Cycling to Glasto

Guest losmuslosquebombeo

WoW ! I'm seriously impressed :P Defo check out the sustrans website for loads of general info and maps etc. PLUS I have a sneaky suspicion that they may be organising something this year from Bristol to the site. I've absolutely no idea where I've seen that mentioned but I'm sure I read something about an organised bike ride including assistance with gear etc somewhere over the last few months. Good luck mind you - will no doubt be great getting there but I'm bl**dy certain that I wouldn't be fancying the ride home afterwards tho :P

Some peeps have done it from London before I think but I'm not sure if they're still around or not and I can't remember who it was anyway ! Hopefully they'll see this and give you all the gory details :P

Edited by mikeb

Mapmyride - http://www.mapmyride.com/ - Will map the route for you, avoiding motorways and provide you with directions. They want you to pay for it, but it is available for free if you ignore the adverts. It also tells you elevation as well. The A37 from Bristol towards Glastonbury has some nasty long hills to climb! Good luck

WoW ! I'm seriously impressed :P Defo check out the sustrans website for loads of general info and maps etc. PLUS I have a sneaky suspicion that they may be organising something this year from Bristol to the site. I've absolutely no idea where I've seen that mentioned but I'm sure I read something about an organised bike ride including assistance with gear etc somewhere over the last few months. Good luck mind you - will no doubt be great getting there but I'm bl**dy certain that I wouldn't be fancying the ride home afterwards tho :P

Some peeps have done it from London before I think but I'm not sure if they're still around or not and I can't remember who it was anyway ! Hopefully they'll see this and give you all the gory details :P

• 1 month later...

This is the website I use for my route planning, the show elevation feature is aceness.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

My plan is two stages, Tuesday after work about 60 miles to either andover or Newbury (depending on my route) then a second 60 miler in the morning looking to arrive about midday. I can easily keep it at near 15 miles an hour for about 8o miles without a load but experiance tells me I may be down to 12 with the tent. I will also miss the midday heat. Rode all the way London to Yeovil for the Sunrise Celebration that was washed out two years ago so have done this kind of thing before. I am also going to invest in clipless pedals.

Just did a quick look and you are looking at about 150-160 miles. That is doable in one day but you would need to be realy well prepped for it. The ride out of Bath is a bitch though, on the same scale as Notts to Melton Mobraw type hills. Without knowing your fitness levels or experiance there is not too much advice I can give on how to break up your ride i.e. one day or over a couple. One thing I can say is on the main A roads watch out for aggragets or large stones in the sides, these are not swept clear by cars so tend to have alot of debris including aggregates.

Get yourself proper trouser for the journey though, normal shorts and underjocks can cause nasty rashes in really long rides, cured by either canisten or athletes foot cream.

Be very aware of your hydration and the air temperature.

Edited by dorlomin

Wicked, nice one for the advice mate. That website looks just the job. Gonna use the route it shows on there, but cross reference it with my cycle map to do as much on the traffic free network as possible.

I'll be doing it over 2 days, so nowt too strenuous. Leaving the sat before glasto and getting to my mates near glasto tor for sunday afternoon. Gives me time for a massage and a rest before getting stuck in to some music and messyness!! I'm working in kilometres myself so about 25kph is steady enough, but also quick enough to get me there without too much fuss. Where are you riding from yourself? Looking forward to the ride and glasto now. I know you shouldn't wish your life away, but time seems to be ticking by quite slowly!!

I'll be the one in the YELLOW jersey at glasto, so keep your eyes peeled for me!

This is the website I use for my route planning, the show elevation feature is aceness.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

My plan is two stages, Tuesday after work about 60 miles to either andover or Newbury (depending on my route) then a second 60 miler in the morning looking to arrive about midday. I can easily keep it at near 15 miles an hour for about 8o miles without a load but experiance tells me I may be down to 12 with the tent. I will also miss the midday heat. Rode all the way London to Yeovil for the Sunrise Celebration that was washed out two years ago so have done this kind of thing before. I am also going to invest in clipless pedals.

Just did a quick look and you are looking at about 150-160 miles. That is doable in one day but you would need to be realy well prepped for it. The ride out of Bath is a bitch though, on the same scale as Notts to Melton Mobraw type hills. Without knowing your fitness levels or experiance there is not too much advice I can give on how to break up your ride i.e. one day or over a couple. One thing I can say is on the main A roads watch out for aggragets or large stones in the sides, these are not swept clear by cars so tend to have alot of debris including aggregates.

Get yourself proper trouser for the journey though, normal shorts and underjocks can cause nasty rashes in really long rides, cured by either canisten or athletes foot cream.

Be very aware of your hydration and the air temperature.

Hello everybody/anybody,

I'm thinking about cycling to glasto from the nottingham/derby area and was wondering if anyone could help me with planning a route. Any tips on any aspect of cycling to glasto would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Great plan.

I'm probably going to ride down but it's nowhere near as strenuous, only from Bristol and all my gear's going in a van apart from a few ciders and a pasty, so not really very hardcore.

I'm also thinking that the bike will be handy if I need to do a top up cider run to Shit-an-Smell-it over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news...de-from-bristol

If you were thinking of cycling to this year's Festival, we're pleased to report that there's a new bike lock-up available, near to the Yellow Gate. Bikes can be left there for the whole weekend, free of charge.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So last year, I arrived via Pedestrian Gate E. I went that way because I have a road bike, and there's no way I can cycle on the tracks once I'm inside the site, so I wanted to get as close as possible on tarmac to my intended camping spot in Dairy. Nobody made a fuss as I went up Stickball Lane on the caravan route, and it was a good way to get in. Once I'd set up, my bike went into the Dairy lock-up for the duration.

I left via the Pennard Hill Gate, but that was not a good idea. The Hill of Death has nothing on that route. Don't try it unless you are a lot fitter than me (most people are).

Did anyone use the new bicycle parking near Pedestrian Gate A? Did it have any advantages over the lock-ups? Will it be there again this year?

• 2 weeks later...

So last year, I arrived via Pedestrian Gate E. I went that way because I have a road bike, and there's no way I can cycle on the tracks once I'm inside the site, so I wanted to get as close as possible on tarmac to my intended camping spot in Dairy. Nobody made a fuss as I went up Stickball Lane on the caravan route, and it was a good way to get in. Once I'd set up, my bike went into the Dairy lock-up for the duration.

I left via the Pennard Hill Gate, but that was not a good idea. The Hill of Death has nothing on that route. Don't try it unless you are a lot fitter than me (most people are).

Did anyone use the new bicycle parking near Pedestrian Gate A? Did it have any advantages over the lock-ups? Will it be there again this year?

This year we are providing a dedicated camp site for those who cycle to the festival. If you live within 20 miles we will collect you luggage and deliver it to site and return it afterwards. There will also be an organised ride from bristol and if you are futher than 20 miles away you are still able to join in by having a friend bring your luggage or bring it your self. There will be other benefits such as solar showers for riders. avoid the queues coming in and going out. Check out the how to get there link on official website. There is also a group called glasto bike rides on facebook to help organise rides and riders. You bike will be accessable ever to ride off site from trips for supplies or to visit the local area. Hope you enjoy this facility.