2011 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing big gigs in England usually rules bands out of playing the festival so i'd say those two are 99% sure not to play. R+L seem to seek 2 English Exclusives for the summer and 1 UK Exclusive. Last Year GnR were UK exclusive at the time of announcing (I think?) and the other two were English exclusives.

Now I think about I'd say Green Day must be in line to fill one of those positions this year? They've toured the album in the UK so a One off R+L paycheque would be nice for them but they could also do T and become an English Exclusive.

Rethinking it and based on what limited substantial rumours there has been id say the following is reasonably plausable:

Muse/RHCP

Strokes/Kasabian

Green Day

Personally I think those first 3 are most likely and would go down quite well appealing to enough different audiences whilst being umbrella bands that most people would be quite happy to see. Then if you draft in MCR, perhaps Soundgarden? Franz Ferdinand, Offspring, Funeral for a Friend, Elbow?, Interpol, Deftones maybe returning and Jamie T all being possible we could end up with quite a strong undercard again.

Muse

Soundgarden

Interpol

Funeral for a Friend

Subways

Strokes

Franz Ferdinand

Elbow

Jamie T

Feeder

Green Day

My Chemical Romance

Offspring

Deftones

Mastodon

I'm sure everyone will be deighted for me to bring this back to soundgarden, so here goes :D

Saw something on the cover of metal hammer (I didn't buy it, I'm hoping someone who reads this will have done) but it said something like 'Soundgarden: Download or Sonisphere?'

They're ruling our R+L then?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Kaisers are a possibility. I just think after the reasonably left field booking that was arcade fire last year that they're a group that could fall into the headliner category.

Correct.

Too many w*nkers attend both festivals now. w*nkers would rather see a band like Pendulum headline over a quality, and in my eyes, archetypal Reading/Leeds band like Soundgarden.

They would draw in the critical few who appreciate fine music but unfortunately, since most music festivals are for fans of popular culture, actual fans of music fall into the minority so risky bands like Soundgarden get made less paramount to the flow of things - hence one of the reasons why a band like Arcade Fire caused such a stir this year. It was a bit leftfield and a bit risky; and I don't know how many people were watching the other tent's headliners when they were on but I can firmly say that having them play as a headliner on the mainstage was a worthy gamble that ultimately paid off.

As much as I agree in a lot of ways, I don't think its fair to equate people with a different music taste to you with being w*nkers. Pendulum are hardly an x-factor entrant that's had their success manufactured, they're successful because people enjoy listening to them. That doesn't make them w*nkers.

I wasn't making a generalisation and saying all fans of Pendulum are w*nkers - people can listen to what they want - but when they appeared on the NME stage at least it gave the w*nkers in attendance a place to go when Bad Religion, Ash and Arcade Fire were on.