Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

18 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My dad had it the other way around recently. He'd just been taken in to hospital for kidney problems, and was very fortunate to get his own room there. What he didn't expect was the number of people that came in to the room asking him if he wanted to talk to them - about anything. They ranged from the priest, formal hospital patient volunteers, and one person who he gathered hadn't got a clue about why they were there themselves!!

?

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello feral,

I wasn't having a pop at his age. He could well have been a young bloke doing those things, it's just that he happened to be elderly. I suspect that he did have a few other ailments other than a physical one - dementia springs to mind. I get your point though about some wards being more intensive than others, and hadn't actually thought of that. It's a good job I'm not a senior NHS planner getting paid a load of money to get it wrong. Oh, hold on a minute.....   Only joking. That said, it bugs me mental about the funding to the NHS. In the 1950's 60's it may well have taken 6 NHS operatives to change a light bulb, but everything was running smoothly and all was right with the world. Now the system will not allow for 6 people to change a light bulb. Why not? There used to be money in the system for it to happen, so where's all the money gone? It's not left the planet. No need to answer that question, because I know that the majority of it has gone to the 1%.

And yes, I know what you mean. I found it difficult, as wasn't well myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Surgery going well, finally allowed to shower.

Until now, it's been festival conditions without the fun.

Last year I wasted loads of money booking festivals I wasn't fit to go to.

This year, I have a fixation on growing fruit and veg.

On 6/10/2019 at 4:41 PM, feral chile said:

Surgery going well, finally allowed to shower.

Until now, it's been festival conditions without the fun.

Last year I wasted loads of money booking festivals I wasn't fit to go to.

This year, I have a fixation on growing fruit and veg.

Happy to hear that the surgery is going well feral.

It must be nice to be able to eat your own grown fruit and veg, I'd say. I'd like to do it in theory, but in practice I can't even bring myself to do normal gardening. I did grow some potatoes once on a single potato plant, but, if I remember rightly, it was all quite accidental. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Something's just made me happy. However, that something may be wrong. I'll find out, one way or the other, within 5 working days. So, what's made me (temporarily) happy? I had cause to access the HMRC website, and my account on there. This was mind bendingly difficult as I hadn't all the details to log on. Essentially it gave me 10 attempts to log on. I knew one reference number, but not the password. I eventually got the password right on my 5th attempt. So, all well and good - I'm in the system. So, I looked at the first page and it stated that I have paid £2.2K more tax than I should have for the period 2018/2019. It then said press this button, put in my bank details, and I'll get that money within 5 working days. 

I'm not aware of paying more tax, but then again, I'm totally lost when it comes to tax issues - haven't got a fucking clue what's going on in that area. So, maybe it's a mistake, maybe it isn't. So, I'm happy right now, because there's a fair chance that it's not a mistake, and that I'll get this money next week. 

Obviously it could all go wrong, but at least I have hope.

30 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Something's just made me happy. However, that something may be wrong. I'll find out, one way or the other, within 5 working days. So, what's made me (temporarily) happy? I had cause to access the HMRC website, and my account on there. This was mind bendingly difficult as I hadn't all the details to log on. Essentially it gave me 10 attempts to log on. I knew one reference number, but not the password. I eventually got the password right on my 5th attempt. So, all well and good - I'm in the system. So, I looked at the first page and it stated that I have paid £2.2K more tax than I should have for the period 2018/2019. It then said press this button, put in my bank details, and I'll get that money within 5 working days. 

I'm not aware of paying more tax, but then again, I'm totally lost when it comes to tax issues - haven't got a fucking clue what's going on in that area. So, maybe it's a mistake, maybe it isn't. So, I'm happy right now, because there's a fair chance that it's not a mistake, and that I'll get this money next week. 

Obviously it could all go wrong, but at least I have hope.

hi Yog, did you go through the government gateway?

funnily enough I was on the gov.uk website yesterday too, where it's telling me I've overpaid PAYE by about £500.

I can't for the life of me work out how come. I reckon my accounting software is much more likely to be right than HMRC.

Anyway, it means that rather than paying HMRC £600 next week as expected - it's what my accounts software says is due - it's covered already and I'll still have that £500 credit sat there to cover much of the payment due in 3 months time. Result!

Hello feral,

Yes, I did. Are you now going to give me news which I don't want to hear? Don't worry - I'd rather know than be in this state of anticipation.

No, as long as you went through the gateway you should be fine. I was a bit surprised as they usually auto reconcile paye income and send a payable order, SA would be slower and sometimes the credit just sits there xx

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

funnily enough I was on the gov.uk website yesterday too, where it's telling me I've overpaid PAYE by about £500.

I can't for the life of me work out how come. I reckon my accounting software is much more likely to be right than HMRC.

Anyway, it means that rather than paying HMRC £600 next week as expected - it's what my accounts software says is due - it's covered already and I'll still have that £500 credit sat there to cover much of the payment due in 3 months time. Result!

Nice one!

