Reading Festival 2011

Guest Hart Attack

I can see Manchester Orchestra developing into headline material within the next few years. I think the strength of their two albums is better than a lot of stuff out there, and they are hair standing up on the back of your neck brilliant Live.

As much as I don't like to say it Pendulum are another that will probably get to that stage even though they probably shouldn't, and I'm a fan. I know they have quite a big following already, and probably don't fit with the from out of nowhere theme.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see Manchester Orchestra developing into headline material within the next few years. I think the strength of their two albums is better than a lot of stuff out there, and they are hair standing up on the back of your neck brilliant Live.

In the next 6 or 7 years, I can see...

Bullet for my Valentine

Gaslight Anthem

Biffy Clyro (!)

Vampire Weekend

Paramore (definitely after next album, after that they'll start freefalling in popularity).

...headlining festivals, and all of them except Paramore maintaining their popularity for a long time. It's a bit risky actually saying this, but I reckon Gaslight will be bigger than The Clash, as far as punk bands go, one day.

I like manchester orchestra but I think this is maybe a case of letting your personal preference of a band influence your thinking. They are good (not great) live and have 2 decent albums however these factors are below things like image, record label and media support in determining how big a band becomes. The british media have completely ignored this band and cant see them suddenly jumping on board. I would be amazed if they headlined the radio 1 tent never mind the main stage.

Ah, to be fair I was just making assumptions with Kings of Leon, genuinely couldn't think what hype was like for them. Ah well.

As far as them being on the same level as All Time Low/Billy Talent, I'd take festival positioning with a pinch of salt, especially what with Paramore being above Weezer, or Limp Bizkit being on the same slot as the Maccabees.

I think you're overrating MO slightly, their second album was really hit and miss and gets really boring after the first few listens. The first album had a lot more substance and character, the second just seemed like a stream of really average rock songs you could hear from any band.

Biffy Clyro is a good shout though.

I think you're overrating MO slightly, their second album was really hit and miss and gets really boring after the first few listens. The first album had a lot more substance and character, the second just seemed like a stream of really average rock songs you could hear from any band.

Biffy Clyro is a good shout though.

I think its very hard to predict, by definition, which random band will come out of the blue and headline but it is intriguing to speculate.

I am a big fan of manchester orchestra but without an album released without alot of media hype I fear they will never be a headliner. I agree with their live shows being good, when I saw them I think technically they weren't that good, but from an emotional front man point of view I think andy hull is awesome.

I don't see anything special, I mean, its a catchy song but doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Not saying that bands need to be revolutionary, but I don't see why they would headline.. it would have to be a complete KoL moment really - break into the charts with a very catchy song.

Now if this was 3 years ago, and you said "arcade fire are the biggest up and coming band, and will headline L/R in a couple of years" and posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V41qkhU-98, i would have believed you :P