Virus?

Guest NeilVJ

Was also getting something trying to launch with adobe that shouldnt too.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an AVG warning yesterday, but know that AVG can get a little trigger happy sometimes so ignored it. I've now put on "Site Advisor" by Mcafee for google chrome and its perfectly happy with efests.

the plot thickens....

It stuffed my work computer up yesterday. I'm not telling them it was me that put it there (although really it wasn't actually me).

It put something in called Antivirus Soft. Can't get rid of it as don't have right passwords to install Maleware Bytes or similar, boys who look after this sort of stuff not around until Tuesday of course. Ooops.

As posted elsewhere a bit earlier following on from weirdo issues last night:

It looks very much to me like an Ad or Ad House/Server has been compromised and is trying to exploit a weakness in later versions of Adobe Acrobat in order to bring in something highly unpleasant :lol: Getting an error (a genuine AV or Acrobat error) is a 'good' thing I would suggest but seeing something unexpected running and demanding your attention is almost certainly NOT a good thing at all I'm afraid. It most certainly was trying to open Acrobat and run something dodgy last night it would seem but, fortunately for me, it failed dismally to do so for one reason or another - possibly because apart from AV running I have as much of anything Adobe manually disabled as I can get away with !

Whatever it is, it somehow seems to be managing to get around the obvious simple solution of disabling Adobe browser integration unfortunately but even when it can't run in a browser plug-in, it will then attempt to run in any Acrobat Reader(s) etc. you might have available in any case thanks to good old Billy Gates of course :P

As a quick fix, I've temporarily moved/hidden ALL Adobe stuff in "Program Files" as well as disabling the default Adobe plug-in in Firefox and that appears to have stopped it from being able to try doing anything much at all :lol: Hopefully anyway :P What I do know is that anyone or anything wanting me to use Adobe cr@pware for any reason whatsoever can fcuk right off until further notice :lol:

Fcucking Adobe ... I bl**dy hate the b*ggers with a vengeance on a good day but even more so than usual today :P

As for where it's coming from, today it seems to be DLing from def.ignorelist.com as opposed to the previously mentioned dodgy looking source. I was about to add that to Mr.Firewall but not sure I can be @rsed with b*ggering about as it'll probably be grabbing it's cr@p from elsewhere in due course I suspect.

Posting from my iPhone as my laptop won't work now.Have tried everything posted on here with no success.spybot destroyed 4 files in safeboot but my laptop won't work properly as the software I use either won't open or crash after it is open.Looks like I may have to re-install windows now

What version of windows are people running?

Windows 7 x64: Opening page gives an Adobe reader error, then tries to open a document. After closing there is an adobe 3d process running still, I've killed it to feel safe. AVG has given no warnings and I've run a full scan to be sure.

I got hit by this too. Have spend the day rebuilding my PC as I thought it was my PC up the spout to start with.

The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is useful for getting rid of it.

Also, open Adobe Reader / Edit / Preferences / Javascript - uncheck the box next to "Enable Acrobat Javascript". This should stop reinfection by preventing Acrobat from running the dodgy javascript code.

Some more info here:

http://badwarebusters.org/main/itemview/15546

As posted elsewhere a bit earlier following on from weirdo issues last night:

It looks very much to me like an Ad or Ad House/Server has been compromised and is trying to exploit a weakness in later versions of Adobe Acrobat in order to bring in something highly unpleasant :lol: Getting an error (a genuine AV or Acrobat error) is a 'good' thing I would suggest but seeing something unexpected running and demanding your attention is almost certainly NOT a good thing at all I'm afraid. It most certainly was trying to open Acrobat and run something dodgy last night it would seem but, fortunately for me, it failed dismally to do so for one reason or another - possibly because apart from AV running I have as much of anything Adobe manually disabled as I can get away with !

Whatever it is, it somehow seems to be managing to get around the obvious simple solution of disabling Adobe browser integration unfortunately but even when it can't run in a browser plug-in, it will then attempt to run in any Acrobat Reader(s) etc. you might have available in any case thanks to good old Billy Gates of course :P

As a quick fix, I've temporarily moved/hidden ALL Adobe stuff in "Program Files" as well as disabling the default Adobe plug-in in Firefox and that appears to have stopped it from being able to try doing anything much at all :lol: Hopefully anyway :P What I do know is that anyone or anything wanting me to use Adobe cr@pware for any reason whatsoever can fcuk right off until further notice :lol:

Fcucking Adobe ... I bl**dy hate the b*ggers with a vengeance on a good day but even more so than usual today :P

As for where it's coming from, today it seems to be DLing from def.ignorelist.com as opposed to the previously mentioned dodgy looking source. I was about to add that to Mr.Firewall but not sure I can be @rsed with b*ggering about as it'll probably be grabbing it's cr@p from elsewhere in due course I suspect.

I,ve noticed that over the lasr few days my anti-virus has kicked out a nasty every time I,ve gone onto Efestivals......not an issue as long as you have up to date software....but annoying. :P

My AVG free virus software seems to have removed it but I am certain it is coming from this page. I am guessing it is coming from one or more of the affiliate marketing adverts.

DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THE SPOOF POPUPS WARNING YOU AND SUGGESTING YOU BUY AV

That is what this trojan does. Instead, go to a reconised AV Vendor of your choice, download the latest version and all updates, close all apps, disconnect from the internet (turn of your router/modem if needed) and clean the system.

Cross your fingers, do a dance to the great PC gods and hope for the best.

I got hit by this too. Have spend the day rebuilding my PC as I thought it was my PC up the spout to start with.

The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is useful for getting rid of it.

Also, open Adobe Reader / Edit / Preferences / Javascript - uncheck the box next to "Enable Acrobat Javascript". This should stop reinfection by preventing Acrobat from running the dodgy javascript code.

Some more info here:

http://badwarebusters.org/main/itemview/15546

I am Windows 7 x 32 with Norton Internet Security. Apart from the 3d error (which I beleive has something to do with Java) when I first open efestivals I am running fine. I gave done a full system scan and all is well.

Would you experts recommend I uncheck the box next to "Enable Acrobat Javascript'' or should I be okay?

Thanks! :P

Got me twice now! So using my phone to post. Cleaned both times as above but seems like its still causing problems from this site as the computer was fine inbetween till i came back on here a couple of hours ago. I'm steering clear for now. [win7 64, firefox/chrome both used, and i've got avg free which didn't seem to spot it]

My AVG picked up a virus yesterday, and one the day before and dealt with them fine. I'm going to assume it was from this site, because I havn't been anywhere particularly dodgy over the last few days :P Going to ride my luck for a while though! And if I get another warning, then check it out properly...

I got the Antispyware Soft virus yesterday. It finally persuaded me to get some type of internet security/anti-spyware stuff for the first time in about a year (i blame my relative poverty on not getting it before), so it's not all bad i guess.

I got rid of it by opening vista in safe mode, downloading and installing some anti-spyware software, then restarting my computer in normal mode and getting the software to sort it out. it's all gone now, hooray!

edit: my new anti-spyware stuff just told me i had it again so it's still on here.

Edited by barkley87

I also got hit by this.

im not a happy bunny, avast didnt pick it up.

managed to get microsft security essentials install which killed the process.

i have since installed and ran a full scan using malwarebytes. which found it and deleted it.

HOWEVER as i am typing this it has just come back.

so i dont think i will be coming back on this site for quite some time.

looks like a reinstall is the only way forward.

which is a right pain.

goodluck.

mark