"One of our headliners is bigger than Jay Z"

Guest DR OK

The thought of green day or eminem makes the festival more appealing. Eminem more so because of his lack of touring and uk appearances

Eminem with sub headliners gorillaz and special guests such as mos def, mike jones, snoop dogg and others that appeared on the new album would be amazing. May be a little too forward thinking for FR, and needs road testing by glastonbury first!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This years build up to the offical announcement as got to be one of the most interesting

No one had a clue up to efest announcing AF and Blink, AF out of blue for headliners and blink could of sub headlined.

Now the possibility of Live Nation opting to take a headliner from one of their other festivals, to make the R/L "stronger". It doesn't sound right but there was a big reaction to the rumoured 3 headliners, most of which negative

On the other hand everyone could just be reading too much into the comments made by Melvin or could have been misquoted

This years build up to the offical announcement as got to be one of the most interesting

No one had a clue up to efest announcing AF and Blink, AF out of blue for headliners and blink could of sub headlined.

Now the possibility of Live Nation opting to take a headliner from one of their other festivals, to make the R/L "stronger". It doesn't sound right but there was a big reaction to the rumoured 3 headliners, most of which negative

On the other hand everyone could just be reading too much into the comments made by Melvin or could have been misquoted

GnR arent bigger than Jay Z though, not these days, i dont believe anyways. still this whole quote is a little bit of a mystery.

As I've said, the basis of a "bigger than..." comment could be loads of different things, many of which wouldn't necessarily be strictly accurate.

While Jay-Z is defo much bigger in today's terms, perhaps GnR have out-sold him with records in the UK?

exactly, its one of those quotes that can literally be taken 1000 different ways, and it's purposefully done like that.

GnR probs have sold more records than Jay in this country, but thats justs a guess on my part.

Maybe not in recent charts but ultimately jay-z - 40 to 50 mil where as GnR - 100 mil

Edit: someone beat me to it

Melvin is very careful in interviews as to what he says in relation to headliners. It could be a careless comment but can't see that happening. Yes it can be taken a 101 ways but in music terms bigger generally means sales and charts

Edited by craigb

Maybe not in recent charts but ultimately jay-z - 40 to 50 mil where as GnR - 100 mil

Edit: someone beat me to it

Melvin is very careful in interviews as to what he says in relation to headliners. It could be a careless comment but can't see that happening. Yes it can be taken a 101 ways but in music terms bigger generally means sales and charts

Yes it can be taken a 101 ways but in music terms bigger generally means sales and charts

Yep - but figures like those can be used in a UK sense, a European sense, or a worldwide sense.

So an act only has to fit one of those to accurately fit with Melvin's words.

Melvin is very careful in interviews as to what he says in relation to headliners.

Melvin is very careful, full stop.

When I've spoken with him, I've got the impression that his brain is working at 1000mph, and what comes out of his mouth as a result is as fully considered from all angles as any comment can ever be. I get the impression that he's a VERY shrewd man.

Edited by eFestivals

Well based on the new rumours of The Libertines and GnR...

GnR are defiantly bigger than Jay-Z, album sales and all that jazz

The Libertines aren't but, for an R+L crowd, I would possibly say they would be "bigger" so to speak, specially with the come back.