Comebacks and over rated bands

Guest Andy0808

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have another 153 days of this don't we?

The festival will sell out. FR have done an amazing job on getting GnR and The Libertines, no doubt about it, specially after all of The Libertines will they won't they get back together thing.

GnR aren't the original line up, but they are one of the greatest names in Rock, and everyone should at least know one song by them.

Blink are a festival band. They have some good sing along songs. I'm not a fan of them. I think Tom Delong's vocals are just too whiny. But, with rumours of QOTSA on at the same time.

Arcade Fire have been off my radar for the past couple of years, and if they played locally, I wouldn't see them, but if nothing else that I like is happening, I'll probably head over there for a bit, with a bottle of cider and slowly drink on what should be a nice summer evening.

Other than that, some of the bands suggested for the undercard this year look amazing. I don't like Paramore, but I'm sure they would put on a damn good show, Weezer are just great.

Limp Bizkit could pull off the set of the festival, well the most enjoyable one for me at least. Im really looking forward to MCR's new album, and I think they will be perfectly worthy of a second spot.

Anyone with half a brain ( and isnt blinded by the fact that radiohead headlined) will tell you that last years line up was tripe.

Saying that Faith No More played, but the mainstage line up was pure toilet.

I think the OP will be really impressed with how successful his blatant 'me, me, look at me, everyone pay me attention waaaaaaa' attempt has gone.

Can't understand the complaining about the headliners, especially AF. Sometimes bands are ready to make the step up to headlining and it needs a festival to take a gamble on them. Sometimes it works and said band becomes an established headliner (Glasto booking Coldplay in '02 or KOL in '08), and sometimes it doesn't (R/L going for Franz and Razorlight). But if these bands don't get a shot they never become headliners and we just get the same old bands rotating around the festivals. I think AF will step up and it's a chance for GNR to get some credibility back. Should be interesting.

So do people on here actually enjoy R/L?

By the sounds of it its just moaning

I didnt like the line-up but already had a ticket so i went

saw some bands i didnt know, had an amazing time

got home and bought this years ticket :P

Honestly these rumours sound really bad to me

but hey, surprisingly good sets are often the best

Along with alot of people in this thread, Arcade Fire are my favourite band and Funeral is my number one album. Yea, they aren't well known because they avoid music videos and press, but that doesn't mean they aren't massive worldwide, and regarded as one of the best bands in the world. FR clearly struggled a bit with headliners this year, but I would much rather be standing watching an outstanding band play their instruments beautifully for an hour and half then be sitting in my campsite while Muse, Linkin Park, White Stripes or Green Day headlined

Lemme guess you know everything, your in a band, you dont care about anyones opinion on music other than your own, and your tight with NME editors?

shutup, i hate people that come out with 'you know nothing about music'. might as well just comment im an arrogant mug so watch me while i try and ridicule someone by making them think they are stupid

I totally agree, regardless to how 'good' arcade fire are live, they just don't have a big enough fan base to headline a MAINSTAGE at Reading.

They certainly had a big enough fan base to play second from top on a MAINSTAGE at Reading just three years ago.

Given that three years have passed and that time has allowed many more people to become familiar with them than were three years ago, perhaps it's merely you thinking that because you haven't heard of them they must be crap?

I suggest the poor view is yours, and not that of a festival organisation which is extremely successful at running festivals, when probably all you run is for the bus.

Edited by eFestivals

When did AF release the Funeral?

I thought it was before 07 when they sub-headlined

and everyone seemed to be basing their headline status on that album and their live shows

which questions why they werent big enough in 07 and whats changed?

btw i am an arcade fire fan but the majority of people i know haven't heard of them and i do think headliners should have crossover appeal, even if that does include GnR who are far worse in comparison

Edited by Dan R

They certainly had a big enough fan base to play second from top on a MAINSTAGE at Reading just three years ago.

Given that three years have passed and that time has allowed many more people to become familiar with them than were three years ago, perhaps it's merely you thinking that because you haven't heard of them they must be crap?

Bands always slip off the radar when they are inbetween albums. Theres nothing to publicize. I know not many on here will agree with me as it is a very pop punk friendly forum. However in my opinion if arcade fire and blink 182 released albums on monday arcade fire would sell more. WIth guitar music not selling as well as previously the festivall organisers have to take some risks on artists without headlining pedigree, but what do people want the same 10 bands rotating every few years. Arcade fire are no more/less a risk than blink 182.

Metallica take like five year gaps between albums, but have they gotten any less popular? nope, they've gotten bigger and bigger

just because a band hasn't done anything for a while doesn't mean people have stopped caring. quite the opposit really, as people will be more and more anxious to hear what they release next

i don't know how big AF's new album will be - i personally think that it won't do as Neon Bible (as that was riding off the success of Funeral, a masterpiece, whereas the new album will be riding off the back of Neon Bible, not quite a masterpiece) but hell, i could be wrong

either way, if people were fans of the band then, they will still be fans of the band now (plus tons of other people who will've discovered them when they appeard on like EVERY best of the decade list)

if f*cking Razorlight could headline in 07 because they released one hit single (America) then Arcade Fire can definitely headline off the back of the absolute masses of acclaim that is constantly poured on them and their astouding live shows

Metallica take like five year gaps between albums, but have they gotten any less popular? nope, they've gotten bigger and bigger

just because a band hasn't done anything for a while doesn't mean people have stopped caring. quite the opposit really, as people will be more and more anxious to hear what they release next

i don't know how big AF's new album will be - i personally think that it won't do as Neon Bible (as that was riding off the success of Funeral, a masterpiece, whereas the new album will be riding off the back of Neon Bible, not quite a masterpiece) but hell, i could be wrong

either way, if people were fans of the band then, they will still be fans of the band now (plus tons of other people who will've discovered them when they appeard on like EVERY best of the decade list)

if f*cking Razorlight could headline in 07 because they released one hit single (America) then Arcade Fire can definitely headline off the back of the absolute masses of acclaim that is constantly poured on them and their astouding live shows

Rage bigger than GnR?????? I would say its the other way round and not even close. GnR are ahead in british record sales, worldwide record sales, number of well known singles, amount of singles sold. The only ways in which rage are bigger is a uk number 1 single and the amount of letters in their name. This is coming from someone who prefers rage as well.