Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, grumpyhack said:

Happy day.  Just booked tickets for three tiny fests this summer, all organised by the Something Else in the Dean fest team.  So that's the end of March, Glasto weekend in June and the end of September all sorted.

got Merthyr Rising and WelshFest booked. So that's May and July sorted. 

trying to sell Green Man, Wychwood and Something Else in the Dean to my old man, that would be one a month so would work out nicely.

Not that keen on Merthyr Rising as no real camping/caravan option and Welsh Fest doesn't quite have my music, though worth considering. Keep working on the old man - SEITD's fests are tiny, cheap, lovely and chilled and delightfully crusty.  Wychwood and Green Man are much more expensive and up a league but have lots of variety and plenty for all tastes.  I'm sure we'll meet in a field somewhere this summer.

2 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Not that keen on Merthyr Rising as no real camping/caravan option and Welsh Fest doesn't quite have my music, though worth considering. Keep working on the old man - SEITD's fests are tiny, cheap, lovely and chilled and delightfully crusty.  Wychwood and Green Man are much more expensive and up a league but have lots of variety and plenty for all tastes.  I'm sure we'll meet in a field somewhere this summer.

Welsh Fest was my friend's choice as she's off to Sziget and has other stuff going on. Merthyr Rising is more of a political option related to me being a rep. A few weeks back I was thinking of giving up my rep duties but they need all hands on deck so need motivation.

5 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

yay there was a video of last year's green man highlights, he likes the backdrop, so green man booked :)

any advice on cheap camping gear? I think we got rid of a lot of ours, as my health hasn't been good and didn't expect to be roughing it at my age ever again. If I get back into my festie mojo, I'll need to be planning comfort in future years, but this year is a bit of an impulse thing.

Edited by feral chile

5 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Delightfully crusty, I like that. SEITD is a beautiful festival but this year will be the last one at the Dean site :( 

5 minutes ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Delightfully crusty, I like that. SEITD is a beautiful festival but this year will be the last one at the Dean site :( 

like the location of it too.

is there anything off site at Wychwood? I like the thought of getting to see a bit of nature while I'm at the festival sites.

My husband is getting a bit twitchy with all the festivals I want to get to this year. how quick does Wychwood and SEITD sell out?

I think Wychwood would suit my musical taste, but I'm not sure about the location.

Edited by feral chile

32 minutes ago, feral chile said:

yay there was a video of last year's green man highlights, he likes the backdrop, so green man booked :)

any advice on cheap camping gear? I think we got rid of a lot of ours, as my health hasn't been good and didn't expect to be roughing it at my age ever again. If I get back into my festie mojo, I'll need to be planning comfort in future years, but this year is a bit of an impulse thing.

Good call to go for Green Man, the location is stunning and, for me, it's now my no 1 festival.  All the best bits of Glastonbury without the hassle.  You'll also get the chance to meet our full Glasto Gang.

On cheap camping gear, I've got several tents of various sizes plus the bits and bobs that you will be welcome to borrow.  When the weather improves I'll get the tents out and check them over, similarly sleeping bags and other stuff.  For comfort I still reckon that it's worth watching Pre-loved and other sites for a possible trailer tent. For around £600 you should be able to pick up something pretty decent.

Decision tonight to start the process of bringing 94 year old mother in law home to live with us for her remaining time.  Will be challenging.

1 minute ago, grumpyhack said:

Good call to go for Green Man, the location is stunning and, for me, it's now my no 1 festival.  All the best bits of Glastonbury without the hassle.  You'll also get the chance to meet our full Glasto Gang.

On cheap camping gear, I've got several tents of various sizes plus the bits and bobs that you will be welcome to borrow.  When the weather improves I'll get the tents out and check them over, similarly sleeping bags and other stuff.  For comfort I still reckon that it's worth watching Pre-loved and other sites for a possible trailer tent. For around £600 you should be able to pick up something pretty decent.

Decision tonight to start the process of bringing 94 year old mother in law home to live with us for her remaining time.  Will be challenging.

Thanks GH :)

Being a carer is difficult, be sure to access any support that you can get hold of. Hope you can sort out something to help with the challenge xx

4 minutes ago, feral chile said:

like the location of it too.

is there anything off site at Wychwood? I like the thought of getting to see a bit of nature while I'm at the festival sites.

