Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

Buying them outright - @ £6,500. Solar PVs. Theoretically an eight year payback.

Planning a possible couple of solar thermals as well but one thing at a time.

Mrs Grumpyhack also wanted a wood burner and the theory was that they would all connect into a heat store tank. But because we have no chimney on our house the stainless steel flue and a woodburner we've been quoted for comes in at @ £12,000, which is outside our budget for the moment.

It's all being financed by Mrs GH's retirement pension pot so we will have to save up a bit more for the next stages.

Buying them outright - @ £6,500. Solar PVs. Theoretically an eight year payback.

Planning a possible couple of solar thermals as well but one thing at a time.

Mrs Grumpyhack also wanted a wood burner and the theory was that they would all connect into a heat store tank. But because we have no chimney on our house the stainless steel flue and a woodburner we've been quoted for comes in at @ £12,000, which is outside our budget for the moment.

It's all being financed by Mrs GH's retirement pension pot so we will have to save up a bit more for the next stages.

Nobody can say your not doing your bit. Fair play to you grumpy.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

Nobody can say your not doing your bit. Fair play to you grumpy.

Thank you Yog. I think Neil still reckons I'm money motivated but, as I responded to his earlier comment, I'll be in my 70s by the time I see any return.

Well the thing is that I've never been sexually attracted to a man in all my 48 years. I recognise men who have beauty, but it kind of stops there. I do have a complete shed load of gay mates though, and have been to more gay bars and clubs than you can shake a stick at. Never once was I inclined to cop off with a bloke. Just like you know you are gay, I know I am straight. I'm happy to hear that you embrace your homosexuality as a friend though. Too many people are crippled with their perceived inability to accept their sexuality. Hope life on the high seas is treating you well. :)

One of the best posts ever, sincerely.

However I have questioned wtf in some bars in Vegas & LA... I even went to "Trannyoake & stepped up to sing Blink 181's I Miss You (I was drunk & they had no Blur! So next band I liked) forgetting there's the really long & boring for karaoke bass/guitar bit in the middle! All my mates were signing GaGa, Beyonce & tunes from Cats!

Well the thing is that I've never been sexually attracted to a man in all my 48 years. I recognise men who have beauty, but it kind of stops there. I do have a complete shed load of gay mates though, and have been to more gay bars and clubs than you can shake a stick at. Never once was I inclined to cop off with a bloke. Just like you know you are gay, I know I am straight. I'm happy to hear that you embrace your homosexuality as a friend though. Too many people are crippled with their perceived inability to accept their sexuality. Hope life on the high seas is treating you well. :)

Still a fab night out! There was even a fat labrador in the bar & Blink 181 do not exist

Edited by Couchy

I think you should perhaps try some other quotes.

It all depends on what burner and your exact set-up of course, but a year ago I had a woodburner fitted and had the chimney lined with a stainless steel flue and that wasn't much more than £1500.

I can't see how a stand-alone flue would cost £8k+ more than lining the chimney (tho I can see how you could spend £1k+ more on a burner than I spent).

I think Neil still reckons I'm money motivated

no, I didn't say that.

I merely responded to you saying how it was major expense for the benefit of the environment as not really being the case. As you've said in your latest post the payback is after 8 years after which it pays you money, so it's a financial asset and not a financial expense.

As an older person you possibly may not be around to see the return on it personally, but someone will. It's no less of an investment than a house is.

Edited by eFestivals

Its only an asset at the point it moves beyond break even... Until then it is a risk (or expense if you prefer) like almost all financial investments at the start.

This is pretty basic stuff and your whole thinking on this matter has been shit from the start :P

That doesn't sound right, a lot of assests lose money such as machinery, cars and computers due to their value doing down after being bought but they are still assests.

Oh look Neil doing his typical, I can't say anything of use back so I will just laugh :)

You have been found wanting :) Again :)

No Barry, you're a thick shit who knows only a fraction of what you think you do.

An asset is anything with a value. So if someone would pay money to buy an object from you, that object is an asset.

An investment is anything where surplus money might be safely stored to later be accessed (it doesn't have to increase, or even hold it's value - tho of course the preferred investments are the beneficial ones).

And so you see, it's you that is to be found wanting.

The most basic econo0mics course would help you an awful lot.

