Boxing

Cardboard Box City

Rightly or wrongly, one is a former world champion and one is a former world championship contender. It's hardly two knuckleheads. It'll probably be shite because Haye will keep his distance, outbox him as it were, and win a boring decision like he did against Valuev.

This is a freak show with two knuckleheads, and it was amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz2yMz3it4E&feature=related

• 5 months later...

Not sure if I posted this before but just watched this Ali interview when he was in Ireland in 1972. Obviously a time with no global TV, internet etc so he takes his mask off so to speak, knowing America wouldn't see or hear about it.

Possibly the best Ali interview I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QWvBBMtRak

Edited by The Nal

• 1 month later...

Much respect for kessler v froch on sky sports news, they are coming over very well. Just chatting about the fight and how its boxing not fighting all over the floor. A nice friendly chat and not the other rubbish you get in boxing.

No of the nonsense of haye and chisora.

Much respect for kessler v froch on sky sports news, they are coming over very well. Just chatting about the fight and how its boxing not fighting all over the floor. A nice friendly chat and not the other rubbish you get in boxing.

No of the nonsense of haye and chisora.

And none of the box office figures as a result I bet!

Nothing promotes a boxing fight better than a good brawl at a press conference.

• 3 weeks later...
On way home from York Hall. When Harrison is far and away the best boxer on show, it says all you need to know about the opposition. Rogan had a go but never threatened really.

Disappointed with the result from Liverpool - had high hopes of Price.

Expected Price to win, but I dont really see him as world title material. I think he is a class below the next class down from the Klitchskos. Interestingly it probably makes price v fury slightly more likely because if fury loses to cunningham (which I dont expect, but wouldnt be surprised either) both would have far less options than they had when they were unbeaten.

Expected Price to win, but I dont really see him as world title material. I think he is a class below the next class down from the Klitchskos. Interestingly it probably makes price v fury slightly more likely because if fury loses to cunningham (which I dont expect, but wouldnt be surprised either) both would have far less options than they had when they were unbeaten.

I do see him as world class material. But only because the heavyweight division is diabolical at the moment. When Vlad and Vitali retire the belts will change hands a lot as crap fighters beat crap fighters

• 3 months later...

I would prefer a froch v kessler decided, with it currently standing at one fight each. I think it is a fight that the country would want to see and would be held in the UK.

Froch v ward would be in the usa. I dont think the hype would be as much and its a fight Froch would lose.

Agree with all of that other that Ward v Froch being in the US.

I think it'll be a stadium fight in the UK.

Agree with all of that other that Ward v Froch being in the US.

I think it'll be a stadium fight in the UK.

That would be a gamble for Ward, he doesn't come as a risk taker to me, but I suppose money could talk. I have to admit I didn't see Ward V Froch but have seen some of Wards other fights. I could imagine a rematch would be similar to Mayweather V Hatton with the latter throwing loads of punches and not connecting, with the former being more measured but outboxing his opponent, I doubt ward would stop Froch though.

That would be a gamble for Ward, he doesn't come as a risk taker to me, but I suppose money could talk. I have to admit I didn't see Ward V Froch but have seen some of Wards other fights. I could imagine a rematch would be similar to Mayweather V Hatton with the latter throwing loads of punches and not connecting, with the former being more measured but outboxing his opponent, I doubt ward would stop Froch though.

The fight will be in the same place where all fights take place.

The place that guarantees the most money and the biggest audience - which is why I think it'll be in the UK.

he didn't stop him last time, and that was in the US with the home crowd behind him.

Froch has the titles so its whether Ward wants them again. He was there scouting as well, with HBO.

plus he sent out this tweet:

Great time in the UK!! It's very simple...pick up the phone @EddieHearn!! GoodNight!!

https://twitter.com/andreward/status/338464806455615488

personally would like to see Froch vs Ward, then if Froch wins, have round 3 vs Kessler where after that they both retire or something.

Plus Froch will have learnt from their last fight, and by re-watching them see where he can improve. He looks in great shape considering.

The fight will be in the same place where all fights take place.

The place that guarantees the most money and the biggest audience - which is why I think it'll be in the UK.

I take it ward isn't a big draw in America then? I don't think I have ever heard him speak but from the small amount I have seen of him online he seemed to lack charisma, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was more interest in the fight here than in the USA. Are there any boxers in the USA who are big draws now other than Mayweather? Too many like Lacey, Pavlik and Dawson have been hyped as the next big thing and never really pulled it off.

I take it ward isn't a big draw in America then? I don't think I have ever heard him speak but from the small amount I have seen of him online he seemed to lack charisma, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was more interest in the fight here than in the USA. Are there any boxers in the USA who are big draws now other than Mayweather? Too many like Lacey, Pavlik and Dawson have been hyped as the next big thing and never really pulled it off.

Lets put it this way, he had a fight in his home town where he was

Fighting in front of his hometown crowd as part of a dual-site co-main event

and there was hardly a crowd there.

but maybe that's just where it took place.

And apart from one fight in st lucia, and one in the cayman islands, all his fights have been in the US.

I see it like a Bute situation, stepping out of his comfort zone.

who knows though, but he hasn't had a fight in Vegas or MSG. that sort of tells you his draw tbh.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A poor decision, but far from the most scandalous decisions in boxing. Groves inexperience put himself in the position where a poor judgement from the referee would cost him the match. For what its worth I think Froch would have won even if the referee had let the match continue as I think Groves was gone.

I think Groves deserves a rematch and its up to Froch whether he wants it. I don't see many other options other than retirement. Ward would be a terrible fight because he isn't a big financial draw but would beat Froch comfortably

Such a disappointing ending. Think groves deserved at least the chance to carry on and is well worthy of a rematch. Farcical decision.

As for Haye I'm convinced he never really wanted to fight Fury for whatever reason. If Fury decides to carry on I'd like to see him take on Deontay Wilder

well also if you rewatch the ending, groves stumbled towards the ref (or the ref was positioned slightly badly) and that's possibly why he reacted too quickly.

reckon if he'd fallen and got up froch would have got him but in all honesty the ending has tainted a quality match.

from the interviews it seems they all want a rematch which is good.

edit: i say the ref may have reacted too quickly but what if he'd taken another brutal shot, could have seriously injured him. probably a better decision to not risk something like brain damage

Edited by lharris92