Boxing

Cardboard Box City

I know there's nothing much of interest left this year (although Vitali Klitschko is fighting on Saturday), but there's still a need for a thread about boxing.

Amir Khan destroyed that American last Saturday (although he clearly wasn't up to it before the fight).

More interestingly, it has been reported this week, although I think not confirmed, that Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather have agreed a deal to see them fight on March 13th in Vegas, with each fighter getting $25million that could rise to anything up to $50million depending on ticket sales etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Amir Kahn could fight undefeated Timothy Bradley, who's meant to not be shit (unusual for Khan) in a welterweight unification fight at some point next year.

'I had some preliminary discussions with Warren and Showtime a few months ago and I think it's a fight that might be able to get done.

'I have no problem taking Timothy to England to fight Khan in front of 40,000 screaming Brits. I don't think that's a hard fight for Timothy. I'm surprised Warren wants that fight.

'Khan's been stretched before and I'm more than happy to have Timothy stretch him again.'

Carl Froch is going to fight in Denmark defending his WBC super-middleweight title against Mikkel Kessler in the Super Six tournament on April 17 as well.

The biggest money fight in British boxing at the moment, by quite a considerable distance, is Hatton v Khan.

Khan can make himself by beating Hatton, and if gets beat so what? he got beat by a man who has only been beaten by the two best boxers in his weight class in a generation.

very true.

Just a quick couple of notes on recent boxing / whats coming up...

The Klitscho fight was one of the most boring fights ive ever seen personally. Totally one sided and what the hell is the deal with both fighters showboating in the middle of the fight?? Its not strictly come dancing!

Planning on going to the froch fight in Denmark. Should be very entertaining. Think froch has been building up to this fight for a while so im expecting a froch win, although it may come down to points.

Without doubt the Mayweather v Pacman fight is one of the biggest fights ever to happen. No doubt itl end up being in vegas (although the new dallas cowboys stadium has been mentioned) so that means theres next to no chance of me and my mates getting a ticket...again! I think its a really tough call but I cant see Pacman knocking Mayweather out so im going for a Mayweather win on points.

i've been reading that hatton and khan could fight. surely if hatton gets back to peak fitness then khan would have no chance?

Can't ever see that fight happening. If Khan managed to beat Hatton he'd be even more unpopular than he already is in some circles, and he'd look like he was beating Hatton on the way down too. It's a no win situation for him. It's not a fight he needs to take on either, he's better off knocking out second rate Americans for a while yet.

My money is on Pacman on points next March.

• 3 weeks later...

The Mayweather - Pacquiao looks to be off as it stands given the blood test thing:

Clickey

Arum said: 'The fight is off but Mayweather never wanted it. Manny wanted the fight and was agreeable to terms.

I've been saying this for years he's a psychological coward who doesnt want to fight anybody who has a chance of beating him. Floyd Mayweather walked away'.

Pacquiao is instead meant to be lining up a fight with Josua Clottey:

Clickey

Edited by Cardboard Box City

I heard a little rumour that mayweather wasnt gunna b ready in time for march and wanted another fight to get "match fit" before he met pacman. Thats why he tried to add the blood tests as he knew pacman would't agree to it. Take out of that what you will anyway but it seems semi-feasable to me.

Ive heard that mayweather will either fight matthew hatton or paulie malignaggi instead which seems like a total waste of time to me.

Hopefully the fight we wanna see will be re-arranged for later on in the year. Im sure it will happen eventually as theres too much money at stake for it not to.

On a different point I think Kahn should get some decent fights this year for a change!

Planning on going to froch v kesler in April too which should be a cracker.

Planning on going to froch v kesler in April too which should be a cracker.

Dont know if it will be a cracker, but it'll be close.

Its amazing how Mayweather seems to be coming out the bad guy in all this. This drug testing is standard in the Olympics, so I dont see what the problem is. If this fight were to take place in say Los Angeles, both parties would have to agree to random testing at anytime in the run up to this, and if they didnt, the California State Athletic Commission wouldnt give them a license to fight.

At the end of the day, apparently Pacman feels faint for a week after drawing blood. Bullshit. That means he's got some kind of medical condition which would surely prohibit him from fighting? And how much blood do they need? Its not like they take a full pint is it?

Pacman is totally to blame for this. Its fair for Mayweather to insist on stringent drug testing for what could be the biggest money fight in history. Mayweather even compromised on this, increasing the window for the blood test to take place. But Pacman still says no. This is the stupidest thing in the history of stupid, and personally, if this fight ever takes place, I hope Mayweather hammers him.

Not sure about this at all, think its abit of a lose-lose situation for ricky. If he fights a nobody he'l get slated and if he fights someone decent he'll take a beating.

who do we think the opponents gunna be then??

my personal feeling is that marquez is the most logical fight around. both fighters are past their best and getting on abit but they are still quite big names. But my heart says have a rocky-esq ending and see if mayweather, the old foe, wants a rematch in england. He's said before he would love to fight in England, itl be a big payday for Hatton to retire on and itd be a good warm-up fight for mayweather before he fights pacman at the end of the year!