Kendal Calling 2010

Guest SharonStoned

Parklife, there isn't going to be a solution, only a balance.

For example (to quote poor lil cool phil who was particularly miserable that weekend)

''behaviour deteriorates - its what happens when you're young, drunk and stupid, we've all been there. And that puts off older punters from returning.''

Perhaps, phil, Carlsberg was deliberately priced to deter asbos from drinking too much. -Only an asbo would touch the stuff - and the grownups could drink exceedingly good real ale and real lager at reasonable prices. Asbos would never put 2+2 together would they? Read the whingers to understand this!! Incidentally, Coniston Bluebird £3.60 a pint in Coniston when I was down there last month.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was for the 2nd year at KC with my litter crew so I thought I'd answer a few of the points raised that I've read.

Bin Bags, these were ment to of been given out at the enterance from the car park, the stewards only managed to hand out 500 all week.

Recycling areas, we didn't have any, all waste from KC goes of site to be recycled and a rate of 85% is achived.

Bins, this year we put out more bins than last year in the arena, next year we will double that again. I could fill the arena so full with bins that you could hardly move, you still wouldn't get people that don't give a dam to use them

We made sure that every morning that the Arena was as clean as posible, only to see it like a dump in just a couple of hours.

After festival over 1000hrs of work was done to clean the site. When we left on Sunday It was as clean as it had been before everone came. There were sheep in the car park and the deer were back into the campervan area.

Edited by viking jeff

I was for the 2nd year at KC with my litter crew so I thought I'd answer a few of the points raised that I've read.

Bin Bags, these were ment to of been given out at the enterance from the car park, the stewards only managed to hand out 500 all week.

Recycling areas, we didn't have any, all waste from KC goes of site to be recycled and a rate of 85% is achived.

Bins, this year we put out more bins than last year in the arena, next year we will double that again. I could fill the arena so full with bins that you could hardly move, you still wouldn't get people that don't give a dam to use them

We made sure that every morning that the Arena was as clean as posible, only to see it like a dump in just a couple of hours.

After festival over 1000hrs of work was done to clean the site. When we left on Sunday It was as clean as it had been before everone came. There were sheep in the car park and the deer were back into the campervan area.

Someone reported that there were 85 arrests at the festival. I think for a small festival that is an appallingly high number and indicates how much knobbing about there was going on. It needs to be addressed and the alcohol policy is key to that. Im at another small festivsl this weekend that sells beer and ale and proper cocktails at pub prices and allows you to take your own beer in the arena. If there are more arrests than I have fingers on one hand, I'll be astonished - in five years Ive never seen trouble once (although I did hear about someone running away from a copper with a spliff once!). The point remains that if KC want to convince people about being a small, independent festival, they would do better to look at the practices of successful small independent festivals than ape the worst excesses of the big corporates.

As a comparison - and for a festival around 4 or 5 times as big - there were 33 arrests at The Big Chill.

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/local/8325502.Female_solo_artists_headline_at_Ledbury_s_Big_Chill/

I'm sure you know that's the fault of the police, not the fact there were less reasons to arrest. From the stories i've heard, hundreds could have been arrested at the Big Chill this year.

If anything a high number of arrests is a good thing, I don't see why kendal calling are being put down for it. At any music festival of over 5000 people with kendals audience/type of music there will most likely be more than 100 drug takers there.

"fault" of the police? A fault how exactly?

If there's a fault anywhere I strongly suspect it's with Cumbria police. After all, this is 2010, when most of the country has moved on past the idea that only drug taking smellie hippies go to festivals, so each person going should be stopped and searched. ;)

"fault" of the police? A fault how exactly?

If there's a fault anywhere I strongly suspect it's with Cumbria police. After all, this is 2010, when most of the country has moved on past the idea that only drug taking smellie hippies go to festivals, so each person going should be stopped and searched. ;)

When I said fault, I meant with the police at Big Chill, not the Cumbrian police! If they only made 35 arrests, frankly, thats a joke, because theres about 30-40k people at the big chill isnt there? You stated a comparrison suggesting negativity towards Kendal Calling for having so many arrests, as if there were major drug problems, whereas I was saying its a good thing, other festivals (or rather regional police) should take note. Maybe we misunderstood each other.

I'm obviously not in support of the police arresting, and im glad i didnt get in any trouble that weekend, but it does keep alot of people out of festivals - the kind at Leeds that come upto you every 5minutes trying to sell ket, or the other ones who beg for pills.

When I said fault, I meant with the police at Big Chill, not the Cumbrian police! If they only made 35 arrests, frankly, thats a joke, because theres about 30-40k people at the big chill isnt there? You stated a comparrison suggesting negativity towards Kendal Calling for having so many arrests, as if there were major drug problems, whereas I was saying its a good thing, other festivals (or rather regional police) should take note. Maybe we misunderstood each other.

I'm obviously not in support of the police arresting, and im glad i didnt get in any trouble that weekend, but it does keep alot of people out of festivals - the kind at Leeds that come upto you every 5minutes trying to sell ket, or the other ones who beg for pills.

I've no idea what the arrests were for, so I'm not suggesting "major drug problems" for any fest.

And 35 arrests by BC is not the joke you imagine - the joke is more likely to be Cumbria from what you say. While the old bill are able to search a huge number of people if they want to, and from that are likely to make a number of drug arrests, they are not permitted to search without suspicion of an offence, and merely attending a festival is in itself not grounds for suspicion.

So the old bill should NOT be doing random searches - yet at Kendall Calling, from what you or others have posted, it appears that they were. That makes them the joke.

Could it be that Cumbria Plod had a 'zero tolerance approach' to those Evil Drugs, whereas the likes of Glasto, Big Chill etc adopt a more relaxed attitude?

But I did hear a report of half-a-dozen, obviously under-age 'lads', sitting outside a tent with a mountain of tinnies, when security wandered past, and the exchange went along the lines of:

Security - "Alright lads, how old are you lot then?"

Lads - ...long pause... "Er, eighteen"

Security - "That's OK then..."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dream bands next year...Franz Ferdinand, Manics, Ian Brown, Nick Cave, Public Enemy, The Music, Flaming Lips, SFA's, Teenage Fanclub...(and get Wind-Up Birds, Our Fold & Underdogs back)...any one of the above would be great!

And please, please sort out the underage drinking!

Edited by Flaminglippy

We've sent out an email questionnaire this morning to all on our newsletter & we'll be planning the festival around your responses.

You're right about the underage drinking, whilst I didn't see it at KC I have witnessed it at other festivals this year and it can get annoying.

Some good suggestions on artists there. I was actually a dressed as a yeti for Flaming Lips on their last tour, dancing on stage throughout the show. Best gig ever and one I'll never forget.

picture4apj.png

We've sent out an email questionnaire this morning to all on our newsletter & we'll be planning the festival around your responses.

You're right about the underage drinking, whilst I didn't see it at KC I have witnessed it at other festivals this year and it can get annoying.

Some good suggestions on artists there. I was actually a dressed as a yeti for Flaming Lips on their last tour, dancing on stage throughout the show. Best gig ever and one I'll never forget.

picture4apj.png

picture4apj.png

Edited by Flaminglippy

theres two ways of stopping underage drinking, firstly is to be alot stricter in id'ing kids on the door with alcohol, and secondly is to restrict the amount of younger people coming in

a good way to stop large groups without restricting kids going would be to say anyone under the age of 18 has to be accompanied by an adult over the age of 18, with upto 3 minors per adult?

while this wouldnt stop kids going with older siblings/mates (who are likely to be a bit more responsible), it stops groups of 20 15year olds turning up