Edited by eFestivals

If you spend £10,000 on a car... Start the engine, drive a mile, lose £4000 on the resale value and sell it the next day. You haven't got an asset :) You have a massive financial fuck up :)

It might be a personal financial fuck up, but the car is still an asset. :rolleyes:

Anything with a value to someone else - something someone else will pay you money for - is an asset.

It might be labeled as a "depreciating asset" on the books due to various accounting rules... but for anyone to tell me they have an "asset" on their arms.... well I am must be talking to either a moron, a banker or a accountant... Or maybe all three at once :P

And the reality?

You're just too stupid to understand economics.

As it says...

A mortgaged house is NOT an asset...

If the mortgage is 100% or greater than 100% of the resale value, you're correct.

If the mortgage is less than 100% of the resale value, then what you have is an asset - something that people will pay YOU money for.

FFS. My kid had grasped all this when he was eight. :lol:

Hardly :) You took the Thatcher school of economics :) LMAO

If you spend £10,000 on a car... Start the engine, drive a mile, lose £4000 on the resale value and sell it the next day. You haven't got an asset :) You have a massive financial fuck up :)

It might be labeled as a "depreciating asset" on the books due to various accounting rules... but for anyone to tell me they have an "asset" on their arms.... well I am must be talking to either a moron, a banker or a accountant... Or maybe all three at once :P

The correct label is actually a fixed assest but in the simpliest of terms if you have ownership of something with resale value then it's an asset.

So someone buys the car today for £6000... and the day afterwards it is worth even less and you want to say its still a true asset :) and not a risk / liability.... ok :)

There is a total separation needed here between what accountants will label things as and want in reality is a true asset from a financial point of view :)

I think you have all taken the new age cool aid :P You would all do well in the city :D

You're thinking of it soley as an investement, whilst an investement is an assest not all assests are investements. The proper definition of an assest is something that you have ownership of, has value and will provide future benefits.

So someone buys the car today for £6000... and the day afterwards it is worth even less and you want to say its still a true asset :) and not a risk / liability.... ok :)

It has a resale value. By definition, that makes it an asset.

FFS. ;lol:

There is a total separation needed here between what accountants will label things as and want in reality is a true asset from a financial point of view :)

any accountant will label objects with a resale value as assets.*

(* they'll also fail to list things with a resale value as an asset, but that's a result of accountancy rules rather than the true reality of a resale value)

The "reality is a true asset from a financial point of view" is anything with a resale value. That's the reality that you're too stupid to accept.

I think you have all taken the new age cool aid :P You would all do well in the city :D

No, we've not been on the stupid pills as you have.

Edited by eFestivals

But they do get damaged, they do break, they can be installed badly, they do fail....

Yup.

And *IF* that happens and causes them to lose all resale value, ONLY at that point do they cease to be an asset.

For all of the while they have a resale value, they are by definition an asset.

If you invest £6000 it will take at BEST, if everything goes right eight years to get your money back... Until that point, you have nothing other than a liability and risk.

That is simple business reasoning....

That it's a risk until repaid is indeed simple business reasoning. Anything is a risk until that risk pays off.

Nothing of that affects their status as an asset tho. For all the while they have a resale value they are by definition an asset.

FFS. :lol:

I think you should perhaps try some other quotes.

It all depends on what burner and your exact set-up of course, but a year ago I had a woodburner fitted and had the chimney lined with a stainless steel flue and that wasn't much more than £1500.

I can't see how a stand-alone flue would cost £8k+ more than lining the chimney (tho I can see how you could spend £1k+ more on a burner than I spent).

I'd be interested in the firm that did the woodburner and flue for £1500. Perhaps you could PM me Neil.

I'd be interested in the firm that did the woodburner and flue for £1500. Perhaps you could PM me Neil.

quite happy to recommend them publicly, I'm very pleased with the job they did. I can't remember where I found them now, but after finding them there were a few people who told me they were good.

http://www.heartwoodburners.co.uk/

(They might be a little slow in getting back to you, but they will get back to you.)

PS: the burner we bought was quite a small one, because that's what suited us - from memory it was somewhere around £500/£600 .... so the quote you get from them could be a fair bit more, depending on the burner you want.

I'm struggling to think how anything could cost the £12k you were quoted, but I'm no expert.