Boxing

Cardboard Box City

Its one of those fights that's great television, lacking in technique but 2 men swinging. The referee is there to make the call on issues of safety, there are no doubt times when they get it wrong. However there is an argument that if they are unsure they should err on the side of the safety of the fighter.

In my opinion the referee could have allowed the fight to continue but he would have been delaying the inevitable, forget the scorecards, Groves had burned out. In some respects losing in this manner (rather than waiting and still losing in a less controversial manner) will work in Groves favour. His profile is vastly improved and his call for a rematch Is greater than if he had been knocked down. Some may say that if the ref hadn't stopped it we would be looking at George Groves world champion, I just don't see it that way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So we have the groves froch rematch tomorrow, is anyone watching it? Really hope it lives up to some of the hype that it has been given. Think it will be close, and end in the final few rounds with an actual knockout this time

Yeah I'm getting it in. Looking forward to it. They've done a great job of promoting it. I don't care who wins. I don't particularly like either of them.

Some of the mindgames have been hilarious to read, what makes it funnier is that they were good friends until not long after the froch butè fight. Even more impressively they've sold 80000 tickets. Would prefer froch to win, but am really looking forward to it.

Some of the mindgames have been hilarious to read, what makes it funnier is that they were good friends until not long after the froch butè fight. Even more impressively they've sold 80000 tickets. Would prefer froch to win, but am really looking forward to it.

Nothing like a controversial stoppage to bulk up a rematch.

Froch has 22 KOs from 31 wins. Groves has 15 KOs in 19 wins. Both pretty aggressive when they get a sniff. Should be a good fight.

I tried to get tickets, but got screwed by all the touts hoovering them up. I think Froch would have won the previous fight even without the contreversial stoppage, I think he will be better prepared this time and finish it earlier. Froch fights are generally entertaining, so i will try and catch it. Im not sure where the winner goes from this fight, Andre Ward would confortably beat either.,

I hope Froch wins and I hope he retires.

However, I think should he win Froch would indeed fight Ward again, and lose again.

All irrelevant as I can't see anything bar an easy Groves win. Boxers in the style of Froch never fade slowly, their bodies just start one fight one day and say I'm not taking any more. I fear this bout will be that day for Carl. I hope I'm wrong.

I tried to get tickets, but got screwed by all the touts hoovering them up. I think Froch would have won the previous fight even without the contreversial stoppage, I think he will be better prepared this time and finish it earlier. Froch fights are generally entertaining, so i will try and catch it. Im not sure where the winner goes from this fight, Andre Ward would confortably beat either.,

yeah I think froch would have won in the end as well but we'll never know.

Think ward would be a good fight for the winner but he would be a comfortable winner.

Can see a fast start from both, but if it goes the distance, froch can go almost all out as his stamina is awesome - his second fight vs Kessler showed that.

And yeah, bloody touts have probably made a fortune from it, luckily got hold of some in the original sale.

I hope Froch wins and I hope he retires.

However, I think should he win Froch would indeed fight Ward again, and lose again.

With his career coming towards its end, I would think Froch is looking to cash in at this point. Im not sure theres any money in fighting Ward who isn't a draw in his own country and probably wouldn't travel.

I think Froch looked like he had learned from the previous fight and he never looked like losing this fight. I was surprised he was losing with the judges.

Its hard to know where Froch goes from here. To me he doesn't want to waste the end of his career fighting the likes of De Gale. He talked about Vegas but the most obvious challenge in his division Andre (charisma vacuum) Ward doesn't bring you Vegas. The only path to a big money fight to me is moving up and facing Hopkins, but Im not sure Froch is well enough known in America to get that fight, maybe its time to call it a day.

Delighted that Froch's body held up last night, another very impressive performance. I had in 4 rounds in front and disagreed with the judges scorecards (and Amir Khan).

Its hard to know where Froch goes from here. To me he doesn't want to waste the end of his career fighting the likes of De Gale. He talked about Vegas but the most obvious challenge in his division Andre (charisma vacuum) Ward doesn't bring you Vegas. The only path to a big money fight to me is moving up and facing Hopkins, but Im not sure Froch is well enough known in America to get that fight, maybe its time to call it a day.

Really cannot see Hopkins being even discussed. He's not boxed at 12st for more than 5 years for starters and there's no chance of Froch stepping up to light heavyweight. I guess an agreed catch weight could be possible but I think there's more feasible options.

I still hope Froch retires but if the pull of Vegas is too much and the obvious rematch with Ward isn't the match up, then I reckon the only two other choices would be Chavez Jr who's recently stepped up to 12st and has a very impressive record or maybe Bika.

Delighted that Froch's body held up last night, another very impressive performance. I had in 4 rounds in front and disagreed with the judges scorecards (and Amir Khan).

Really cannot see Hopkins being even discussed. He's not boxed at 12st for more than 5 years for starters and there's no chance of Froch stepping up to light heavyweight. I guess an agreed catch weight could be possible but I think there's more feasible options.

I still hope Froch retires but if the pull of Vegas is too much and the obvious rematch with Ward isn't the match up, then I reckon the only two other choices would be Chavez Jr who's recently stepped up to 12st and has a very impressive record or maybe Bika.

I don't think Hopkins would fight froch as he doesn't have a belt or name value in America to tempt him. I doubt froch v ward could draw in Vegas.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...