on.

Punters are just being screwed and theres no doubtr about it. It is just not fair and goes against all my feelings of decency and right.

alcohol a no no unless you are a middle class family it would seem!!

it was outrageous the amount of people with their chairs , tents, bottles of wine sitting in front of main stage - i watched one family walk straight past stewards and then they stopped me - i didnt even have a bag or anything.

THIS is double standards, i cant help being young and working class - WE will not be returning to this festival - oh it was just one girl at gate that seemed to be upsetting a few people i spoke too!! its a shame as great music, beautiful site - and thanks to all the northerners that remembered how to smile!!!

Hmmmnnnn... yeah. I`ve seen this time and time again. A family with bairns is a very different proposition to the likes of thou see. You ---- you are the trouble element see.

Thats the human nature of the gaurds... and like you say--theres always one. Its just unlucky you got that one.

Its no different to anywhere else though... in fact, its lots "worse" at most places of this size.

btw--- if you didnt have a bag etc--- what exactly did they do to you? Maybe she fancied you perhaps?

Dont let it put you off marrer---if you go next year---and I do--you can walk in with me, as my son!

Your last sentence simply goes as read.... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: and theres some more for yer.

den

Hmmmnnnn... yeah. I`ve seen this time and time again. A family with bairns is a very different proposition to the likes of thou see. You ---- you are the trouble element see.

Thats the human nature of the gaurds... and like you say--theres always one. Its just unlucky you got that one.

Its no different to anywhere else though... in fact, its lots "worse" at most places of this size.

btw--- if you didnt have a bag etc--- what exactly did they do to you? Maybe she fancied you perhaps?

Dont let it put you off marrer---if you go next year---and I do--you can walk in with me, as my son!

Your last sentence simply goes as read.... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: and theres some more for yer.

den

We had a few staff issues at that point of entry....safe to say the same won't be happening next year...

Seriously, if we are to take it that the people on the entrance are Volunteers... well--i`m telling yer people... stop moaning--cos if they are replaced with paid for security.... yer wont even get in if you got a geetle on the cloth, I`m tellin yer. Take heed.

den

Well said.

Talking food and drink I think next year it should be compulsory for the Moorish food people to be there. Twas the best festival food I've ever eaten!

Yes - it was the one by the bus. I know what you're saying about price but is any food cheap at festivals? Pizza Express were charging £10 for their 'meal deal' of a (small) pizza, dough balls and I think drink - at least the moorish morsels were hand made by someone's Grandad in the back of the tent rather than mass produced in a factory and shipped in on a Pizza Express van.

To be honest self catering is probably the only way to keep the food costs reasonable - especially if you are a family - but that means having to keep leave the festival to make food.

The frozen margarita people got it right when the did their half price sale at the end of the festival. No such policy adopted by Waitrose cocktail bar...

Yes - it was the one by the bus. I know what you're saying about price but is any food cheap at festivals? Pizza Express were charging £10 for their 'meal deal' of a (small) pizza, dough balls and I think drink - at least the moorish morsels were hand made by someone's Grandad in the back of the tent rather than mass produced in a factory and shipped in on a Pizza Express van.

To be honest self catering is probably the only way to keep the food costs reasonable - especially if you are a family - but that means having to keep leave the festival to make food.

The frozen margarita people got it right when the did their half price sale at the end of the festival. No such policy adopted by Waitrose cocktail bar...