Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

On 1/3/2023 at 1:20 PM, Paul ™ said:

It's in the UK in storage till we return for work in April... would deffo need A/C in a caravan here! 

I went to Goa once (many moons ago now). I simply could not believe the rush of heat that suddenly came into the plane when they opened the one exit door for disembarkation. I had been to hot countries before, but never before (or since, for that matter) had I experiences such a sudden gush of intense heat. I likened it at the time to being in an oven.

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I went to Goa once (many moons ago now). I simply could not believe the rush of heat that suddenly came into the plane when they opened the one exit door for disembarkation. I had been to hot countries before, but never before (or since, for that matter) had I experiences such a sudden gush of intense heat. I likened it at the time to being in an oven.

that reminds me of my flight back from goa and the rush of cold damp air when we landed back in europe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/5/2023 at 6:39 PM, Neil said:

that reminds me of my flight back from goa and the rush of cold damp air when we landed back in europe.

Got that to look forward to in 4 weeks time!

Anyway happy thread.. Very happy today as secured a very large chunk of work for myself and my partner for the summer, will see us be in a good place to come back here again in Oct/Nov! 

• 1 month later...

I have posted elsewhere that I am homeless and the council refused to rehouse us in social housing as I owe money to the previous landlord. Well after complaining and seeing our mp we have been put on the register with the banding for homelessness. May not sound much as there are only so many 2 bed places and we will probably end up in a high rise but for me it is a win.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The council are moving us to another  tomorrow to a place somewhere in Oldham for a while. This time it is a furnished 2 bed house with a garden. Just looking forward to our own space and more importantly we have a cooker and they are supplying pots and pans for us. It will be nice to be able to cook a meal 🙂

Be good to get out of this hostel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I haven't been to a pub in yonks, but £3.20 sounds great for a Kronenbourg. Pub prices are mental nowadays. 

Connor and myself took to going to a Wetherspoons a couple of times a month for a bite to eat. It got us out of the monotony of the hostel. A pint of San Miguel was 4.40 which was cheap for Manchester.

I like to goto a Sam Smiths pub which usually was the cheapest. I drink their bottled Porter and used to only pay around 3 quid for a pint bottle. They charged me a fiver and the bottle is now only 440mls. I guess things are tough in the industry.

14 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Connor and myself took to going to a Wetherspoons a couple of times a month for a bite to eat. It got us out of the monotony of the hostel. A pint of San Miguel was 4.40 which was cheap for Manchester.

I like to goto a Sam Smiths pub which usually was the cheapest. I drink their bottled Porter and used to only pay around 3 quid for a pint bottle. They charged me a fiver and the bottle is now only 440mls. I guess things are tough in the industry.

Hostel life can't be fun. I used to cover the maintenance on many such a scheme building for a housing charity. The antics some people get up to are extraordinary, and often brutal. I hope the authorities can home you elsewhere soon.

As for beer, I like real ales. My problem is that they aren't all nice, and I don't take a note of the nice one's that I find. This has led in the past to me having to drink pints of really unpalatable (to me) beer. It's my own fault / mistake, but my memory is f**ked now, so new knowledge tends to go in one ear and out the other.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hostel life can't be fun. I used to cover the maintenance on many such a scheme building for a housing charity. The antics some people get up to are extraordinary, and often brutal. I hope the authorities can home you elsewhere soon.

Back in the 80s I found myself in a real doss house for a great weeks. The walls in rooms didn't reach the floor and I would wake to piss all over my floor from tramps next door.

This one has been a challenge. They had so many rules but essentially I told Connor to keep himself to himself. He used to spend his day in my room. My room window opened up to the smoking area and we would often hear comments like "What is it with that big guy?" and replies like "Stay clear of him". At least they didn't call me Fat c**t.

43 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Back in the 80s I found myself in a real doss house for a great weeks. The walls in rooms didn't reach the floor and I would wake to piss all over my floor from tramps next door.

This one has been a challenge. They had so many rules but essentially I told Connor to keep himself to himself. He used to spend his day in my room. My room window opened up to the smoking area and we would often hear comments like "What is it with that big guy?" and replies like "Stay clear of him". At least they didn't call me Fat c**t.

Everything seems to be a challenge nowadays. This inflation / cost of living increase thing is insane. It is indirectly savaging me and my wife's income. We run an Airbnb and punters this year are few and far between. I don't know what the future holds. Mind you, I have a job interview this Tuesday. It's only a cleaning job on minimum wage, but it would be some income when it's really needed. 

I had know idea that you were a big bloke. Could be handy at times, I'd say. then again, I heavily suspect that if you are a big bloke, then you'd get people trying to take you on for no other reason than you are a big bloke. *

* - I was once in a queue waiting to use the only trap in a pub's male's toilets on Christmas Eve. We'd been waiting in the queue for a very long time, and it wasn't a normal situation. So, as there was no noise from inside the trap, i thought somebody might have passed out there, pissed up So, I knocked the door, and someone grunted, which meant that I knew that the person was alive and well. Then when the door opened, this man mountain of a bloke, who was evidently fiot as a fiddle, as well as huge asked 'Who knocked on the toilet door'? I said it was me. He then told me that if it hadn't have been Christmas Eve that I would have been in a right mess by the time that he had finished with me. I thought to myself 'What a c**t. There I am concerned about your well being, and then you want to actually be physically violent towards me'! Anyway, he walked off. good job too - because , did I tell you, he was f**king massive. I think he must have been a little shy of 7' tall and, to me, several feet wide at the shoulders too. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My meds are screwed and I haven't had any for a bit. I am feeling a little giddy and I apologise for inane posts. My head is saying "sort this" but my heart is saying "just go with it, you have had a hard year, you deserve this."

No feelings on the booze but I will murder a massive kebab. 

All I can do is grin like a baboon on mandy. Shame its got to stop but I don't want the sad and angry and occasionally violent Rufus (reason why I am divorced) Give it a day or two and straight to my GP I promise.

This is a good thing to be happy about, seriously 

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2023 at 2:12 PM, Paul ™ said:

The sun shining here in Goa as we spend the winter here away from the not so great Britain.. 

Deja Vu, been here 6 weeks already and its hot hot hot.... only another 19 weeks left! 

And today got the last of my dental implants in, so in a few months it will be a full smile again!

On 11/29/2023 at 11:05 AM, Paul ™ said:

Deja Vu, been here 6 weeks already and its hot hot hot.... only another 19 weeks left! 

And today got the last of my dental implants in, so in a few months it will be a full smile again!

Sounds awesome although I don't take to well to the heat.

In other news we have moved into our housing association place. We have very little furniture but it definitely feels like home, although we have no hot water or heating until Tuesday and it is a tad chilly.

• Upvote 2