FOI requests for policing costs of festivals

Guest dorlomin

I am trying to put together a FOI request to get the police costs for a festival (Glade 2009) to see what they account as costs and what those costs were.

My current wording is "can you provide a breakdown of the costs for Hampshire police in policing Glade Festival 2009".

Do any of the festival orginisers here or others have any advice on this especially on narrowing the language?

I intend to use it in conjuntion with this document.....

http://www.polfig.com/Documents/2009_ACPO_...ll_document.pdf

Hey there, are you - or have you spoken to - a Mr Milliken who's doing research in the same field? If you are, hello, if you aren't, I'll put the two of you in touch.

(edit - didn't see the document at the end of your post.. hard to miss!)

Edited by naarjtie

Hey there, are you - or have you spoken to - a Mr Milliken who's doing research in the same field? If you are, hello, if you aren't, I'll put the two of you in touch.

(edit - didn't see the document at the end of your post.. hard to miss!)

Edited by dorlomin

No idea who they are but any help would be welcome.

I have found this template from the Guardian so Ill be using this.

And I think getting info on a number of other festivals.

Another question as well, which 3 festivals would people say most resemble Glade in terms of size and policing requirement?

Edited by Rufus Gwertigan

I am trying to put together a FOI request to get the police costs for a festival (Glade 2009) to see what they account as costs and what those costs were.

My current wording is "can you provide a breakdown of the costs for Hampshire police in policing Glade Festival 2009".

While I guess you probably won't agree with what numbers they might provide, the police will certainly be able to justify their own charges against their own criteria. So I'm not sure what you might achieve via getting the info you're after.

I think the issue is one that's much more basic: is it right that the police should charge for policing?

If they're charging for the likes of festivals and football matches on the basis that they're commercial events, why should charging stop at just those ad-hoc events? Why shouldn't (say) the likes of Tesco also be charged an extra policing fee, on the same basis that their ability to operate and so make money is facilitated by the existence and support of the police (and on from that, all of the criminal justice system)?

And conversely, if the likes of Tesco get policing for free, why should the likes of festivals and football matches be singled out for charges when Tesco are not? It's not a level playing field.

Having said that, there is a difference between Tesco and a festival - Tesco pays business rates on the premises they use for their commercial business, while the same might not (probably doesn't) apply to a festival site (tho it might do to a promoter's offices).

Meanwhile, Tesco and football match have the same basis - both pay business rates on their premises. So why are football clubs charged but not Tesco? Both provide a service for profit that's wanted by and of use to the local community.

So the business rates anomaly for festival sites is clearly something that needs addressing in some manner, but is direct charging by the police the real answer? Given that police services come from local authority budgets, and the local authority is the one that grants a festival's licence, surely if there is to be a charge then it should be charged by the local authority that then pays the police?

Have you contacted the festivals directly? I would think that they would be willing to readily provide the data.

I would be interested what security/stewarding provisions they had to put in place that would cost £220,000 as compared to the Police bill of £90,000

the problem with asking festivals is that they have a profit motive to provide false info if they're inclined to tell porkies. The same isn't really true if the data comes from the police forces.

I dont want to know how much the police charged, but how much they actually spent and how they justified the price.

I also want to compare a few festivals policing and see how different events are policed.

As a citizen I have a legal right to this information. What happens next depends on the information. Given the number of festivals going under, time to have a look at the polices contribution....

I dont want to know how much the police charged, but how much they actually spent and how they justified the price.

I also want to compare a few festivals policing and see how different events are policed.

As a citizen I have a legal right to this information. What happens next depends on the information. Given the number of festivals going under, time to have a look at the polices contribution....

Here's a case study: An event I'm familiar with is doing Thursday night camping for 500 people. The police request a mimimum presence on site of 2 officers and a sergeant (any less than this is presumably against health and safety) at £60 per hour and £70 per hour respectively. It's now going to cost the event in the region of £4000 just for policing of the Thursday - not taking into account first aid or security. This makes the event completely unviable.