Leaving kids at home.

Guest Rufus Gwertigan

I know many of us like to go to the festival without having kids around our necks.

I was wondering what some people do with their kids whilst they are away.

My preferred way is to leave them tied up in the back garden so they can freely poo and eat the grass, but I have been known to keep them in the shed but they fight.

kids-picture1.gif

Seriously I always take them. But now they are 18 they can buy their own f**king ticket!!

Have you always taken your kids with you? I have a boy coming up 4 and the thought of him being near massive crowds sends me into total panic. Have you got any tips on calming this, or is it just me and my 'worst case scenario' parenting head that I just need to get over? Haha

We are leaving our 5 year old with my sister and her lovely family.

Although he'll have a great time overall, there will be times when he won't want to be there.

Although i'm excited about Glasto, there's always a darkish cloud of anxiety that goes with it.

I'll have to take him from Somerset to York on the Wednesday and go get him on the Monday.

I'm in awe of those who bring small children and still have a great / safe time. Although he will definately come with us at some point in the future, i can't do that yet, too anxious and too busy being a child myself :P

Sometimes i wish i could just get over myself and be a bit more chilled out :P

I left the kids with their grandma in the past, as I wasn't confident enough to take them.

Taking my daughter this year (although she turned 16 this week, so she's not really a 'kid' anymore).

I have massive respect for parents with young children at glasto.

this year i'm coming with my wife. we're from rome.

our son is 1-1/2 year old. she wants to bring him with us, but i'd prefer to leave him at home with his grandparents.

so, what's the youngest child you ever brought to glasto? ho was it? did you have fun or it was a difficult journey?

thanks

I have taken my son when he was 4 months old but is was a nightmare, so now I will be leaving my son 5 and daughter 2 with the grandparents.

They may get a chance to come in 2013 depending on how I feel.

When my brother and I were younger, my parents shipped us off to the grandparent's house in the middle of the countryside. It was the most boring weekend of the year, especially when we had to see everyone enjoying themselves at Glasto on the News in the evenings.

Thankfully, these days we both get to go now :P

I'm going with my 5 year old granddaughter and her parents. We've taken her most years since 2007 and she has decided we are not going without her. :P Actually she's great fun and I love taking her :P:lol:

Glasto website has loads of really useful information on taking kids Here (hopefully) There is loads for them to do - check-out the Kidz field here and the kids part of the Green Fields area

My son first went at 3 mths. He's now 7 and my daughter will be 4 next week. They have been every year since birth. They both adore music and love being down at the front of the pyramid as much as being in the Kids field and circus big top. At Glastonbury alone my children have seen REM, String Cheese incident, John Fogerty, CSN, N Young, Springsteen and a thousand other acts, many of whom you don't usually get this side of the pond.

WHY... would you think to not bring your children.

I have been to GB since 86 (only missed 2 years) and never thought for one moment not to take any future children. You OWE this opportunity to your children. I have been lucky enough to have stood in that hallowed field at Woodstock. The only problem was I was about 35 when i did it. how much sweeter to have done that when I was 2 in 1969!

You know it's the right thing to do. Our children are the future of rock.

(Not, I hasten to add, pop... which we all know is manufactured garbage.)

(Oh, and Mr Eavis - PLEASE get S and G, Kate Bush and Cat Stevens on main stage... and a reformed Sleater Kinney!)

Got three kids but I've only ever taken the eldest to Leeds fest for one of the days about 10 years

ago, when he was about a year old.

Mrs Craigston doesn't think she'd be able to handle the toilets at Glasto so she has never been. As a result it's become a lads event with her at home trying in vain to see me on the telly!

I've given an open invitation to the kids but so far they've not taken me up on it. Whilst I know that when they do decide to go they'll restrict my 'manoevres', I'm sure I'll have a great (possibly even better) time showing em round.

Looking forward.

Kids are great! :P

Edited by Craigston

As it's our 10 year wedding anniversary we're leaving the 2 boys with their grandparents this year.

Number 1 son is 7 and has enjoyed 3 glastos so far.

Number 2 son is 2 and was there last year.

I'm looking forward to a responsibility free few days but it's going to be kinda odd not having the boys about.

My cousin my self took our 4 year old daughters last year. It was an amazing Glasto, we couldn't complain much about the weather and that surly made it easier for us all. The kids had a time of their life, they were awed by every thing around them. The kids field was perfect to get them exhausted. A good poncho then made the trick as we laid it down and they could have a nap. We did stay a little further back to keep them away from the crowed and the excessive sound which was fine for me too.

Some suggestions, get them used to use a she pee (if they are girls) because using the long drops might be a bit to hazards for them. Get them a pair of boots from beforehand ( it took us ages to find a couple last year for their size) If you don't want to be cary them around its best to get a buggy with big wheels. What we also did last year was to book in an campsite outside the area. It had much more space for the kids, with clean toilets and hot showers, and with more family friendly surroundings.

This year sadly the little ones will remain at home and this was taken very well by them. The had been mentioning the festival all year round and when they got to know that I was going and they were remaining at home there were a couple of tears running down their face.