You got the dirty love

Guest twickershavin

I can imagine how many ignorant f**ks would be there watching Candi Staton and saying to their friends after that she did a Florence and the Machine song.

I've not got a problem with Florence but she killed that song with one foul swipe.

Can I just point out that it ain't Candi's song either? It's origin is a Frankie Knuckles track.

As for Florence .... an admitted rip-off, a poor cover and and one average tune, and then only dross. She might have got the love, but she ain't got the tunes. :P

wikipedia link

Think Frankie Knuckles just used the Candi Staton sample to be honest. Although it wasn't originally her song....

Could be wrong like!

The "Candi Staton song" was actually "The Source feat. Candi Staton".

The Source either sampled or re-created the Frankie Knuckles track (without the little bit of vocals on it), and put Candi's vocals over the top. Candi's vocals weren't a part of the original Knuckles' track.

The original Knuckles track is a house classic from the eighties - itself using samples from other earlier things.

The Source either sampled or re-created the Frankie Knuckles track (without the little bit of vocals on it), and put Candi's vocals over the top. Candi's vocals weren't a part of the original Knuckles' track.

The original Knuckles track is a house classic from the eighties - itself using samples from other earlier things.

Meh, I can take or leave it, there's been worse covers of songs, its by far not Florences best song anyway in either form, and nor dizees. Although I reckon it could most of the crowd going if they were to do it, so whose set would they do it in? Mr Rascals or Ms Walsh's?

Edited by fatyeti24

The definitive version is always going to be the Eren 1991 version with the Frankie Knukles bassline (from 'You Love') at the beginning, for my generation. Sent shivers down the collective spines of a million dance floors when that bass cuts in

It is a shame that so many of the current generation think this is a Florence tune, especially as:-

1. Missing said bassline at the beginning.

2. I've read journos describe her voice as pitch perfect. wtf. Probably is until about 3/4 of the way trough any given line at which point, for some reason, she chooses some other random note to finish on. I find this incredibly annoying. Some people think it gives the voice some edgy appeal, just wrong to me

2. She has changed the song title to be grammatically correct, why would you do that?