first acts announced

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy enough with the announcement 3 bands I like a great deal, some others I think are good some I don't know and some crap, so I'm not complaining. There's a lot to come and I'm sure some amazing bands to come. I'm just relieved Dandy Warhols arn't one of the headliners! (actually they still might be so I better shut up! :P )

I've been checking out some of Lou Rhodes's stuff on youtube.

I had never heard of her, but she's really good!

She was in Lamb, by the way.

Edited by butchwade

To be honest as long as there are 3 or 4 bands I really like and can sing along to, I don't mind about the rest of the line-up. I'm happy to wander around listening to new stuff and enjoying the atmosphere.

The headliners will never match Elbow, Gomez and Belle and Sebastian in 2006 :P

I think people are being overly negative of this announcement. It's only the first few bands, there are still a lot to come including at least 2, possibly all 3 headliners.

Leaving aside Tinchy Stryder (because the vast majority of people who post on here won't go to see him in the same way not many stayed inside for chipmunk and mr hudson last year), i think it's a solid list.

Mumford and Sons have had quite a lot of airplay recently but they are one of the few bands who actually deserve it, their album is well worth a listen. Local Natives are very much tipped for big things and for good reason, don't be surprised if by the time the festival comes around they are considerably better known than they are at the moment. The Whip as has been said on here already today are a great live band, they played the rising stage a few years ago now and it was rammed by the end and the Sunshine Underground are another band who are massively underrated and will be well worth seeing.

Have also heard good things about many of the other bands here and will be seeking them out very soon.

So less of the doom and gloom, this festival has always to me been about finding new favourite bands as well as seeing people I already like who would never normally play in Leicester and i'm sure this year will be no exception.

P.s, I have no connection to the festival, and while not a regular poster, have been here for a few years now ;-)

And that matters why? I've been reading them for ages but never got around to registering. Jesus chill out on the League of Gentlemanism! :P

I've been writing reviews for newspapers and music websites for years so if you're anything like your post suggests, this shouldn't upset your obvious need for everyone who comments on here to have a justification.

I still stand by the fact it's not that bad. There are some great small bands on that list and I have had Erland and the Carnival on my list ever since I listened to the album in January.

The Sunshine Underground might be indie pop but they're no worse than The Mystery Jets last year, The Whip are an awesome live act too and The Fall fill the bracket of the Saturday mid evening band.

I can't wait for the weekend! :P

i'd love the concept of death of london rocking up and doing something completely impromptu somewhere.

to explain to people who dont understand :

death of london are a very very loud leicester band without a brilliant habit of sneaking up unnannounced. they added themselves to the fringe last year without us knowing, even managed to sneak all their kit on stage, without anyone realising. then, halfway through their set, maybeshewill just wandered off stage, DoL wandered on, and literally blew all of firebug (and the PA) to pieces. sounds like an awful loud row, but it was like a fantastic flash mob moment. bonkers. yet brilliant. they even brought 100 moshing fans with them. no-one really had any idea what was happening. the look on dean jackson and the bbc's face was worth it alone, let alone mine, when after 5 minutes, i realised i was watching a band i hadnt booked play my gig. i just stood speechless while they played.

i kind of like that concept, especially after frank FLC managed to play every fringe party one by one in 2008.

i'd also like to revisit the richard haswell flash mob concept?

Edited by andyblack

I'm listening to the Frightened Rabbit album now and thinking they cancelled last year... Would love to see them on the bill.

I really think Summer Sundae has got a lot more of a punch to pack yet. They've had to jump through a million and one hoops just to get this year's fest to even happen. Looking forward to the next announcements :P

Hi Ruth,

Glad to see that you're still here!!!! My unnecessary welcome hasn't put you off, that's cool and I'm pleased about it.

Frightened Rabbit played a couple of years ago on the Rising Stage - a great live band and the intensity of their set was something else.

I'd agree it'd be great to have them back. Are you listening to their Midnight Organ Flight record or the new one? Is there much of a difference between them?

Sean

x

God i love this Forum!!

if they had annnounced The Beatles, Led Zep, The Smiths, Elbow & Bob Dylan someone would still complain that Jesse Malin wasnt playing..........

Personally whilst i agree there arent any obvious headliners there i think its a pretty good selection and any time there are 3 or 4 bands i would pay to see if they were playing in Leicester anyway on the line up i'm happy. In this case, The Go team!, Mumford, Laura Veirs & Lou Rhodes tick that box for me.

So lets see who else we get at the end of the month before we drag Rob and the team through the streets.

Oh and by the way get Jesse Malin on i love him!

Edited by beautifulloser

Whats happening with the fringe this year and does anyone know who runs it?

I've had a look through the forum and can't find any reference to it anywhere.....

As for the lineup - hardly likely to get the punters flocking from outside Leicester, but there are a few bands worth seeing already. We can only hope Mark E Smith decides it time to sack his band (again!) during his set for some comedy value.

"If its just me and yer mum on bongo's, its the f***king Fall" - Legendary put down to a heckler after a previous sacking of his band (or as legend would have it)

I'd pretty much decided not to go this year, but the first acts announced are making me think again, apart from joke rapper Tinchy Stryder, obviously.*

Big thumbs up for The Fall and The Woodentops, both of whom I first saw in the mid 80s, and Go! team who should be excellent. A few others that I'd also like to see - Laura Veirs, M&S, Wave Pictures, Lou Rhodes. More promising than last year's first announcement.

*how about getting some rap/hip hop artists with some talent on the bill at some point?

Whats happening with the fringe this year and does anyone know who runs it?

I've had a look through the forum and can't find any reference to it anywhere.....

Edited by butchwade

Frightened Rabbit played a couple of years ago on the Rising Stage - a great live band and the intensity of their set was something else.

I'd agree it'd be great to have them back. Are you listening to their Midnight Organ Flight record or the new one? Is there much of a difference between them?