3 hours ago, feral chile said:

No, as long as you went through the gateway you should be fine. I was a bit surprised as they usually auto reconcile paye income and send a payable order, SA would be slower and sometimes the credit just sits there xx

Hello feral,

I'm not on paye, as I live off my occupational pension now. I think that they must have over taxed my lump sum payment initially, or something like that. I was lucky in that my occupational pension was a little bit of an anomaly compared to most pensions, in that I was able to claim it before the age of 55.  

15 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello feral,

I'm not on paye, as I live off my occupational pension now. I think that they must have over taxed my lump sum payment initially, or something like that. I was lucky in that my occupational pension was a little bit of an anomaly compared to most pensions, in that I was able to claim it before the age of 55.  

Ah yes they would have, that makes sense and doesn't ring any alarm bells.

nice one :)

2 hours ago, feral chile said:

Ah yes they would have, that makes sense and doesn't ring any alarm bells.

nice one :)

Thanks for the re-assurance feral. It is good news at this end, as we'll now definitely be able to go to the Landed Festival. We have tickets for it anyway (bought last year), but couldn't see a way to finance it, up until this news. It's in your own country at a place called Llandrindod Wells. It's a beautiful setting. It'll be the only festival we'll be attending this year, so am really looking forward to it. :)

28 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks for the re-assurance feral. It is good news at this end, as we'll now definitely be able to go to the Landed Festival. We have tickets for it anyway (bought last year), but couldn't see a way to finance it, up until this news. It's in your own country at a place called Llandrindod Wells. It's a beautiful setting. It'll be the only festival we'll be attending this year, so am really looking forward to it. :)

I hope you enjoy it, there are some beautiful areas in Wales :)

43 minutes ago, feral chile said:

I hope you enjoy it, there are some beautiful areas in Wales :)

Oh, I know I'll enjoy it. I've been to the festival once before, and it was great. It's set in the grounds of a large country house, which once belonged to a rich Midlands industrialist. It was their country retreat. I think that the descendants of that family still own it. Anyway, it's set in it's own valley, with a river at the bottom, and doesn't appear to have any nearby neighbours. The people from the big house blast lazers through the house windows on to the other side of the valley etc. So, it's fairly funky. In addition, it's frequented by some cutting edge (on the scene) DJ's - or so I'm told - I wouldn't know about cutting edge DJ's ( Tony Blackburn is my favourite DJ!). It's also frequented by people from all walks of life - from crusty travellers to the more square type of person. You can tell I'm getting excited, can't you? Well, I can anyway!

Oh, and yes - Wales does indeed have some beautiful areas. It is well blessed on that front. :)

43 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh, I know I'll enjoy it. I've been to the festival once before, and it was great. It's set in the grounds of a large country house, which once belonged to a rich Midlands industrialist. It was their country retreat. I think that the descendants of that family still own it. Anyway, it's set in it's own valley, with a river at the bottom, and doesn't appear to have any nearby neighbours. The people from the big house blast lazers through the house windows on to the other side of the valley etc. So, it's fairly funky. In addition, it's frequented by some cutting edge (on the scene) DJ's - or so I'm told - I wouldn't know about cutting edge DJ's ( Tony Blackburn is my favourite DJ!). It's also frequented by people from all walks of life - from crusty travellers to the more square type of person. You can tell I'm getting excited, can't you? Well, I can anyway!

Oh, and yes - Wales does indeed have some beautiful areas. It is well blessed on that front. :)

It sounds really good, I hadn't heard of it.

"Well blessed on that front"

(chortle)

Yes, lots of hills and mountain peaks. 

?

21 minutes ago, feral chile said:

It sounds really good, I hadn't heard of it.

"Well blessed on that front"

(chortle)

Yes, lots of hills and mountain peaks. 

?

A fair number of people I know get their 'special' mushrooms from a couple who live within a mountain range in Wales. Apparently this couple harvest the mushrooms on an almost industrial scale.

Talking of psychedelics, me and my mates used to go to Shell Island a lot (way back in the late 80's / 90's) and take acid there. Really loved those days. Oh to be able to go back in time for a day or so. :)

A fair number of people I know get their 'special' mushrooms from a couple who live within a mountain range in Wales. Apparently this couple harvest the mushrooms on an almost industrial scale.

Talking of psychedelics, me and my mates used to go to Shell Island a lot (way back in the late 80's / 90's) and take acid there. Really loved those days. Oh to be able to go back in time for a day or so. :)

Yes, they were a completely free, legal, local pleasure when I was growing up. Quick trip up the mountain and washed down with cider.

Trip. See what I did there?

1 hour ago, feral chile said:

Yes, they were a completely free, legal, local pleasure when I was growing up. Quick trip up the mountain and washed down with cider.

Trip. See what I did there?

Very good on the 'trip' front feral. Well shoe horned in there. It reminds me of a time when me, one of my brothers, and a few of my mates were talking about someone we knew. He had hooked up for a few years with a woman who declared herself to be a white witch. Anyway, his life was being discussed when my brother came out with 'yes, he went out with that white witch for a spell there at one point'. Comic genius!

• 4 weeks later...