How to keep Beer/Drinks cold

Guest Yoda21

I'm guessing you're staying in a tent rather than going in a camper van. :P

Besides going the obvious cool box and ice route, the best way seems to be storing you beer under the groundsheet of your tent overnight. It won't get super chilled, but at least it'll be at an acceptable temperature.

Oh, a bucket of water covered with a wet cloth is another other option.

Every year I take...

60 cans of cider, 40 of these will go in the freezer on Monday 21st evening and 10 on Tuesday 22nd morning, 1 or 2 may blow so be prepared to clean up on your return if you are going to try this, (the other 10 go in the fridge by the way)

About a bottle and a half of vodka frozen with various juices in sports cap 500ml bottles (The bottles are saved in the the time from ticket day to about now) I will be making these up at the weekend and putting them in the freezer. Vodka and five alive citrus is one of my favourites. :P Will be trying Vodka and Oasis Extra Light for the first time this year as have been battling the bulge and lost three stone so far (More to go yet!) don't plan to put too much of it back on at Glastonbury.

I also freeze 2x2 litre bottles of water I have two big M&S cool bags I put 30 ciders in each 1 of the waters in each and then split the frozen vodka Juices between them.

Also a box of Cote Du Rhone

1st trip from the car I take the bag with the ten ciders from the Tuesday evening then Saturday afternoon I collect the other bag, I don't drink all this myself by the way I'm of generous nature, if you bump into a big bubbly girl/lady offering nice cold drinks to you, it's probably me!

Freezer.

Fill with booze and mixers and 2 litre water bottles.

A very strong cool box (do NOT buy a cheap one from Asda or Morrisons or Toscos).

Fill with frozen drinks.

Get to site and attach heavy but strong cool box to...

A decent trolley with pneumatic tyres and bungees.

Wheel to camping site.

Enjoy ice cool drinks for weekend.

Freezer.

Fill with booze and mixers and 2 litre water bottles.

A very strong cool box (do NOT buy a cheap one from Asda or Morrisons or Toscos).

Fill with frozen drinks.

Get to site and attach heavy but strong cool box to...

A decent trolley with pneumatic tyres and bungees.

Wheel to camping site.

Enjoy ice cool drinks for weekend.

best bet is to freeze everything - then place in a big plastic bucket for the journey covered in ice. Then it's a call as to whether to carry the ice with you to the tent... I just take the beer.

Keep it wrapped up well, and it will stay cold for a while, but by thursday friday you'll be lucky if anything is cold (if weather is good!)

Only other option it to try and buy ice from the bars/shops.

If you can stretch your budget get a decent cool box with wheels. Like a Coleman or an Igloo. Go for the 5-day ones (approx £40-£70+). We've got one like this (Igloo)

igloo.jpg

have taken it for the past 3 years, we fill it with 30kg+ of ice, it stays as ice throughout the 5 days, take another box to decant some ice into to put your cans in, that way the temp of the main box doesn't dip too far and you've got ice all weekend. If you don;t want to buy ice, fill about 10-15 2lt bottles with tap water and freeze them, then place them in the box, you could then place the beer on top of this, should last approx 2-3 days and would keep them cool as well.)

I was at a festival this weekend and it was sweltering.

I took a small coolbag with 2 ice blocks and about 30 cider cans in (from the fridge at home, so cold to start with). Keeping the bag outside my tent at night in the cool, and covered in the shade in the day time, I was surprised that even after 3 days of the heat my drinks were still relatively cold. WIN!

Compare this to my water bottle - the contents of which were warm by about half an hour in the sun each time I filled it up.

Perhaps an obvious solution but cheaper than the other ones mentioned so thought I'd let you know :P

• 2 weeks later...
Every year I take...

60 cans of cider, 40 of these will go in the freezer on Monday 21st evening and 10 on Tuesday 22nd morning, 1 or 2 may blow so be prepared to clean up on your return if you are going to try this, (the other 10 go in the fridge by the way)

About a bottle and a half of vodka frozen with various juices in sports cap 500ml bottles (The bottles are saved in the the time from ticket day to about now) I will be making these up at the weekend and putting them in the freezer. Vodka and five alive citrus is one of my favourites. :D Will be trying Vodka and Oasis Extra Light for the first time this year as have been battling the bulge and lost three stone so far (More to go yet!) don't plan to put too much of it back on at Glastonbury.

I also freeze 2x2 litre bottles of water I have two big M&S cool bags I put 30 ciders in each 1 of the waters in each and then split the frozen vodka Juices between them.

Also a box of Cote Du Rhone

1st trip from the car I take the bag with the ten ciders from the Tuesday evening then Saturday afternoon I collect the other bag, I don't drink all this myself by the way I'm of generous nature, if you bump into a big bubbly girl/lady offering nice cold drinks to you, it's probably me!

• 1 year later...

Hello, not sure if thiswill cover the volume of drink you seem to be taking but - posted this on another cold food & drink question, so it should be helpful:

Ok, just ordered some more Chillerz reusable ice-packs one of Australia's finest inventions I might add! & one of their 'Chillerz Ultimate Cool-Bags' which are HALF PRICE FOLKS until the end of June so perfect for Glastonbury, www.chillerz.com.

A mate of ours had these last year at the Big Chill and whilst we all had crappy freeze blocks, ice & cheapo cool-bags which resulted in ice melting away by end of day 1, making everything wet, soggy, stinky and by day 3 we all had a nasty stinky bacteria soup.

He on the other hand used these Chillerz things and had nice cold drinks & fresh food for the whole 4 days without spending a fortune at the stalls nor having to contend with a hot food sludge inside his cooler! So, heed this all fellow festival goers - its important info, good to know and will save you many pennies & you can reuse these things over and over again!

Here's the lowdown from their website:-

Chillerz Ice Packs

Chillerz packs contain 3 unique ice-replacement sheets that will fit and mould into any size cooler perfectly, keeping food & drinks icy cold and fresh for days! The Chillerz packs are the prefect solution for many hundreds of outdoor and indoor activities, they do not melt, they are easy to use, are lightweight, easy to store, can be cut to size and reused hundreds of times either frozen, chilled or hot! If you've used the old style gel packs and freezer blocks enter the new ice-age with Chillerz keeping all your goods chilled & fresh for days without any mess, waste or spoiled food!

Chillerz Ultimate Cool-Bag

Features include:

» Completely collapsible & easy to store when not in use

» Lightweight & fully washable inside and out

» Large insulated front utility compartment

» Unique insulated lined upper compartment

» Removable & washable inner lining in case of accidental spill

» Reflecta-Lite Technology to reflect the heat from the suns rays

» Additional inner mobile phone holder, key fob & book pouch.

» Ergonomically designed to fit comfortably to the body

» Quality carry handles, fastenings & adjustable shoulder strap

» Manufactured from high quality materials

» Large capacity 32 Litres

We've just bought 2 x Chillerz packs & the Chillerz Cool-Bag for half-price!!! - its a cracking deal and cheaper than a night on the razzle and you'll be using these things at all festivals next year and for years to come, so not a bad deal at all! Hope this helps, you can order online at www.chillerz.com or call them on 01482 443621 - they offer quick next day service and they're really helpful when you speak to them.

Happy days await, come on glasto!!!

We usually take a flexi tub and fill it with ice on our minibus journey there, keeps them nice and cold in the car park the night before.. after this fill it with water from the taps on site and drinks stay pretty cool all day.. Can hold a handle each too so it's not too heavy!

We got ours from Tesco this year was about £3-4, could only find the multipack on the website but gives you an idea of what they are :)

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-1054.aspx