Your favourite Glasto images

Madabout G

The first shot was taken no later than 1984 {could be 1981/2/3} its not my shot as I cant be bothered digging though negatives and then scanning them in .

Imag34331.jpg

but the other has a time stamp on it so its 2004

1024-g800.jpg

You will all be aware its a different Pyramid but note the 1981/2/3/4 one had a much higher security ramp - at that time there was no Security at the bottom although that all changed with idiots tossing mud onto the stage.

Some would climb on the stage but as it took them a fair bit to get up there Security would always catch them.

Note that it was possible to park beside your tent although this meant that you could not leave when you wanted.

So two images taken twenty years apart but the basic concept is still the same - sheer enjoyment.

By the way can anyone recall the first year the CND sign was first displayed on the Pyramid ?

Imag34331.jpg

By the way can anyone recall the first year the CND sign was first displayed on the Pyramid ?

Ah.. memories of youth, such a different world. That is not far from where I camped one year. I think the CND sign went up in 82 so this must be 81, my first festival. That year I had no tent so just used to sleep for about two hours a night in one of the marquees

I love the old photos from the 70s and 80s, just a shame that photography wasn't as prolific as it is now, with the boom of digital photography cutting out the cost of films and developing.

Sure Cameras were a lot more bulky as there was really only SLR's with interchangeable lenses so you had to carry a flight case but the main difference was that people took more care over what was shot - there was no handy delete button and the big worry was keeping the 35 mm film cool.

I have loads of images from the early days all stacked in boxes so its a major job to sift though them as images did not have a date stamp on them.

Will wait until the Winter and will then have a rumble about. { as my time is taken up with hospital appointments - long story }

Ah.. memories of youth, such a different world. That is not far from where I camped one year. I think the CND sign went up in 82 so this must be 81, my first festival. That year I had no tent so just used to sleep for about two hours a night in one of the marquees

going by http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/history/1981/

it states 1981 - The CND logo was not present at this Festival, as it was too heavy to lift into position at the apex but no word if they got it up in 1982 so you may be right.

I am sure that by 1983 it was up there but will have to double check.

From memory the mud did not get bad until 1985 so really people could survive without a tent - still you must be a bit crazy as its bloody freezing at night.

By the way in 1981 you would have paid £ 8 for your ticket and more than likely you got it from a CND shop - no pre registration in those days - just staggered into a CND shop pass over some cash and the ticket was in your hand - pure magic.

I have some of the early programme's { well at least from 1979 } - must dig them out.

1979 site plan

If you were there in 1981 then you will remember the Reggae tent { may be called Dub Reggae } which was open 24 hours per day but not a place where you could have quiet kip - someone told me it was run by Rastafarian's from Bristol - all huge custom built speakers.

can you recall it ?

I have loads of images from the early days all stacked in boxes so its a major job to sift though them as images did not have a date stamp on them.

From memory the mud did not get bad until 1985 so really people could survive without a tent - still you must be a bit crazy as its bloody freezing at night.

If you were there in 1981 then you will remember the Reggae tent { may be called Dub Reggae } which was open 24 hours per day but not a place where you could have quiet kip - someone told me it was run by Rastafarian's from Bristol - all huge custom built speakers.

can you recall it ?

I most certainly can remember the 24hr reggae tent(s). The first one was a Bristol sound system but I met some guys latter in the eighties from Handsworth in Birmingham who ran another tent. They were called Israel Movements. I spent a significant proportion of the festival in these tents for several years and listened to little but reggae for the best part of a decade. I was only 16 in 1981 and in those days I spent about two hours a day on average in the sea year round in a shitty wetsuit so I didn't feel the cold. I did have a sleeping bag BTW! 1981 was lovely weather for the festival as I recall, though I could be wrong.

I most certainly can remember the 24hr reggae tent(s). The first one was a Bristol sound system but I met some guys latter in the eighties from Handsworth in Birmingham who ran another tent. They were called Israel Movements. I spent a significant proportion of the festival in these tents for several years and listened to little but reggae for the best part of a decade. I was only 16 in 1981 and in those days I spent about two hours a day on average in the sea year round in a shitty wetsuit so I didn't feel the cold. I did have a sleeping bag BTW! 1981 was lovely weather for the festival as I recall, though I could be wrong.

If you look at the original image I posted from 1982 the reggae tent would have been behind the camera { so 180 degrees } which was the original market place .

I think it was supposed to be a cafe but there appeared to be a lot of alcohol on sale but I am sure it never had a license.

If memory is correct the Police had a hand in the organisation in 1989 so I reckon the original Reggae tent made a discreet exit in 1987.

I think 1982 and 1983 may have been dry and it was wet in 1984 { well we thought it was wet } but nothing prepared us for 1985 when it must have poured for three weeks before Glasto and wet all the way though it - stuff the rain but the mud was something else - it kills me to hear people complain about mud in the late 90's/00's when so much has been done to improve drainage but of course you had to have been there to appreciate how bloody muddy it was.

I joined the WBC in 1989 so 1987 was the last year I had to buy tickets - they cost £ 21 each.

I did run into a few people who never even took a sleeping bag - complete nutters.

cool photos, but i just cannot believe how much stuff some people take to glasto :P

I agree - if I am not working a early shift I will have a wander and so many people can be seen carting so much stuff I am amazed I have not spotted any pack horses but I bet they would if there was no ban on animals (except registered guide dogs )

In heavy going I have seen people dump stuff on the tracks so if they are willing to do that then whatever they dump is not vital.

Last year I did spot a few people carrying a normal bed mattress which even for Glasto is taking things a bit far.

Haha yes! I'm so glad someone else managed to get one of the terrifying monster of electronic music! I found him a couple of times whilst a bit out of it, stumbling through the dance village. No-one would believe me - it was so scary! :P

discovered him on the first day whilst exploring the site for the first time. :P i didn't know there were others dotted around though!

Iconic image. Thanks

Edited by Monkey Allen