Virus?

Guest NeilVJ

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got nailed by this via a different site a few weeks ago, and it took me ages to get it sorted. It turned out that it got through via running an out of date version of Java so I'd recommend anyone that is having problems make sure they get that updated first. I ended up using the friendly geeks on www.bleepingcomputer.com to get it fixed.

this morning my copy of win 7 went tits up and i didn't put 2 and 2 together and link it to the problems on this site , will have to fix it tonight , lucky enough i have a win xp hdd set up that i use as well with APB installed .

I have removed Acrobat Reader and am no longer getting the 3D Data parsing message as shown in mikeb's post above.

Feel somewhat happier now! Thanks mikeb! :P

Edited by karlpowell

I got nailed by this via a different site a few weeks ago, and it took me ages to get it sorted. It turned out that it got through via running an out of date version of Java so I'd recommend anyone that is having problems make sure they get that updated first. I ended up using the friendly geeks on www.bleepingcomputer.com to get it fixed.

Anyone else experiencing problems with Internet browsers because of this? I can't use Internet Explorer at all and can only load efests on Firefox. Norton has detected it and removed it but I still can't get it too work.

When I click diagnose problem it says something about proxy settings. I'm too stupid to know what this means and my old friend google won't load to help me with it. Any help?

I'm getting the 3d error when I go to efests.. But that seems to be the only problem..

AVG9 found no errors and Spybot found a few niggles but nothing much..

Guess I am lucky..

Mind you I'v not turned Noddles laptop yet.. :P

Been on the phone to Dell and they are going to send me a new hard drive for free as this one is dead.Luckily I backed up all my files on my external hard drive.Right going to put my feet up and watch some DVDs and enjoy the rest of the bank holiday

I have had this twice and managed to get it cleaned off, and am pretty happy its clean now, it can be done and is less hassle than a re-install (although a reinstall is sometimes a good thing anyway).

In terms of helping others:

Its a clever virus in that once its on you PC it stops everything you may use to get rid of it. Starting your computer in safe mode usually gets around this. As does Rkill as someone posted above.

As mentioned already, Malwarebytes AntiMalware gets rid of it. But to stop it coming back you really want to empty your recycle bin, clear all browser history, disable system restore , reset and then re-run the Malwarebytes scan againCcleaner is quite good for having a clear out of the crap on your machine.

To then make double sure youve got it clean update your antivirus and do a full scan with that.

If youve not got one, AVG antivirus is free and not bad.

And there are a couple of good online scanners Panda Antivirus and Trend Micro Housecall will let you know if its all clear.

Then to make sure it doesnt come back. Update adobe acrobat reader (perhaps more than once, to ensure youve got the latest version 9.3.2 for me). Updating your operating system and browsers is probably a good idea too if youve not done that in a while.

And theres always the option to be extra safe, of disabling Ads, as someone posted above. Efests might not like that, but i dont think they can really complain at the mo!

If youre having problems with your proxy settings, i'd say its on your machine. The virus changes the proxy settings of most browsers, it did it to chrome / opera / IE on my machine, but it didnt change firefox, for some reason. If youre getting messages like that, i'd reccomend running the scans as above and trying to make sure you dont get the messages. Once your done you have to manually remove the proxy settings from your broswers that the virus has put in ( internet settings>connections>lan settings>and make sure automatically detect settings is ticked, and nothing else)

In terms of an apology from Efests / Neil, well im sure its no more Efests fault than it is when it is the pilots fault that a terrorist decides to hijack it that particular plane. Having said that, I imagine Efests are looking for some sort of apology / compensation from the people who provide their ads as it seems its them to blame, so it would be nice if that apology could at least pass down the chain to us guys. Seems to have f*cked up a fair few peoples sundays, myself included. :P

Edited by JimOfTheJungle

Anyone else experiencing problems with Internet browsers because of this? I can't use Internet Explorer at all and can only load efests on Firefox. Norton has detected it and removed it but I still can't get it too work.

When I click diagnose problem it says something about proxy settings. I'm too stupid to know what this means and my old friend google won't load to help me with it. Any help?

It turns on your proxy settings I think. If you can't surf the web, you'll need to go in to your settings and turn them off. Malware Bytes is a free programme that detects and removes the spyware.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

It may need to be run under another account or in safe mode if your profile has been completely screwed over.

Edited by Cosmic*Love*Vibrations*666

I was told by my partner some box or other !!!!! popped up when she looked on efest yesterday ??? can't understand what she was doing on efest as she does not do Glasto at all, anyway nothing has happened to the pc since then and i have been al over the efest site, only virus software i use is latest AVG free, which is totally up to date. Tried it on the old laptop as well, with no problems, same avg on that as well

Even the very best AV cannot guarantee 100% protection of course - someone generally has to be infected by something new before any update to include new stuff is likely to appear. You just have to hope that you're not one of the first to find it :P
Edited by jamiejc