Reading Festival 2011

Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel worse looking at the Saturday headliner.

Also, whoever is predicting AC/DC, there is zero chance of them playing Reading/Leeds. It will never happen. They don't play festivals, there are special circumstances with Download this year that I'm not allowed to post in a public forum, but look at the line-up an it should be pretty obvious what's going on.

I could probally say the same about your music taste, except I respect other people's music taste. Just because you think the music is crap, doesnt mean everyone does, and the X factor does pull in the numbers to thier target audience. Just like all 6 of those bands would pull in the target audiance for Reading festival.

Even if there weren't special circumstances, which from other sources I gather there actually are, look at any of their tours over the last few years, how many festivals do you see?

It's also easy to see AC/DC have a history with Donnington, even at a glance

Anyone expecting them at R+L will be majorly disappointed

Well, for starters, you couldn't because without the music I generally listen to, the bands you listed there wouldn't exist - and if they did, they'd probably sound a hell of a lot different. What you're left with, then, is the difficult situation of insulting the bands YOUR favourite bands listened to, and there's no logic in that. That's not me placing my taste in music above yours or anybody elses, I'm just stating to you the facts.

Second of all, just because I think their music is shit doesn't mean I'm going to stop people from listening to them. If somebody likes a band, if somebody likes a kind of music that speaks to them as an individual or an audience, who am I to convince them otherwise? It's not my place to. What it boils down to is subjective opinion. What you think is shit, I might not, and vice versa.

Third, my point was - just because a band could draw an audience of 80,000 people doesn't mean they're any good or of any worth. It just means they speak to those 80,000 people who turned up to see them. They don't speak to me and in my world that's what's important, just as what's important in your world is how the bands speak to you.

The special circumstances are hardly a secret. Download paid them something like £4 million and are ending all the other stages early so they're the only band playing at the time. The plan is to make some sort of AC/DC Donington DVD with their performance from 91 as well as this years, which will undoubtedly make them millions more. They're also bringing their own tour stage and have had a hand in choosing the other mainstage bands for the Friday, which is why there's on 3 of them and one of them is Wolfmother. Oh and apparently these bands wont be allowed to soundcheck either since AC/DC are going to take up the entire Thursday.

The special circumstances are hardly a secret. Download paid them something like £4 million and are ending all the other stages early so they're the only band playing at the time. The plan is to make some sort of AC/DC Donington DVD with their performance from 91 as well as this years, which will undoubtedly make them millions more. They're also bringing their own tour stage and have had a hand in choosing the other mainstage bands for the Friday, which is why there's on 3 of them and one of them is Wolfmother. Oh and apparently these bands wont be allowed to soundcheck either since AC/DC are going to take up the entire Thursday.

Ska, I understand where you're coming from. You're thinking from a businessman's perspective.

To be fair, with any major festival, I don't think it would make much difference what bands they book. What it all boils down to is how much risk they're willing to take.

People will buy the festival tickets no matter what; Festival Republic just don't like to admit this because it makes them look complacent. Granted people will buy tickets no matter what, they can afford to put on whoever the hell they want. Their safety net comes in the form of bands like Kings of Leon - you know, bands who get 20,000,000+ hits on YouTube. Mainstream bands.

Tell you what, I'll post a revised line-up I made a few weeks back:

Friday

–MAIN STAGE–

Headliner - Killing Joke (w/ special guest Dave Grohl)

Ministry

Paul Westerberg or a reformed Replacements

Swans

Serena Maneesh

The Invisible

Dr. Dog

The Radio Dept.

–NME RADIO ONE STAGE–

Suicide

Mogwai

Pantha Du Prince

Akufen

Einsturzende Neubauten

DJ Shadow

Saturday

–MAIN STAGE–

Headliner - Nine Inch Nails

Iggy Pop

Butthole Surfers

Pavement

Underworld

Mirrors

Gentle Friendly

Shearwater

Xiu Xiu

–NME RADIO ONE STAGE–

Orbital

M83

Zeke

NEU!

The Jesus Lizard

Four Tet

Sunday

–MAIN STAGE–

Headliners - Sonic Youth

PJ Harvey

My Bloody Valentine

Helmet

The Jesus and Mary Chain

Dinosaur Jr

Vampire Weekend

Beach House

The School

–NME RADIO ONE STAGE–

Mercury Rev

Earth

Yanni (not really... I'm just putting him here to test if you've read this far without getting bored)

Lightspeed Champion

David Thomas Broughton

Rob Swift

Guided By Voices

Edited by ShockTK v4.0

my lineup was a prediction, not a dream lineup. although kasabian, muse and the Foo's make a shit line-up? i could argue otherwise. All three of those are insane. Green day may have lost it a bit with the last 2-3 albums but id still like to see them.

But each to their own.

nine inch nails would be insane. Id love to see them play reading, the atmosphere would be hectic.

Ska, I understand where you're coming from. You're thinking from a businessman's perspective.

To be fair, with any major festival, I don't think it would make much difference what bands they book. What it all boils down to is how much risk they're willing to take.

People will buy the festival tickets no matter what; Festival Republic just don't like to admit this because it makes them look complacent. Granted people will buy tickets no matter what, they can afford to put on whoever the hell they want. Their safety net comes in the form of bands like Kings of Leon - you know, bands who get 20,000,000+ hits on YouTube. Mainstream bands.

My powers of clairvoyance aren't exactly top notch but, I reckon, if Festival Republic put on that list of bands (along with a varied assortment of other bands on smaller stages from a lot of different genres), they would salvage some integrity AND they'd still attract a massive audience. You mark my words, if that line-up appeared in 2011 (it won't) then it'd be a f**king good year for the Leeds and Reading Festivals.

It all boils down to the element of risk, and if Festival Republic took that giant leap and gambled, I think they would be rewarded.

My powers of clairvoyance aren't exactly top notch but, I reckon, if Festival Republic put on that list of bands (along with a varied assortment of other bands on smaller stages from a lot of different genres), they would salvage some integrity AND they'd still attract a massive audience. You mark my words, if that line-up appeared in 2011 (it won't) then it'd be a f**king good year for the Leeds and Reading Festivals.

It all boils down to the element of risk, and if Festival Republic took that giant leap and gambled, I think they would be rewarded.

there's a shared agreement that your totally annoying, whether or not thats true is down to personal opinion, but in your argument you claim its subjective if a lot of people share the same opinion?

Edited by Matticus