Evan Dando...in 1995

Guest tevaburger

I was 'at' this gig. Remember traipsing across the site while heavily stoned (it was the mid-90s) in the blazing heat, only for him not to show up. Rumour was he was doing an impromptu gig on top of an ice cream van.

I sadly missed the evening debacle. He was good on the Pyramid the year before though.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I was there with a friend and we seemed to be two of only a handful of people that we're sticking up for Evan Dando. I always thought he was standing in because Portishead were late. We were packed in and it was extremely hot in the tent. When Portishead did play they all sat on the floor and even though we were very near the front we couldn't see them. At least Evan was stood up and tall!  I think we would of been better off going to see Pulp!

• 3 months later...

I was there. We waited two hours for Portishead. Really small tent. Hot. Lots of people wanted to stay but could not due to the heat. I recall a random biker being told by his girlfriend that it was either "her or the gig" as she stormed off. He looked sheepish  as she went before everyone assured him he was doing the right thing by staying.

I think Nick Lowe was on before Dando and he was treated okay. Then Dando came on, really arrogant and the crap hit the fan. It was a good half-hour - rumour was he had missed an earlier slot. When he realised how hostile everyone was, he turned up the feedback but didnt help. He got bottled, went and Portishead were amazing.

My understanding was that by Portishead going on late, they then clashed with Tricky or Massive Attack or another related band who was on another stage at the time. And so the arrogant Dando copped the blame.

Back in 94 we camped in the area between the pyramid and the NME stage, before it became what it is today, we’d watched the Lemonheads earlier that day and were sitting outside the tent having a smoke when he walked past us. Had a quick sniff in the air and asked if he could join us. We had a very pleasant 5 mins talking shite with him, don’t think he really understood the Scottish accents he got up said his goodbyes and headed off into the night 

nice guy!

I was there. And had a really good time! Enjoyed Nick Lowe. Then the whole Evan event happened which was quite an experience. Followed by what is still to this day, one of my top five Glastonbury sets of all time. Portishead. They were amazing. Then afterwards I caught the rest of Pulps headline set. I had a great evening!

I love(d) the Lemonheads. One of my favourite bands 30 years ago. Saw them everywhere, from The Mean Fiddler to the Astoria.

He was pretty rough a few years ago in ?The Avalon? Like an automaton, really slow and fragile and just pretty painful to watch. Remember a group of fairly hammered people, in a really good mood, bouncing in expecting him to play that sort of power pop stuff and he did a really tentative, melancholy version of something off Shame About Ray or Car Button Cloth and they all fucked off sharpish. Proper buzzkill. 

I was at the portishead set 1995 in the acoustic tent, I got split up from the rest of friends so hung about after to finish a couple of beers. Got ushered out of the tent as they were clearing it and went for a wander. Seen a group of around 20 people sitting on the grass and Evan Dando was there with his guitar playing a few of his own songs then threw in a couple of Oasis covers. Was one of my most memorable Glastonbury moments...

• 5 weeks later...