Heavy band on the last day?

Guest ryyder

From my experiences the rioting was pretty extreme when I last went, all the pylons being dragged down and so on, not dangerous, just crazy- and that was after The Killers headlining, thoughts on what it's going to be like with G n R, especially if they're late on and cock around the audience?

Last year was really quiet, no gas can explosions coz of the ban. Hardly any fires and no poles pulled down, we were in the yellow. We couldn't believe how quiet it was, I've never seen it that quiet and this will be our 7th or 8th year.

I was in yellow last year and there were still a fair few canisters getting thrown on. The guys camping right next to us had a fire going and my tent ended up catching fire. There was also a pretty wild fire in blue, people running round it, jumping through it as canister exploded, etc. People kept going for the poles as well and although they didn't actually get any down, they were no longer in the upright position.

I recon we can count on seeing some more of this crazy behaviour in 2010, its leeds fest standard really...

Downloaad is 90% heavy music all weekend, and there has been trouble once. Leeds is mainly (with the odd year an exception) more mainstream/indie rock with a spattering of heavy acts, and theres trouble every year.

Tell me again where you got your idea from?

Pitched in yellow 09 - was absolutely tame

Pitched on orange hill 08 - absolutely shit my pants, was crazy

You can't really predict these things, but I'll be in yellow again for sure.

My theory is that people with EE generally pitch in yellow bubble, and a lot of these are the festival goers that come year in year out and tend not to start the "riots". Bit of a statement I know but although i'll probably get beat down for saying that: a lot of the trouble makers are people with GCSE results that turn up at 3pm Thursday and pitch in red/blue/orange - I do think there's some truth in it.

Edited by soundrevolution

Pitched in yellow 09 - was absolutely tame

Pitched on orange hill 08 - absolutely shit my pants, was crazy

You can't really predict these things, but I'll be in yellow again for sure.

My theory is that people with EE generally pitch in yellow bubble, and a lot of these are the festival goers that come year in year out and tend not to start the "riots". Bit of a statement I know but although i'll probably get beat down for saying that: a lot of the trouble makers are people with GCSE results that turn up at 3pm Thursday and pitch in red/blue/orange - I do think there's some truth in it.

Downloaad is 90% heavy music all weekend, and there has been trouble once. Leeds is mainly (with the odd year an exception) more mainstream/indie rock with a spattering of heavy acts, and theres trouble every year.

Tell me again where you got your idea from?

I was fearing the worst on the Sunday night last year (my first fest) but it wasn't really bad at all. We were in yellow, saw one fire start nearby, heard one gas canister go off. Then the wardens came to put it out, and that was it really. I'm going there again, and with the clamp down on fires, I'll be a bit more relaxed this time around.

The same reason why they take drugs and drink copious amount of alcohol - because they feel they can.

I was talking to somebody ages ago on some obscure website about Woodstock (they'd been to the original, apparently) and they asked why Woodstock '69 was so much different to Woodstock '99 - like, why was there so much peace and love at the former and yet so much violence and aggression at the latter?

It's really quite simple - festivals just aren't what they used to be. That's not to say they're bad (I wouldn't have £409 getting two earlybird/weekend tickets otherwise), they just seem to attract a lot of bad people. Combine the already existing w*nker attitudes of these people with line-ups that may or may not be good, overpriced food and drinks, alcohol, sometimes drugs... you know, it's not exactly a formula for good vibrations, is it?

What surprises me is just how much trouble these festivals DON'T have considering all the things I mentioned. It's a testament to the organisers who try their best to make it enjoyable for everybody.