first acts announced

Guest 5co77ie

Nice to see the forum with some sparky comments and not the usual love-in.

I was surprised on how low key looking the opening annoucements were this year.

Fine by me as I go every year ( watch out 10 year Summer sundae knighthood thread coming soon)

but do the organisers expect alot of repeat customers regardless of who is playing ?

Any music lover who noses through Uncut,Mojo,DiS, Pitchfork etc should be happy

with the first lot of bands.

Erland and the carnival, a fantastic album (supporting Wild Beasts next week at Queens Hall, shoud be great). Mumford & Sons, great album , great live, not a headliner though. Lovely Laura Veirs, should be a good sunday afternoon slot. The Fall, got to be an indoor headliner. The Go ! Team, would they be a late evening slot, again not a headliner. Lou Rhodes , A Genuine Freakshow, The Wave Pictures , Goldheart assembly, after a bit of myspacing , all sound good. Local Natives getting a big up in NME (although not many bands don't) Woodentops passed me by but theres always got to be a cult band

in for the weekend.

I know SS does not compete with V festival(even by its mainstream standards look very dull and predictable this year) but surely SS10 want to attract a full house , is Titchy Striker the answer as a main draw. I'm relieved that the show still goes on this year and I sure that there is a man with a plan that makes sure it does for 2010 and beyond.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's more acts announced Saturday night on The Beat with Dean Jackson on BBC Radio Leicester, Nottingham and Derby on Saturday 6th March. Dean will be announcing 3 of the bands from the East Midlands who will be performing at this year's festival.

Spotify playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/sweepingthena...tVRURtpW162GS5M

According to the site "Make sure you tune in to The Beat with Dean Jackson on BBC Radio Leicester, Nottingham and Derby on Saturday 6th March. Dean will be announcing 3 of the bands from the East Midlands who will be performing at this year's festival."

Evenin' all! Newbie landed... longtime lurker, loving the site and boards. Organised SS10 as my stag do this year - heard great things about previous years and loved the diversity and strength of past lineups, especially the leanings towards slightly more 'folky'/acoustic acts with the odd wildcards here and there. I personally am made up with the first wave of acts; Have been big time into Mumford for couple of years and always love seeing them; the same with Sunshine Underground and Go! Team. Very excited about Laura Veirs, Local Natives and E&TC all of which I have only recently gotten into and look forward to catching live. My Fiancee is a big Whip fan and assures me they will be beyond brilliant live so thats cool too. Five of the stag party already bought their tickets before the announcement and are equally as pleased, although crucially for me I think it will be a brilliant weekend whoever else is announced as I'll be there with my nearest and dearest chums with (hopefully) some blissful weather, a guaranteed few favourite artistes, lush surroundings and by the sounds of the people on this board, a pretty cool bunch of people around the place. Sorry my message offers no cutting critical insight, witty regard or hilarious retort but I gotta start somewhere..... :P

Loving your work

Sam

x

PS I would LOVE Frightened Rabbit or Tom McRae to be added!! An unreal dreamlist would also include The Swell Season, Laura Marling, Seth Lakeman, Yo La Tengo, LCD Soundsystem, She & Him/M.Ward, The Specials, William Fitzsimmons and Phoenix.... (Just one would still be fine lol)

There's a lot of love for the fall here. Its got me intrigued. Where's the best place to start as there's a hell of a lot of albums i need to catch up on?

Andy defo get death of london on the fringe, the video on their myspace website live at firebug is enough reason to book any band

Saw the Fall live at Reading 2006 i think it was...wasnt perticularly impressed being honest!

I saw them for the first time at Bestival a few years ago (how had I managed to not see them for all these years? :P), and expected them to be shambolic.

They were absolutely stunning. One of the tightest acts I've ever seen.

Having read some stuff about them live since, the comments tend to be that they can be hit and miss - when they're bad they're bad, but when they're good they're mind-blowing (as they were when I saw them).

So I reckon they're worth checking out, to see which version turns up.

Tend to agree, not a great start but plenty of time yet. Looking forward to The Go! Team seem them 2 years back and they were good. The Whip and Sunshine Underground also worth a listen. Not quite as down on Tinchy as most on this board. I'll be there if he'd indoor whilst the Fall are outside.

I hope the Goldfrapp chatter is founded as I'd love to see here.

Bring on the next tranche.

Mike

PS. If I was a betting man I'd have a few quid on The Jessie Rose Trip being added. Another quirky girl fronted band just signed to Coda. Best there from just down the road so I might get a lift to SSW10

I saw that Belle and Sebastian are playing again this summer, and are doing Latitude in July, and I started to get very excited, thinking we may get them at SSW again (their last appearance remains my favourite SSW moment). :P

They're headlining Latitude, though, and they won't come back to SSW if they're at that level now.

Odd thing, though - apart from late afternoon at Reading & Leeds, SSW was their last UK festival to date before a hiatus broken by Latitude. How have they increased their standing so much in that time that they're headlining a festival four times the size of Summer Sundae?

I didn't realise it was that much bigger - 25,000.

Could be that band pricing has gone doolally and this is what you get for your money. Can't be that can it? Maybe they're seen as a true indie crowd puller with history. Odd indeed. I'd love to go this year but Charlotte Gainsburg has got that legal thing against me.

Edited by Ed Leaf

They're headlining Latitude, though, and they won't come back to SSW if they're at that level now.

Odd thing, though - apart from late afternoon at Reading & Leeds, SSW was their last UK festival to date before a hiatus broken by Latitude. How have they increased their standing so much in that time that they're headlining a festival four times the size of Summer Sundae?