"One of our headliners is bigger than Jay Z"

Guest DR OK

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah but then that would totally go against the exclusive thing, unless it's english exclusive and not UK. I'd be more than happy with Eminem, I know most people don't like his new album but I think it's got some good tunes on it. I also believe Dr Dre has a new album coming out soon?
Edited by crazypete86

Are the Beasty Boys playing elsewhere? Apologies, I've not looked for a couple days.

I'd be happy with Eminem too, I like a lot of his songs and I think he'd make some good entertainment. Dr Dre does have a new album out soon as far as I'm aware. Maybe a guest with Eminem?

Going by record sales(he has 50mil), these acts have equal/more(according to wiki), wouldn't look too out of place at R&L and are still together.....

50mil - 74mil

REM

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Pearl Jam

Oasis

Motley Crue

Linkin Park

Kiss

Iron Maiden

Green Day

Def Leppard

Black Sabbath

75mil - 99mil

Van Halen

Eminem

100mil - 199mil

The Who

U2

Metallica

Aerosmith

200mil - 299mil

The Rolling Stones

AC/DC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-...g_music_artists

*may have missed some!

Edited by BenchBuddah

Going by record sales(he has 50mil), these acts have equal/more(according to wiki), wouldn't look too out of place at R&L and are still together.....

50mil - 74mil

REM

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Pearl Jam

Oasis

Motley Crue

Linkin Park

Kiss

Iron Maiden

Green Day

Def Leppard

Black Sabbath

75mil - 99mil

Van Halen

Eminem

100mil - 199mil

The Who

U2

Metallica

Aerosmith

200mil - 299mil

The Rolling Stones

AC/DC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-...g_music_artists

*may have missed some!

If the exclusisivity thing still stand, then we know the ones in bold wont happen.

Metallica played 2 years ago, would be good, but doubt it in such a short time

RHCP are recording a new album, so unless its done pretty quickly, they won't play

The Who would make my life. I thought I would never be able to see them live.

Neil ruled out Eminem as a definate no a while back.

I think realisticly, bigger acts than Jay Z would include (excluding those elsewhere):

Green Day

Foo Fighters

Rolling Stones

REM

Guns N Roses

Linkin Park

The Who

Muse (grumble)

Coldplay (louder grumble)

Led Zeppelin (as if)

Black Sabbath

Ozzy Osbourne (arguably bigger due to celebrity status rather than music)

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Beastie Boys (Cancer scare is over I believe, they are playing shows this summer)

Bon Jovi

Queen and whatshisface

It also depends what context this was said in - ie does he mean globally recognised as a bigger act, or does he mean bigger in terms of the festival going public's perception of things - 50 Cent was a big act, but that meant shit to your average Reading goer.

Edited by Lithium05

While I don't necessarily think it's the case, has anyone considered that Melvin might have been simply spinning things to big up his festival?

After all, he's not ever going to say "we've got piddly headliners this year", is he? :P

There's also all sorts of different measures he could be using as the basis for that statement, which means the act he's referring to doesn't necessarily pan out to be many of the suggestions made in this thread.

If that's what he said word for word, "one of our headliners" that would make efestivals right as in two out of three headliners (blink, arcade fire, MCR) because none of them sold more records or headlined glastonbury. And them saying they not sure about MCR, they could sub or headline tent.

I thought efests already ruled out eminem?

It could only be eminem, beastie boys or dr dre... unless melvin misunderstood the question or the orginal poster as misquoted the question or answer. It could be a number of bands but the question refers to going down a hip hop route or different genre

"Would you ever consider doing what Glastonbury did and have a hip hop headliner like Jay Z?"

I thought efests already ruled out eminem?

I had, but it looks very much as tho blondie's festival plans have changed in the last few weeks. Info I'd had from an excellent source (or which other parts have since been confirmed as true) told me he was to headline the Saturday of Wireless, while it now appears that Saturday Wireless is to have no headliner as such.

It's possible - I'm guessing - that due to the reaction there's been to the names efests revealed that they've moved him across to R/L to strengthen the R/L line-up.

That's all speculation, and might well be wildly wrong.

I had, but it looks very much as tho blondie's festival plans have changed in the last few weeks. Info I'd had from an excellent source (or which other parts have since been confirmed as true) told me he was to headline the Saturday of Wireless, while it now appears that Saturday Wireless is to have no headliner as such.

It's possible - I'm guessing - that due to the reaction there's been to the names efests revealed that they've moved him across to R/L to strengthen the R/L line-up.

I will have a little pray to the festival gods that live nation have done the right thing. Seeing the reaction to the poor headliners and moved eminem to the better festival. It would be such a waste him headlining wireless even though I love wireless

That wouldn't have been why you were allowed to release those names would it? To gauge public response. Not really sure how it works.

I wasn't "allowed" to do anything - the names I have haven't come from official sources. It's possible that they've been fed to me thru channels for the purpose you suggest, tho I think that's probably not the case.

Who knows? Maybe Melvin was talking about Green Day? On at least some basis' they can be said to be bigger than Jay-Z, and there's defo places out there such as the Daily Star who believe they're one of the headliners.

I wasn't "allowed" to do anything - the names I have haven't come from official sources. It's possible that they've been fed to me thru channels for the purpose you suggest, tho I think that's probably not the case.

Who knows? Maybe Melvin was talking about Green Day? On at least some basis' they can be said to be bigger than Jay-Z, and there's defo places out there such as the Daily Star who believe they're one of the headliners.