My husband is getting a bit twitchy with all the festivals I want to get to this year. how quick does Wychwood and SEITD sell out?

I think Wychwood would suit my musical taste, but I'm not sure about the location.

Wychwood is in a lovely location, Cheltenham Racecourse and glorious surrounding Cotswold countryside including a The Gloucestershire and Warwickshire steam railway which has a station nearby.

13 minutes ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Yes, it will be sad to lose the Dean site.  I'm not sure what the background problems are and where it might re-locate.  Any info?

2 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Wychwood is in a lovely location, Cheltenham Racecourse and glorious surrounding Cotswold countryside including a The Gloucestershire and Warwickshire steam railway which has a station nearby.

Cheers, I really want to do it, and SEITD, will have to work on him though. I've been inspired, and really feel I want to make the most of life. 

Maybe he'll get used to the idea - it would only be one weekend a month.

1 hour ago, feral chile said:

Cheers, I really want to do it, and SEITD, will have to work on him though. I've been inspired, and really feel I want to make the most of life. 

Maybe he'll get used to the idea - it would only be one weekend a month.

From memory you've got quite a big vehicle and I don't know if one of these is an option.

http://camperessentials.co.uk/shop/khyam-quick-erect-tailgate-xl-awning/

7 hours ago, feral chile said:

Do any festivals allow you to camp with your car?

Not many nowadays.

At wychwood you can drive onto the campsite to set-up, but have to put the car in the car park. Womad does an add-on-extra where you can do it.

I think you can still do it at Cambridge Folk Fest, tho it might only be one of the campsites.

There probably are some, but not many.

9 hours ago, feral chile said:

Do any festivals allow you to camp with your car?

Yes and no.  If the awning is attached to your vehicle, and you put the tailgate up and the back seats down to form a part of the whole then your vehicle is effectively a campervan.  You may, however, then have to pay for a campervan ticket rather than a camping ticket.

At Wychwood cars that tow caravans have to unhitch and be driven off the camping area up to the car park.  At the end of the fest you bring the car back in and hitch up again.

At some smaller festivals I've been to like Steelhouse and SEITD my car has remained connected to the caravan for the duration.

3 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Yes and no.  If the awning is attached to your vehicle, and you put the tailgate up and the back seats down to form a part of the whole then your vehicle is effectively a campervan.  You may, however, then have to pay for a campervan ticket rather than a camping ticket.

there's lots and lots and lots of festivals which won't allow that.

1 hour ago, feral chile said:

yessss!

Wychwood here I come :D 

Great decision FC.  For Wychwood there will be space for you both in either my caravan or the attached awning.  I go up the day before (the Thursday) and spend the night at the adjoining Caravan Club site to charge the leisure battery and top up my water tanks.  You'd be welcome to come up in my car that day or drive up separately and find my caravan on the site on Friday. A couple of my Glasto Gang will probably be coming and Neil from EFests is usually there with his family.  It's a delightful mainstream festival but remember to take your bathers in case you get the chance of a spell in their hot tub.

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

Great decision FC.  For Wychwood there will be space for you both in either my caravan or the attached awning.  I go up the day before (the Thursday) and spend the night at the adjoining Caravan Club site to charge the leisure battery and top up my water tanks.  You'd be welcome to come up in my car that day or drive up separately and find my caravan on the site on Friday. A couple of my Glasto Gang will probably be coming and Neil from EFests is usually there with his family.  It's a delightful mainstream festival but remember to take your bathers in case you get the chance of a spell in their hot tub.

Thanks GH. It'd Be really nice to meet up. We'd bring our car and find you on Friday , working Thursday.

I'm really glad to get my festi mojo back. :)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bunique said:

I passed my driving test today, first time (albeit 16 years since I had my first lesson). Can’t believe it!

brilliant stuff! if it makes you feel any better, I'm still to scared to learn (I'm 57) because I'm so spatially challenged. I knock things over with anything I happen to be carrying, step back into people, get lost easily...I keep translating that into driving, and it puts me off.

Congratulations, enjoy your freedom and independence (jealous)

:)

• Upvote 1