Boxing

Cardboard Box City

will he though? as cbc i'm sure has said, who have they fought that is of any real stature?

To be fair thats not really their fault - although they never wanted a go with Valuev. The heavyweight division is terrible at the moment, but they have taken those who are there to take on - shite like Eddie Chambers and Samuel Peters.

There are no heavyweights of any stature really. Mike Tyson never beat anyone of any real stature, (except Spinks maybe) but Id put my money on Tyson in his prime to destroy Haye.

weren't holyfield and lewis pretty good though?

agreed though, if tyson and haye fought in their prime.

i just don't think that haye would be wanting to fight them if he thought he would get 'annihalated' like everyone seems to be saying. he'd probably be avoiding it like mayweather seems to be doing.

Yeah, and he lost to them both. Twice to Holyfield and once to Lewis. Although Lewis fought a Tyson looking for a payday. Tyson didnt care at that point.

the term heavyweight for that fight seemed a bit wrong when you say lewis standing beside the two of them. i didn't realise he was so big!

haye's only a couple stone heavier than me.

also, how big is mick foley? saw a pic of him and joel ross on twitter. dunno if ross is just small or if foleys a lot bigger than i thought.

I know next to nothing about boxing (apart from the one who hits the other one hardest usually wins), but announcing at the end of the fight that he could have won it in the second but didn't because he and his family put bets on a win in the third souns more than a little dodgy

are you allowed to bet on yourself?

from what he said on chris moyles, the only thing you can't do is bet on yourself to lose. obviously saying what he said was stupid though.

whys' he betting anyway? wasn't he making 7 figures?

I know next to nothing about boxing (apart from the one who hits the other one hardest usually wins), but announcing at the end of the fight that he could have won it in the second but didn't because he and his family put bets on a win in the third souns more than a little dodgy

are you allowed to bet on yourself?

I think everyone had put bets on him to win in the third. I think he was perhaps making the point he could (if he'd tried) end it easily in the first (which was also heavily bet on) but didn't because of the payasters who billed this as a fair fight (a quite ridiculous idea)

Ampersand - Foley is huge

Anyone who didn't have money on him to win in the third clearly knows nothing about boxing, it wasn't rigged it was reality - there's no way he would have been likely to win such a hyped game before that, making the conclusion an obvious one.

What about if you had money on round 1 or round 2?

What about if you had money on round 1 or round 2?

Well you were effectively cheated as he could've beaten him in round 1 or 2 if he wanted. So not only did the people who paid PPV for it get f**ked over with a hyped up nothing fight, people who placed bets also got f**ked over (like someone here in work who put £50 on Haye to stop him in the first two rounds).

So it was basically a nothing fight that f**ked over everyone except the two fighters and anyone with insider info.

Well you were effectively cheated as he could've beaten him in round 1 or 2 if he wanted. So not only did the people who paid PPV for it get f**ked over with a hyped up nothing fight, people who placed bets also got f**ked over (like someone here in work who put £50 on Haye to stop him in the first two rounds).

So it was basically a nothing fight that f**ked over everyone except the two fighters and anyone with insider info.

The smart money was on Haye rounds 1-3 ... like I did :D (crap odds though)

But, if he provided specific information about when the fight finished to someone so they could make a financial gain.

Hansie Cronje did this when he was South Africa cricket captain and was banned for life. Is this really that much of a difference? Its like Wayne Rooney saying "We're going to beat team x 2-0" and then him missing an open goal in the last minute to make sure the score stays 2-0. Its match fixing, pure and simple.

The more I think about this the more I'm convinced this should be a Police investigation.

Based upon what though? It's the athletes choice how much and when they put effort in. Could you have sued Usain Bolt in the 08 olympics for celebrating early in the 100m if you'd bet on the time that he'd run?

But, if he provided specific information about when the fight finished to someone so they could make a financial gain.

Hansie Cronje did this when he was South Africa cricket captain and was banned for life. Is this really that much of a difference? Its like Wayne Rooney saying "We're going to beat team x 2-0" and then him missing an open goal in the last minute to make sure the score stays 2-0. Its match fixing, pure and simple.

That only stacks up if both were involved though, he still had to knock the other guy out. You can say he was cocky, but if Audrey wasn't so rubbish, it could have easily backfired.

And I say again, betting almost always ruins sport.

Agree 100%, I don’t bet, zero interest. Also the same point about my complete bewilderment at how horse racing is so popular. Really cant get my head round it.

I agree as well, but imo horse racing is the one exception. The whole thing is based around betting (like greyhounds), where as most other sports are based around human competition, physical prowess and pure skill and technique. Horse racing has such a huge factor of luck, it's like cards.

I understand what people are saying about match fixing, and there's definitely some grounds for the accusation.

However, he's alegedly bet/told others to bet on a particular outcome which he ultimately had no influence on. He could have been knocked out in the first himself, Harrison may not have gone down in the third, Harrison may have ducked and dived enough to go the distance.

Harrison had talked himself up in the build up, the bookies themselves stacked the odds against him (and I know a few people who were tempted at 10/1 to go on Harrison for the win).

Have the bookies lost out or are they laughing all the way to the bank? The fact that they haven't made any public statements suggest the latter. Had they thought there was anything untoward they'd have closed the books and possibly taken evidence to the law.

I understand what people are saying about match fixing, and there's definitely some grounds for the accusation.

However, he's alegedly bet/told others to bet on a particular outcome which he ultimately had no influence on. He could have been knocked out in the first himself, Harrison may not have gone down in the third, Harrison may have ducked and dived enough to go the distance.

Harrison had talked himself up in the build up, the bookies themselves stacked the odds against him (and I know a few people who were tempted at 10/1 to go on Harrison for the win).

Have the bookies lost out or are they laughing all the way to the bank? The fact that they haven't made any public statements suggest the latter. Had they thought there was anything untoward they'd have closed the books and possibly taken evidence to the law.

That assumes that Audley might have thrown a punch or had the ability to run away. I fancy he has neither, which is a tip hat situation for making all the cash he has!